JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
gunbroker in tigard almost always has atleast one of each in 40 and 9 and usally has a couple used also

also give jason at JC Weaponry a call he will prolly have the best price and i think he has some of the new p228r's

I have 6 Sigs and love em all, but just based on what the Sig guys say about the Mosquito, I would never ever own one. For .22 I have a Browning Buckmark Varminter with a scope, and a Colt Cadet. Both are great pistols.

So since you are happy with what Sig lovers say was Sigs worse pistol ever, you should be real happy with about anything else that they make. Perhaps the one pistol you might want to look at now which may appreciate most is the 228 made in West Germany. It is one I don't own, but if I was starting over from scratch, I'd try to get right now.

:s0155:

220 and 229 owner here...

ALL new sigs are made here in the US. You can still find a few 239's that were made in Germany.

If it is 100% german made, there will be a date code stamped in the dust cover, under the muzzle.

Both of my pistols are circa 1998. The slides are german and the frames US made.

Personally, I prefer the "folded" slide sigs over the stainless steel models.

If you want to stick to 9mm, then I'd get a 226. The 229 is nice, available in 40sw,357sig, and 9MM. The slide on the 229 however, is HUGE! It is VERY heavy and makes the pistol a little unbalanced without a full mag. ( IMHO)

If I were you, I would get a CPO, certified pre owned. These are usually LE trade ins that have been very well taken care of. There might be a little holster wear, but the internals will be EXCELLENT! They are usually 2-3 hundred less than new ones.

Congrats on getting the Signess. It is a never ending disease...

220 and 229 owner here...

Congrats on getting the Signess. It is a never ending disease...

Thanks QXSOUP,

In my opening post, I was convienced that I wanted a 9mm, but am now re-thinking that. I'll likely add others, but would like to find the Sig that will best 'fill my needs' for right now.

First priority is for home protection.
Then, to have another gun that is fun to target practise with. (hense the 9mm reasoning)

So what would you suggest..... 9mm, 40sw or 357sig?

Frog.

Don't forget the 220 in .45acp few would argue with it's stopping power and you can buy a .22 conversion slide with it so you can still afford to practice with it!

I would avoid the .357sig for home protection you will go through to many walls, it is more of a penetration round and who knows who is behind the wall? Neighbors or family? Just something to think about but I am far from an expert in anything!

Steven

Don't forget the 220 in .45acp few would argue with it's stopping power and you can buy a .22 conversion slide with it so you can still afford to practice with it!

I would avoid the .357sig for home protection you will go through to many walls, it is more of a penetration round and who knows who is behind the wall? Neighbors or family? Just something to think about but I am far from an expert in anything!

Steven

Thanks again, Steve. You are a wealth of information.

Based soley on what I've heard and read, I'm not to big on 'conversions'. On the other hand, I haven't considered it in the Sig line. Also, from what I've seen, the conversion kits are about half the cost of a whole gun, and I'm thinking that a gun will hold it's value better than the kit. But nice try. You're just tring to get my Mosquito! :s0112:

Just kidding, of course!!

Frog.

That is the nice thing about the 229.

You can shoot .40 OR .357sig with just a barrel change. The mags are the same. A .357sig barrel will cost you ~190 from sig directly, but it can always be found online cheaper.

.357sig is WAYYYY to expensive also. When you can find it in stock, plan on spending ~35 bucks a box!

Frog.

If you go with the 226 in .40 (don't know about other models) you can pick up a .357sig barrel and basically have two guns in one. When I got my barrel it was about $110, it just drops in and you use the same mags.

QXSOUP beat me to it, guess I type slow.

Thanks QXSOUP,

Frog.

I'm partial to 9mm. Primarily because of the cost, availability and global acceptance. Would I rather be shot with a 9mm or a 40sw? Probably a 9mm, but that's a lot like asking would you rather get hit in the head 15 times by a 1 3/4" thick pipe, or 10 times by a 2" thick pipe. At the end of the day, I'm not convinced there's a whole lot of difference; but then, I'm no ballistics expert. Before you buy, though, figure out how often you plan on shooting the gun, then check ammo prices and availability. It can be an eye-opener. Best luck w/ whatever you choose!

c

Yes QXSOUP, 357 is on the bottom of my list too. 9 is still looking good.

It's kinda like cameronhu said, '15 times with a small pipe or 10 times with a big one'!

And I'm not, right now anyway, too interested in a conversion kit set-up. I've got a pretty light workday on Tuesday, so I'm planning to get out and do some 'touchy-feelie'.

Thanks again to you all. I sure appreciate all the info you have taken the time to share! :s0155:

Frog.

well to most
they just mean the gun is 20 years older :)
and has 20 years more wear
but the prices rarely reflect that

I have a gun made in 1980 (Maybe 1981). Unfired, no wear. The age of a firearm has absolutely nothing to do with how much "wear" it has, or how many rounds, etc.

And you can get a new German made Sig to this day.

I have a gun made in 1980 (Maybe 1981). Unfired, no wear. The age of a firearm has absolutely nothing to do with how much "wear" it has, or how many rounds, etc.

And you can get a new German made Sig to this day.

I didn't know you still had this. If Frog isn't interested, I am. PM me a price if you have one ;) - If you don't have a price, I have an Ithaca DSPS and a Stainless Ruger 22/45 I'll give you + cash.

Hey Frog, when you started this thread, I don't remember "home defense" .....In that area, the "Legal" aspect might be worth considering, too. Although I've always preferred the DA/SA semi-auto, for self defense I'm leaning to DAO. In today's "who knows how they'll come at you"- totally screwed up legal world- I'm looking for as much 'cover' as I can find and still get the job done.
Hence, my recent purchase is a Sig P250.
Lots of nice features in 2 different pistol sizes, 3 different grip sizes, high cap in a compact, most come with night sights and very easy/cost effective to change calibers w/o buying the whole gun.
I bought the compact model in .40, and immediately found a deal on a 9mm conversion. Taking it to the indoor range, I find I like the nine for practice there. As I am getting used to the trigger -old dog syndrome- I am appreciating the ergonomics of again, a Sig. It simply feels more solid than other polymer pistols to me.
Although I've never been a big polymer fan, I think this is a good one, and worthy of a close look.
One of the fun things about this type of decision, is the task of sorting thru some of the best guns around!