JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought my first high power rifle and will have the scope for it in a week. How do I go about getting it sighted in? Can I take it somewhere and have a professional do it? Any advise would be helpful.

You can but they charge shop rate for travel and the time to do it.
you mat want to pay to have it mounted and bore sighted, then just go to the
range with a friend that knows how.

First I'd like to welcome you. Don't pay anybody. It's easy. The first thing that you need to do is bore sight it. Mount it on the bench and look through the bore and get it aligned with the target. Keep the gun steady. Now adjust the cross hairs to be dead center of the target. Being new you should start at 25 yards to get it on paper. Then you will be on paper at 50 yards. Get it so it hits dead center to one inch high at 50 yards and then go to 100 yards. Depending on the cartridge and your intended use you can take it from there.

If you can shoot accurately you'll be fine. Have you fired high powered rifles? If you're just learning it's best to let someone else dial the scope in for you. Otherwise you'll have a heck of a time getting consistent groups which is needed for the adjustments. Personally I'll walk it in one shot at a time and then shoot groups to make sure everything is nice and consistent.

You came to the right place for help.

Sounds like a laser bore sighter is in my future! Since it is an autoloader I can't do the missing bolt trick. Thank you for the advise and u tube.

Depending on the area you live in,my local BiMart will boresight(non-laser)your gun for free if you take it in there...Just a thought...You might also call around and ask your local gun shops what they charge to do boresighting,then at least you're close when you get to the range...

bore sighting makes it pretty easy, but you still may need quite a few shots to get it dialed in. Whenever I'm sighting it I usually take a box or two of the cheapest loads in the bullet weight I plan on using and use that to get close, then fine tune with the hunting loads I plan on using. Makes it a little cheaper.

Did not review the You Tube link, but here is my trick.

Assume that you have properly mounted the scope. If the rings allow windage adjustment, you have mounted with even number of turns for each side.

Start with a 25 yard target. Use a couple 8 x 11 peices of paper, so your target area is large. Aim center at the center of the target. Fire one shot.

Put crosshairs on the point you aimed at, holding the rifle steady, adjust the scope so the cross hairs move to the actual bullet hole. Repeat once or twice.

You should now be on the taget at 100 yds within 3 shots.

Eric

Also...be SURE the verticle crosshair is 90 degrees to bore. Do not align with how it feels or looks to you when you are shouldering the rifle. Your point of impact will be off downrange...............

I presume "E Town" means Eugene... if so, its quite a ways for you, but the Cabelas in Lacey will mount and laser boresight to any gun, no charge, and usually do it while you wait there. They'll bring it out to check eye relief, then go back and boresight. I live close (8 miles) so its easy for me..... I've also dropped a few bucks on the counter from time to time, having found things there I did not want to remain there...... but they'll do it for anyone, and happy to do. If you're planning to head north any time soon, that might be something to consider.

Did not review the You Tube link, but here is my trick.

Assume that you have properly mounted the scope. If the rings allow windage adjustment, you have mounted with even number of turns for each side.

Start with a 25 yard target. Use a couple 8 x 11 peices of paper, so your target area is large. Aim center at the center of the target. Fire one shot.

Put crosshairs on the point you aimed at, holding the rifle steady, adjust the scope so the cross hairs move to the actual bullet hole. Repeat once or twice.

You should now be on the taget at 100 yds within 3 shots.

Eric

Yep, thats the way a friend of my father taught me, but he used a big black "X".

Rough bore sight

Piece of butcher paper at 50 yards, 3 rounds.

Repeat at 100 yards, 3 rounds.

Final adjust to your preferred range....It works great..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top