JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeing as how these guns are discontinued now I imagine their value is going to increase over the years.
These guns came in a few different variations. The latest batch you were able to get the p229 in 9mm and .40cal and the p226 in the same offering. A while back there was an early production of these guns I believe you could get the p229 in .357 sig but that version has been discontinued for some time. I have seen a few of the older .357s and honestly they really don't seem to be all that valuable at least not in any significant amounts. I have the p226 in .40 cal and it seems to me that this would probably be the least desirable. I feel like the newer 229s in .40 cal seem like they should be sought after but for some reason .40cal in general never really seem to be that desirable by the masses at least not lately. If anyone has any expertise on these guns I would appreciate any info as I'm thinking about picking up a 229 for collection purposes but I'm really not sure if it's even worth it or which version would be the most desirable in the future.

Here's my current gun

0CD371B3-A0A9-41D9-94BD-7DC3BD6EC5C1.jpeg

The 229 sport in 40 is the pick for me, all stainless. Those who don't appreciate the 40 are undereducated. I hear them piss and moan about ammo cost like whimpering children. They will try and convince you that the 9 " is as good as". I don't care, I reload.

But if you want a quality german made pistol the 229 sport isn't a bad way to go. Expensive, sure, but ya gets whats ya pays for.

Anymore, I only buy in .40 but then get the conversion barrel for 9mm. For the SIGs I bought in 9mm, I buy a .40 conversion 'kit' (barrel, slide, recoil spring and sometimes the locking block).

I like .40 better as it is a better and more effective cartridge, but seems to not be much more recoil. But being a prepper I want the ability to shoot 9mm when the .40 ammo runs out (if you get enough, you shouldn't run out as a pistol would be used only as a backup, not as a primary weapon).

I prefer the 226 (my fave is the Mk25) over the 229, but the 229 is a bit more compact for carry. I also have a 224 and a 227 (Tactical). The 224 is more compact yet, but not as easy to shoot due to the shorter grips.

Due to desirability to the masses, I've been able to pick up guns in .40 for almost half the price a 9mm version would cost. I'm sure that works both ways, if I ever chose to sell. My .02 is to buy compacts in 9mm because that's what's trendy and therefore most likely to retain, if not increase in value. That being said, if I owned an all stainless Sig,I wouldn't be selling at all because they're hard to find and would of course be hard to replace.

I'm old school. So, the P228 suits me fine. Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

But truth be known....I do still own a P220, P229 (in 9mm) and a P226.

Aloha, Mark

Due to desirability to the masses, I've been able to pick up guns in .40 for almost half the price a 9mm version would cost. I'm sure that works both ways, if I ever chose to sell. My .02 is to buy compacts in 9mm because that's what's trendy and therefore most likely to retain, if not increase in value. That being said, if I owned an all stainless Sig,I wouldn't be selling at all because they're hard to find and would of course be hard to replace.

Ya I was thinking about selling mine if I can pick up a 229 but I'm kind of like why buy another .40 at this point but honestly I feel like if I could pick up a stainless elite in .40 it would still be more valuable than my 226

Last Edited:
I've been considering a gun in .40 S&W for a few months but haven't found the right one yet.

My first choice was a S&W 4006 CHP turn in but the places that sell them at a reasonable price send you what they want to send you so you do not know what shape it will be in and those I've seen on Gun Broker for a bit more that are rated at Excellent+ look like they have pitting or extreme wear. This is not what I consider an Excellent+ shape, so I've shied away from those as well. So if I can't hold it in my hand first I don't want to take the chance on being disappointed in the condition of the gun I get.

My other choices I've been looking at are the Beretta APX, and CZ P-07 or P-09. Although it is currently at the bottom of my list, I'm also considering the Glock G35. I've not been able to hold any of these yet though, so I don't know how they will feel to me. I considered a Sig and it would be high on my list, but they are much more expensive.

I do not reload but the price of the ammo doesn't bother me since I am not shooting thousands of rounds like some people and I consider it the cost of the hobby... and a lot cheaper than stuff I've had to buy for some of my other hobbies. :) Unless I change my mind or run into something I can't pass up, a .40 caliber gun of one type or another will be my next gun.

Mike

Were these really discontinued?

I feel like Sig claims it discontinues handguns on a regular basis and then 12 months later they're magically back.

If you want an excuse to buy one of these beautiful handguns, go for it. Would I buy the full catalog as an investment tool? Personally, no.

That said I love my P226 and P220-10 elite. Wish I had the 229.

Some dude had a 229 on armslist but he seems flaky so I don't really give a bubblegum now I'm waiting to buy a Colt M4A1 instead but if sig releases a new stainless P229 in 40 I will pick it up

Anymore, I only buy in .40 but then get the conversion barrel for 9mm. For the SIGs I bought in 9mm, I buy a .40 conversion 'kit' (barrel, slide, recoil spring and sometimes the locking block).

I like .40 better as it is a better and more effective cartridge, but seems to not be much more recoil. But being a prepper I want the ability to shoot 9mm when the .40 ammo runs out (if you get enough, you shouldn't run out as a pistol would be used only as a backup, not as a primary weapon).

I prefer the 226 (my fave is the Mk25) over the 229, but the 229 is a bit more compact for carry. I also have a 224 and a 227 (Tactical). The 224 is more compact yet, but not as easy to shoot due to the shorter grips.
By this "conversion barrel for 9mm" do you mean simply buying a drop-in 9mm barrel or is it really a special type of barrel to fit the larger slide frame?
I have a P226 and P229 in 40 SW i am trying to sell, but if I can convert to a 9mm, I may keep it.
Thanks.

Yep. Discontinued.
Still plenty around though.

I want to get a full stainless, P226 X5 Short kinda makes me pee on myself.
A P226 LDC II is more in my price range though. It's kinda like an Elite.

By this "conversion barrel for 9mm" do you mean simply buying a drop-in 9mm barrel or is it really a special type of barrel to fit the larger slide frame?
I have a P226 and P229 in 40 SW i am trying to sell, but if I can convert to a 9mm, I may keep it.
Thanks.

Yes - you can buy drop in 9mm conversion barrels that will work in the .40/.357 slide from EFK or Barsto and maybe elsewhere. They have them for the 226, 229 and 224.

SIG's online store sometimes has conversion kits (barrel, slide, recoil spring) and some barrels - but I don't think they have any barrels for .40 to 9mm.

I have both, barrels and kits for both 229 and 226. They work fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top