JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up the Sig Sauer P365 today and I'm very satisfied; but when I purchased it the gentlemen asked if I wanted the safety or non safety version I opted for the non safety version because it felt slightly better ergonomically in my hand. Not realizing there isn't a internal safety till after I bought it. Honesty it's not a big deal to get a manual safety lever and a modular grip for like $100 swap out the grip. I was curious does anybody have any feedback regarding the P365 NON MS for CC or do people tend to carry the P365 Manual Safety when conceal carrying ?

I'm guessing...... that you don't think that a revolver is SAFE?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I'm not beating up on you. I'm a believer in, "get what YOU like".

Two schools of thought with this; no safety for easier deployment under stress or with safety for the ability to fully lock out the chambered gun when not deployed.

Either is fine but if your considering the safety think about when you would need to want to fully lock out the chambered gun and the reasons for it seem to diminish.

Two schools of thought with this; no safety for easier deployment under stress or with safety for the ability to fully lock out the chambered gun when not deployed.

Either is fine but if your considering the safety think about when you would need to want to fully lock out the chambered gun and the reasons for it seem to diminish.

I have heard people say " nothing is 100 reliable and adding additional parts, only increases the likelihood of a malfunction." I've always carried Glocks never really though about the benefits to Manual safety. I will probably get the manual safety kit just because I'd like to try and have both but at the same time I have enough confidence in myself to not need the safety. Unbeknownst to me that dingus on the Glock been giving me a false sense of security. Either way I'll be fine I'm just curious if people preferred NON MS vs MS specifically the P365. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to preferences I just always like to get others opinion. Still fairly new to Conceal carrying!

I'm guessing...... that you don't think that a revolver is SAFE?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I'm not beating up on you. I'm a believer in, "get what YOU like".
I think guns without safeties can be safe I think it comes down to who is behind the gun. I've heard the phrase "YOU are the safety" which I do agree. I think doing some dry firing and then actually going to the range would be beneficial in building confidence. I'm practically brand new to conceal carrying and I have never had a gun with no safety so hopefully you can see from my perspective.

I have heard people say " nothing is 100 reliable and adding additional parts, only increases the likelihood of a malfunction." I've always carried Glocks never really though about the benefits to Manual safety. I will probably get the manual safety kit just because I'd like to try and have both but at the same time I have enough confidence in myself to not need the safety. Unbeknownst to me that dingus on the Glock been giving me a false sense of security. Either way I'll be fine I'm just curious if people preferred NON MS vs MS specifically the P365. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to preferences I just always like to get others opinion. Still fairly new to Conceal carrying!
The theory that more parts is more reasons to fail is a fallacy in my opinion. Todays guns are well made, pistol mechanics are not rocket science they are all based on the old short action recoil, a safety is just a few more pieces that is just as simple. The trigger safety on striker fired guns was originally designed to prevent inertia discharge such as if the gun is dropped accidentally, it does not prevent something from pulling the trigger be it a stick or key or finger or whatever. Some who understand that like adding the safety, but first its important to understand the differences in trigger action and how they work.

The only real advantage to a safety is on single action pistols which have very light trigger pulls... most striker fired pistols are double action which have longer trigger pulls... the double action trigger IS the equivalent of a manual safety (not the trigger dongle) because the trigger takes more effort to pull, so in my opinion it doesn't make sense to have a manual safety on a double action striker fired pistol. The few single action striker fired pistols that I'm aware of all come with a manual safety or a grip safety or both for this reason. The only thing that adds to the confusion is when companies add a manual safety version to a double action striker fired pistol for marketing reason to appease those that want the safety but that goes back to what I said about why one would ever need to lock a double action pistol out which is few and mitigated by just putting it in condition 3.

I don't have a preference, I learn to use the pistol in hand as its designed.

Last Edited:
There are three P365s in my immediate family. None have the manual safety.

None of us feel that a manual safety is necessary or even desirable on a concealed, striker-fired, self-defense firearm.

