JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for matching handguns with factory night sights for daughters in 9mm.

I have been looking at the Sig Sauer SP2022, Springfield XDM and the Glock 17 or 19 and S&W M&P .
The lowest price is on the Sig, by over $100.00 compared to the Glocks and S&W M&P.
The Springfield XDM's are about $200.00 more.

Price is not my main concern, reliability and durability are since they will be fired quite a bit in the long run.

Since they are used to the double/single action i was leaning towards the Sig, smaller learning curve than going to a striker fired handgun with a different trigger, grip angle, etc..

I was trying to teach them how to shoot in low light around dusk, like i was taught in the military and they could not get a good sight picture, even though we could see the targets, but they were hesitant to shoot without a good sight picture. I then tried to show them how to use a flashlight in combination with the handgun and they did not like that option either....

So i decided it was time to update their handguns to ones with night sights and rails for lights or lasers, if they choose to do that, so if the need should arise and they must make a low light shot they will be confident with the handgun and there ability to do so.

Has anyone here had a bunch of trigger time on the Sig SP2022, that can give me some feedback on there reliability,durability, etc..

And other points that i may have overlooked on the other handguns as well?

Thank's

M67

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your choices. For me I went with Glock because of the aftermarket support and getting a .22 conversion kit. I like being able to shoot .22 all day long and all that trigger time converts into my carry gun. I went with Tactical Solutions .22 kit and as of right now they only make them for 1911 and Glock G17/22/34/35/37. Good luck,
Mike

After checking out the SigForum and reading the post SP2022 vs Glock 19 as well as other sites online.
I think i am leaning towards the Sig SP2022. It seems no one had any negative remarks about about any of the choices i listed above. Since my ladies are already used to the double/single action it makes sense to stay with what they know. :s0155:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice - Can't go wrong with, A - Staying with what they know, B - Going with a smaller size grip than the Glock, C - Saving $$$. Plus that Sig might look more appealing to a lady than a Glock. The Glock ugly takes time to grow on some.

For the price, you can't go wrong with the Sig SP2022. I would suggest that you find a gun store that has them in stock and try the fit and see if your group feels comfortable with the handling and fit.
If you are not concerned with price, I suggest that you also take a look at the HK P30 or HK P30L. These are extremely durable, ergonomic, and the safety is very user friendly.

We will be going to the gun show this weekend so my ladies can handle the pistols and see what fits their hands, points natually, etc..
I am also itching to check out the Walther PPQ, even though it does not come with night sights from the factory it is on my list as well.

I like the Glocks over all the mentioned pistols because it's simple, reliable, good factory mag capacity, and aftermarket parts are plenty. I do like the XD triggers and the M&P has a good trigger too but the XD wins IMO. You can get the M&P and Glock at a LEO discount price if you are LEO, Security, and EMT I believe.... I am not sure if military can get the discount, if so I think you have to be active. Also there is a limit on how many you can buy in a year. I did own a Sig SP2022 and it felt good in the hand, the grips can be changed and the price was close to what you can get the Glock or the M&P with the discount. I didn't get a chance to shoot the Sig because I was offered a good price for it and I sold it before I could shoot it.

After visiting the gunshow on saturday my daughters liked the Sig's the best, but all we could find was 2 with night sights, so...

I orderd 4 of the Sig Sp2022 9mm's with night sights yesterday from my local dealer for a better price than i could find any where else. I just got done ordering 8 additional 15 rd factory mags today online for a great price. My daughters are excited to go break them in, when they arrive.
Now we need to find holsters and mag pouches to fit my ladies tastes.

Nice choice! I just purchased 2 SP2022's, with one for my small framed wife, and she has no problem handling and shooting it at all! The only thing was that I feel you really need to get some rounds through them before I would trust them for defense. Both guns, the first 50 rounds had overfeed(don't know terminology?) happening every 5-10 rounds or so, where it would feed too quickly, and jam the gun. After 50 rounds, both were perfect. Shot 200 rds though both.

M67, where'd you find the deals on the 15 round factory mags? I was contemplating the Mec-Gar 17rd mags, because they were cheaper than any factory mag I could find ~$30. I have the Blackhawk Serpa in the mail for my sp2022, I'll let you know how that feels.

CDNN has the Mec Gar magazines for 29.99 which i will order as well, but for now i wanted all factory magazines, which i ordered at Top Gun for 31.95 per magazine.

If anyone knows where to find them cheaper, give me a holler.

Just returned from starting to breaking in 2 of the Sig SP2022's. We fired 12- 15 round magazines through each, using 115g rem fmj, 115g rem jhp, 147g win black talons, and 147g win hp's. Both worked awesome! No failure to feed, fire, or eject. We were shooting 6" steel plates at 17 yards and both Sig SP2022's were hitting right at the point of aim. I showed my daughter how to field strip and clean the handgun, which she did with ease and she did it on her handgun, alone after shooting. Wonderful handguns, especially for the price i paid for the ones with night sights. I could recomend the Sig SP2022, without hesitation.

The only problem we encountered was trying to leave from our private range, which is up in the hills. We had no problem getting in, but.........
Since 16-18" of snow had come down last couple of days and i had to chain up my 4x4 to get back up the hill to get out. :s0114:

M67 - just an FYI - Mec Gar is the OEM maker for most name brand factory magazines - Sig included. Mec Gar mags are top quality, and generally if you buy the Mec Gar branded mags, they're less expensive than the ones with the roll stamping of whatever gun maker they usually get sold to.

Congrats M67 - you just acquired yourself a fine handgun.

After sitting on it for a few weeks, I was finally able to take my 2022 to the range. I always take a slow and deliberate first shot at 15 feet just to get my bearings. My very first shot with my new 2022 hit precisely where it was aimed - in between the eyes. I then slowly fired the rest of the magazine to get a feel for the SA, and I ended up with a very nice 1" group around the first hit. I was VERY impressed with this weapon. Took my target out to 20 and 30 feet, and my groupings stayed consistent at 2" and 3" respectively. I'm not bragging about my skills, I'm an average shooter at best. But this weapon is amazing and insanely accurate right out of the box.

All in all, I ended up throwing 400 rounds of plain old WWB down range without any FTF or FTE's. My P229 40 cal is still my favorite weapon. After 16 years, it's earned a soft spot as being my first handgun and for being with me the longest. I suspect this 2022 will eventually be there along side my 229.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top