JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WE HAVE ALL SEEN THIS QUESTION BEFORE. HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP YOUR AMMO?

What's the oldest handgun ammo you have fired?

Sig320 Compact with Wilson Extended Slide Stop and Sig Flat Trigger being shot for the very first time. With 147gr hardball ammo from 1990, yes correct from 1990.
20210515_155412-300x169.jpg
20210515_155436-169x300.jpg

20210515_164318-300x169.jpg
20210515_164533-300x169.jpg

If you maintain the ammo appropriately to manufacturer spec it can sit on the shelf for a long time.

20210515_233405-169x300.jpg

20210515_233430-169x300.jpg

Today most manufacturers guarantee shelf life of their ammunition to be at minimal a decade. When stored appropriately, which usually means in a cool, dry, dark, temperature controlled place. I am 100% sure of this ammunitions lineage being in my sisters home and then my home for it's entire lifespan. Even with that knowledge I would never consider this ammunition to be anything more than range fodder, even if it were high dollar self defense ammo. My everyday carry ammo is mainly fired and swapped out at 8 months, sometimes if not carried everyday 12 months but nothing is kept longer than 12 months.

Many military surplus rounds have been fired with much longer shelf life but it is extremely important you completely understand it's lineage and how it was stored. This 9mm ball ammunition has been in my family since it's purchase over 31 years ago. Even though I am very well aware of the life of this ammo I did disassemble one round looking for signs of deterioration, powder with hi ammonia like smell, rust or discoloration around the primer or case.

Aged ammo or ammo you are unsure about is better off being destroyed. I know it is hard to think about destroying ammo during this time of pandemic and ammunition shortage but it is not worth a life. I am sure many of you have seen Scott's video from Kentucky Ballistics. If not or if you think I am totally over blowing this topic about the dangers of aged ammo please go see his 50 Cal Milsurp video.

Back when it was easily found...
I shot plenty of WWII - 1970's surplus ammo though various rifles and pistols.
If stored properly* and not left in the wet....I wouldn't worry too much about it.
*As in not subject to weather , wet , temperature extremes , etc....

That said...
Shooting "old"** ammo is a great way to start a internet donnybrook....:D

**Old being extremely subjective...I don't consider ammo that is 31 years old to be "Old"...
Others of course will differ in their thoughts..
But what do you expect from a guy who shoots 100 - 200 odd year old firearms fairly often....? :D
Andy

I have shot commercial ammo that is older than 31 years old....
As in ammo from the 1960's - 1980's some rimfire , most centerfire rifle , shotgun and handgun.
Again..if stored properly...ain't really anything to worry about.

Some folks differ on this.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top