JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need some input....

I presently own a Mosquito, which has impressed to the point that I'm now 'sold on Sig'!

I'am looking to buy another, in 9mm and the P226 seems to be the gun of choice. However, I'm a bit confussed.

I thought all Sigs were made in Germany, but it appears that some are built in the US. Any differences?

Also, is the P228 discontinued? And what's the difference between the P226 & P228; they both look like the same gun to me??

All advise and enlightment is much appreciated.

Frog.

If your impressed by the mosquito be prepared to be blown away by a real sigsauer.

I love my 226!

They are very addictive!

The 228 is discontinued although not to hard to get as is the 225. the 226 and 229 are current production along with the 220. they used to all be made in Germany but modern production is a mix typically slides in germany and frames in usa. Although some are all USA made. The older guns are typically considered far higher quality then new although my 226rElite is an awsome gun produced in 2007or 2008 I think.

Spend some time on the sig site or the sigforum.com good resources!

Steven

Well, you are on the right track with Sig.
Personally I think their full size frame is wasted on the dimunitive 9mm....
How is that for "enlightenment"
Go 40 in 226 or 229
The smaller P239 is perfect for that nine.....
Still, you can't miss(fire) with a Sig!
Oh, and check out the aftermarket Hogue grips.
They are a definite plus!

Last Edited:
From what I know, the first generation ones coming into the US were made in what was then WEST GERMANY. When the wall fell around 90-91?, and East and West Germany were united it was just Germany again. The sig p229 had a stainless slide milled here and the frames were made in Germany.

I believe the majority of SIGs are made this way now. I can speculate probably due to the high cost of machining stainless steel & German labor expenses. I've shot and owned both. Accuracy seems equal but I like knowing that the gun was fitted and made under the same roof. I prefer the West Germany guns personally, with all their proof-marked glory.

I picked up my Sig 226 .40 in about 1999 and love it. The slide was made in USA and frame made in Germany. I've never handled one made entirely in Germany, but from looking at mine I would say that the frame is of higher machined quality than the slide. Although the machining marks on the slide are minor, there are none on the frame.

First of all welcome to the club there are alot of us who prefer the sigs.
Te P228 is a slightly smaller version of the P226 they are both double stack. They were both originally made,assembled and proofed (test fired) in germany. When sig decided to start using forgings for their slides in stead of the folded stamped steel they moved the machining process to the United States and kept the machining process for the aluminum frames in germany. They shipped the frames to the US and assembled the guns here. The main reason for the forged slides was the advent of the .357 sig cartrage, the 9mm guns would need stronger slides to handle the new hotter ammo. so they went to the heavier forged slides and renamed the p228 the P229 you may here people say the the us guns are of inferior quality but this isnt the whole story as it turns out the forged slides are very hard compared to the aluminum frames and this causes more wear than you would see in the stamped steel slide guns. So this would be my sugestion: if you are buying a 9mm that doesnt need added stregnth try to find one with a stamped slide, but don't fear the newer forged slide models I have a P229 in .40/.357 and have had zero problems with premature wear. I keep it clean and oiled. Oh and I hear that sig is importing some P228's in 9mm and they have an accesory rail and I would assume a stamped slide.

you should atleast hold both pistols befor you buy anything

i like the 228/9 size much better then the 226

also 1 other thing no one has talked about is weight
my 228 with a full mag didnt weigh as much as my 229 empty

this is what i carry most days

p228ct.JPG

wow that is one freaking huge gun!!!!

I am curious (ya thread hijack) does your trigger finger get in the way of the lazer when your not shooting but aiming? I would like to try one someday before I spend the change to get one on my 226

Steven

That is the first good thing I have heard about the Mosquito. I have owned many many different handguns and since I got a sig I just cant get excited about anything else but other sigs :yes:

Thank you all for all the replies!

I may now have more questions, but starting to 'see the light'.

Size IS an concern for me. One of the things I really like about the Mosquito is the physical size of the gun. It fits my small hand perfectly.

So what motoman98 posted really interests me. The Mosquito is supposted to be 90% of the size of the P226, so does that mean that the P238 is, or is nearly, the same size as the Mosquito or is it larger than the P226? candyman basicly said the same as motoman98, adding weight as an additional consideration.

I'd also like to know more about what buick455 said regarding sig importing some P228's (if smaller in size than the P226) in 9mm with an accessory rail.

The 9mm vs 40cal is still an issue for me. I know, bigger is supposed to be better, but I like the idea of having a larger capacity magazine. I guess that one is preference.

So I thinks the next step is as candyman suggested. Get out and handle the different frames and see what fits. I hate to waste a dealers time, but am really hoping to find a used model. Maybe I'll try someplace friendly, like Kieth's. ;)

Again guys, thanks for all your help.
Frog.

That is the first good thing I have heard about the Mosquito. I have owned many many different handguns and since I got a sig I just cant get excited about anything else but other sigs :yes:

I think the 'secret' is using CCI Mini-Mags! I've tried (just for fun) lots of other brands and none provides the reliability the sig is known for. They also include a heavier spring so as to use the CCI Stingers, but I haven't tried them yet.

Anyway, my Mosquito with CCI Mini-Mags, has never missed a beat!

Frog.

Size IS an concern for me. One of the things I really like about the Mosquito is the physical size of the gun. It fits my small hand perfectly.

Find a way to try out a Walther P99. Sigs are good but Walther P99s just have a nice fit and three different size back straps to accomodate different size hands. I left the middle back strap on mine though the larger one might be slightly better for me. I like Sig triggers better but I shot better with my P99 than I did a 226 and HK USP that I had so when times got tough the P99 is the one I kept.

although I have not confirmed it myself my understanding is that the 229 and mosquito are very close in size. I know personally my 226 is a little big but with a short trigger and slim grips it sure feels good now. And with my new .22 conversion slide I can afford to shoot it more also!

Steven

On the same note...a buddy behind the counter at fishermans said that they send in more Mosquito's for factory repair because of issues they have.

sorry for the hijack.

I have a W. German 228. The overall size difference between it and the Mosquito is not too great, except for the grip and trigger. If you have small hands, it might be an issue for you. As far as quality goes, it's night and day. If you think the Mosquito is nice, wait until you get your hands on a 22x. And welcome to club Sig : )

Find a way to try out a Walther P99. Sigs are good but Walther P99s just have a nice fit and three different size back straps to accomodate different size hands. I left the middle back strap on mine though the larger one might be slightly better for me. I like Sig triggers better but I shot better with my P99 than I did a 226 and HK USP that I had so when times got tough the P99 is the one I kept.

Sorry Jafo, but the Walthers just don't 'do it' for me! Each to their own, and I'm stuck on Sig!! :D

Frog.

I have a W. German 228. The overall size difference between it and the Mosquito is not too great, except for the grip and trigger. If you have small hands, it might be an issue for you. As far as quality goes, it's night and day. If you think the Mosquito is nice, wait until you get your hands on a 22x. And welcome to club Sig : )

Thanks cameronhu, I'm looking forward to it!! :s0155:

I'm thinking the grip is the important area of my concern. I'm going out next week and try a few on for size.

Frog.

Thanks cameronhu, I'm looking forward to it!! :s0155:

I'm thinking the grip is the important area of my concern. I'm going out next week and try a few on for size.

Frog.

Hogue makes two rubber grips for the 228. One is a full wrap-around, which I love but I have bigger palms. The other set they make are panels, and folks with smaller hands really dig those. Take a look on midway.com for reviews (more reviews there than anywhere on those grips). I've also used a Pachmyar "glove" - Nice feel, but even bigger yet- Probably not for you. Good luck!

c