JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know it seems like a no brainer, but I never gave much thought to owning a Sig because I just knew Sigs were out of my price range. I have a few pistols already (9mm, 40 & 45), a few all metal and a few polymer striker fire. And I have my basic security needs covered. Now I am looking for a fun gun I can just beat on and not worry.

I prefer my metal hammered pistols lately and was always interested in the Beretta 92, but I don't like the slide mounted safety much like the S&W 5906. My thinking was maybe I could get into a PT92 fairly inexpensive. If it breaks it can go back to Taurus with the lifetime warranty. I don't need it on hand. Then I see there are a few Sig Sauer models around $400, give or take. By the way, Sig also has I lifetime warranty but they did seem to make a point that it's a "Limited" warranty.

I know the reputation of the P226 but those are near $1000. They better work. What about the P320 or 2022? I handled them at a few local shops. My brain says forget the Taurus but I can't confirm they suck as hard as SOME say or is it just that everyone wants to say how great Sigs, Porches, Super Models, ect are to up their status. I have and XD40 that is boringly reliable but not sexy anymore and a bit old school. I also have a Bersa that is mostly looked down on but after an initial tweak has been stone reliable.

Anyway my options are Sig Sauer P320 or 2022 in 40 cal or Taurus PT92 in 9mm. I have shot several Glocks, M&Ps and the like. Just looking for a different experience and don't laugh, something to give to my kid or family when I'm old. Thanks.

I have owned a number of Taurus wheel guns but really have no experience with there autos. I have a .38 J frame size Taurus that I have had for 20+ years and shot thousands of rounds out of and it still works just like the day I got it.

If you really want a SIG....

My recommendation would be to watch for police buy backs. Several years ago I bought a Sig 229 in .40 for $330 from Buds that was a buy back. The night sights where dead but other than that it was a fine pistol

$550 for a used one in .357 SIG

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/.../718004169/SIG+P226+357SIG+CERTIFIE+PRE+OWNED

Thanks for the reply. Funny thing is, I sm from California. Ex-military. Several family members we cop, but for the most part the mentality was guns are for cops & robbers. No one else needs them. Even though I like guns it just didn't seem like something I should be a part of.

Now I am free I can't stop myself. I have to try everything gun related. I don't understand how a person can only own one gun and seem...happy.

I've owned both brands - and would take a Sig any day, even for a "fun gun" - every Sig I've owned was boringly reliable and well made. The only Taurus I've owned that I cared for at all was a 20+ year old .357Mag wheel gun - which was an almost exact clone of a Smith & Wesson, made before Taurus earned a poor reputation with their automatics.

My experience with Taurus autos was pretty terrible, the one I had and others that family owned and I shot. Broken triggers were common. One gun had a bad barrel. On the flip side, I used to work with a guy who was a reserve cop (we were private armed security guards) - his PD made him carry a Glock on duty, but when he was working as a rent a cop, he carried a PT92 in stainless finish and was wicked accurate with it, and that gun ate literally everything he could feed it. We didn't have a standard load mandated by our employer, so he carried these weird 90 grain rounds that looked like they were made of tin, and had had a polymer ball imbedded in them (these were NOT Pow-R-Ball loads tho) - they punched holes as sharp as a hole-punch in his qualification targets. That PT92 seemed to love them.

I would personally look for one of the classic metal framed Sigs - I've owned the 2022 and it's predecessor the Sig Pro 2340 - while the ergos were great I just didn't love them nor did I shoot them as well as the metal framed guns. A police trade in P-225 (compact single stack 9mm) shouldn't be hard to find for $400 or so. Great guns. Also check out Summit Gun Broker - he buys lots (literally a lot of guns at auction - police trade in guns or evidence guns released and auctioned off) and sometimes has smoking deals on those guns.

Several family members we cop, but for the most part the mentality was guns are for cops & robbers. No one else needs them.
In a 'left handed' way this suggests the 'cops' identify themselves with the 'robbers' IE possibly by considering they are the only ones to interact with the 'robbers'. Putting it in simple terms this mentality suggests the 'cops' place themselves at no higher lever than the 'robbers' IF they are the only two categories who should own guns:
guns are for cops & robbers.

Id get a PT1911
While I did own a PT92 I opted for a real 92FS (purchased from a member here)

Other than a lack of decent holster options the PT92 never gave me any guff.. However it felt MUCH lighter than the 92FS I currently have.. That I didnt care for, as the Pt92 is bulkier yet felt lighter.

As much as I like Taurus, I wouldnt suggest the PT92 unless its their railed version then it would be worth the savings. Otherwise Id get a 92FS instead.

Sigs (some) are a bunch of money for no good darn reason when there are other great options out there for a lot less.
Now if you can get a PT92 for $380 or under then yes, by all means then its worth it.

Dude, carry a SIG P220.

It is the only SIG to get, if you really want to have a true SIG experience. Plus, it is the handgun that Navy Seal Chris Kyle carried in Iraq.

Furthermore, it is so very sexy, that more women will want to hop in bed with you.

