JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had SIGs for decades and they're still my preferred carry, but I can't help but think Ron is dragging SIG down the wrong road and in another decade they'll be making the same survival decisions as Colt.

I know that patents take time to matriculate through the USPTO
It might be argued as an Ex Post Facto matter. Article I Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution prohibits Congress from passing ex post facto laws, but that provision has generally been applied in the context of criminal or civil sanctions imposed to punish persons for past acts.

Without further details of the claims, it's reasonable to presume this might be part of the defense, if infringement had occurred.

Without further details of the claims, it's reasonable to presume this might be part of the defense, if infringement had occurred.
Maybe, but not. This actually happens all the time. The patent is in effect from the date of filing (in USA) once it is granted. This scenario plays out all the time. If that's what happened.

As much as I enjoy my P365, I have a much older Kel-Tec P-11 that holds 10+1 in about the same size as the P365. True, the Sig is a much more refined animal and it's striker fired rather than hammer fired, but they are far from the first subcompact, double stack, 9mm. Everybody always acts like these kind of things never existed, but it is not a new idea, just their rendition, which I think Sig did a great job on. Suing Springfield seems a bit hypocritical to me.
Why aren't they suing SCCY over the very concept? In 1995, the American Rifleman did a comparo of the Kel-Tec and the gen 1 Kahr. Why didn't Sig sue back then?

Oh, wait! Sig didn't build anything like that back then.

The patent probably isn't on "small magazines that hold 10"
Just what we need when demand is outstripping supply: internecine warfare. What's with these Euro-snobs anyway? Gaston Glock sues S&W over its 'Chinese' copy. Sig sues Springfield over a feature that was actually invented and patented by Elbert Searle at Savage arms in 1905! Surely, the Searle family should sue all double-stack makers, if only to get great-grandpa's name stamped on the mags.

A civil tort (lawsuit) must demonstrate damages via impugned reputation, financial loss, restraint of trade or some other nebulous factor - all of this while Sig is at max production. Kinda points out how silly all of this is.

Last Edited:
Springfield makes some decent and some fine 1911's - for a long time.

The 1911 has only been around for 110 years. While I love the platform Springfield can hardly pat themselves on the back for not messing up one of the most copied firearms in existence.

My remark was in reply to the one prior about M1/M14's from Springfield. How long the 1911 or Springfield have been around is largely unrelated to the fact that they make good ones at a decent price. I own several (of several brands) and speak from experience.

A small sidetrack: I would love Mossberg to make an MC1 with 10-12 round capacity. The MC2, being larger in both directions, kinda defeats the purpose. Back to the local news....

The Hellcat is the first Springfield (aside from 1911s) that looks the slightest bit interesting to me.

Didn't one of the ComBloc handguns come with the double stack to single stack magazine, way back in the 1950s? And then we have Hi Point's still yet unreleased Yeetus Cannonitus G2 that had a similar double to single stack magazine taking the idea from the Communists, and refined a bit by Redball for the .45acp Hi Point carbines.. jDeJNBy.jpg 20190514_094316-700x662.jpg Mag-Picture1-Revised.jpg

Didn't one of the ComBloc handguns come with the double stack to single stack magazine, way back in the 1950s?
Rifles had staggered mags for a while now. This patent doesn't seem to be about the staggered mag as such, it's claimed (AFAICT) to be an invention that improves the staggered stack magazine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top