DSC_0656a.jpg

I have had a stainless PT92FS for about 15 years, absolutely love it. Reliable as can be and really prefer the frame mounted safety/decocker over the slide mounted Beretta model. I did shoot a buddies Beretta 92 and I liked it, but was noticeably heavier when unloaded. I also found out that when the gun was on safe, the trigger went limp or was released or something that instantly told you it was on safe. That is something that the Taurus doesn't do. I am undecided on that feature. One more thing is the Taurus mags hold 17, Berettas are 15. Actually I should say I had this one. My wife claimed ownership of this one shortly after we got married. I couldn't say no.....:rolleyes:

I also have a PT1911 in stainless and also love that. It has many features of a high end 1911 without the high end price. It doesn't have quite the detailed workmanship in the checkering that $1k+ guns have but it is way nicer than anything else in its price range and has also been rock solid reliable.

These are the only two Taurus guns I currently own but have had several others and only had an issue with a PT 145, polymer framed sub-compact 45. The mags would fall out from spring tension when fully loaded after the first round. Down loaded 2 rounds they did fine. Not cool I know, but I sent it in and had it back in 2-3 weeks with a new mag and improved mag release installed with shipping covered both ways. I was pleasantly surprised as it was my first and only experience with Taurus CS and was expecting it to be horrible from the reviews I was reading. I honestly don't understand where the bad reputation for Taurus comes from. If there is an issue with something they made, its been my experience, they will fix it free of charge, for the current owner. Not many companies will honor a warranty it for a second hand purchase. I wouldn't (and don't) hesitate buying a taurus, so long as it passes an initial inspection like you would do for anything else.

I have owned a number of Taurus wheel guns but really have no experience with there autos. I have a .38 J frame size Taurus that I have had for 20+ years and shot thousands of rounds out of and it still works just like the day I got it.

If you really want a SIG....

My recommendation would be to watch for police buy backs. Several years ago I bought a Sig 229 in .40 for $330 from Buds that was a buy back. The night sights where dead but other than that it was a fine pistol

$550 for a used one in .357 SIG

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/.../718004169/SIG+P226+357SIG+CERTIFIE+PRE+OWNED

Bud's has had used LE P220's from time to time as well. And other dealers have them available too. Here is one selling them for $490:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...220used/sig-sauer-p220-.45-auto-police-trades

This would be a much more manly gun that would really get the OP's testosterone flowing.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/sig-p220-review

The Eugene Police Department carries the P220, and they have not had a bad guy survive a pistol gunfight with their officers since they started carrying it. Ironically, the only man that they have wounded in recent years was an illegal alien from Mexico named Mendoza Aleman, who was shot with an AR-15 back in 2009, after he himself had murdered another illegal alien. He is currently serving 25 years to life in state prison.

Become real men everyone, and get a SIG P220:

DSC_0654a.jpg

I've owned two Taurus revolvers - my experience with them and from what I have read online, is that their designs (mostly copies of other handguns) and materials are good, but their quality control sucks. You stand about a 50/50 chance of getting a lemon.

The Taurus .44 Mag I owned and shot, had the best trigger of any revolver I have ever shot - smooth and it broke clean. The Ti Tracker in .357 OTOH has a gritty creepy trigger and the cylinder gap was so close (less than 0.001") out of the box that it jammed after the first fifty rounds.

SIG - the quality of manufacture is there, but there seems to be a number of their pistols that most people dislike, and others that people love. I like my P229 and I think I would like most of the P22x models.

I have no problem with taurus firearms had a couple and they have been reliable but, I enjoy my used sigs for almost the same price much better and you can find used sig 220 everywhere for 400 to 600

Going to the range today. Renting the Taurus and they said there were plenty of Sigs on hand. I'm slightly leaning towards the P2022 as of now but want to keep an open mind.

I'm trying not to repeat the same pistol in my small collection. Some of my gun owning friends are starting to tease me until I point out that, uh, you have a rifle, shotgun and a few pistols yourself. They add up pretty quick. At one point I picked a gun with my wife and kid in mind ( for them to use, not as targets of course) but they have no interest so I can consider physically bigger pistols.

Save up, buy the Sig.

I own only one and it is the sweetest shooting handgun I have shot.

After handling one at NW Armory, I went home and dug a semi 308 out of the back of the safe to pay for a P226 TacOps. $115o with a short reset trigger and 4 extended 20 round mags.

That is quite a testimonial..... Heck I feel like less of a man than I did 2 minutes ago simply because I dont have one.

The crimson trace on a full size gun made me feel like more of a man. I use sights on a full size pistol. I know Lance gets all the hot babes with that thing but really when you keep showing how great your gun is.....It is kinda a let down to the ladies when you pull out your other gun and it has to find its target without a laser....Girls get their hopes up and then realize it was just the sig 45 you had going for ya.....The .22 you have is nowhere near as cool.

The crimson trace on a full size gun made me feel like more of a man. I use sights on a full size pistol. I know Lance gets all the hot babes with that thing but really when you keep showing how great your gun is.....It is kinda a let down to the ladies when you pull out your other gun and it has to find its target without a laser....Girls get their hopes up and then realize it was just the sig 45 you had going for ya.....The .22 you have is nowhere near as cool.

When it comes down to it, I'll put my M&P pro with the Trigicon RMR on it up against his cute little SIG any day. Mr. Plastic Fantastic has a way of making everyone jealous, even pretty boy SIGS

Are you going to shoot this new gun or just be happy to have it? :D:D:D Most guys don't shoot a gun enough to even break it in much less train hard with it to see if it's going to work out. Notice how many times you read in the gun sales "safe queen" or "only 200 rounds through this one".

If you are going to buy a gun to train with then buy quality, if you are just buying a gun to have then it doesn't matter what you buy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top