P365 is striker fired with a firing pin block, which is moved
Out of the way by pressing the trigger, thus no additional safety needed. I don't see the need for a safety on a striker fired or da/sa semi-auto. Single action semi-autos are a whole different story, safeties are needed to be able to carry cocked and locked.

When I first picked up a P365, it didn't have the manual safety. I've primarily carried DAO revolvers or a KelTec P11 when I first started carrying (it's a DA pistol). The long, heavy trigger pull makes pulling the trigger much more deliberate. With the P365, I was more concerned with any potential for something else to get inside the trigger area, especially during re-holstering, considering the much lighter trigger. I'm always super careful, and primarily only ever re-holster off of my body, but it only takes once to be "that guy". I ordered up a P365 XL manual safety grip (after some experimenting, I REALLY prefer the XL grip) and a manual safety kit (along with a metal extended mag release because I had a difficult time releasing the mag without changing my grip position). The install was super simple as the fire control group/core/frame (whatever you call it) already has the provisions. Some call the XL grip with the non-XL slide the P365X, so that's what I have. Now I have the option to have the safety on or not. For the time being, I prefer it on, but I always have the option. The safety, when new, is fairly stiff so I spent some time polishing and working it in to be a bit smoother.

P365X with manual safety (pardon the lines; my camera was freaking out):
716563-6b1f21e1251ba97c5fa39647ef50cf92.jpg

Either way, simple process to change back and forth.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I think guns without safeties can be safe I think it comes down to who is behind the gun. I've heard the phrase "YOU are the safety" which I do agree. I think doing some dry firing and then actually going to the range would be beneficial in building confidence. I'm practically brand new to conceal carrying and I have never had a gun with no safety so hopefully you can see from my perspective.
When I first started carrying I would only carry guns with a safety. Also only with a safety that turned off when pressed down, so I wouldn't get confused under stress. And I wouldn't carry it pointed at my junk. After I had a lot of training and practice and more time to think about it, my preferences changed. Now I only carry DAO or decocker DA/SA guns and I usually carry them IWB in whatever location is most comfortable for the gun/holster combination. I'll even carry a gun like the M9 - where the safety is also a decocker - with the safety off and the gun half cocked.

I'd recommend that you go with whatever is comfortable and seems pragmatic to you now. If you change your mind later that's fine too. You sound liked a responsible person, so just relax and know that you're making and informed, rational decision. You'll be fine.

Yes, many have never had the pleasure of a revolver.

I guess it's why......I prefer my CCW semi-auto pistol to have a DA/SA trigger (no extra safety required). AND YES...training has a lot to do with it.

BUT THEN.....is there something about a Glock? LOL.

Aloha, Mark

PS....AND there is something to be said about.....
This_is_my_SAFETY.jpg

If you are already well versed in cocked-n-locked, a MS on a P365 might make more sense. Your thumb is all ready habituated to running a MS and it could throw you off for a second when you go to swipe it off and there is nothing there....

Just don't be like the guy on another forum who wanted the non-safety version, but they didn't have any in stock. So he got the MS version and promptly super-glued the safety in the off position. :eek:

I like my P365 with a manual safety. I also like to shoot 1911s competitively. Manual of arms will come naturally with training and repetition. I did not like carrying a M9 da/sa with a safety.

Just don't be like the guy on another forum who wanted the non-safety version, but they didn't have any in stock. So he got the MS version and promptly super-glued the safety in the off position. :eek:

Dude should've just removed the four safety parts and put them up for sale (plenty of folks want the safety). He could have made more than enough to buy a non safety grip module and still had money left over. SMH :rolleyes:

When I first started carrying I would only carry guns with a safety. Also only with a safety that turned off when pressed down, so I wouldn't get confused under stress. And I wouldn't carry it pointed at my junk. After I had a lot of training and practice and more time to think about it, my preferences changed. Now I only carry DAO or decocker DA/SA guns and I usually carry them IWB in whatever location is most comfortable for the gun/holster combination. I'll even carry a gun like the M9 - where the safety is also a decocker - with the safety off and the gun half cocked.

I'd recommend that you go with whatever is comfortable and seems pragmatic to you now. If you change your mind later that's fine too. You sound liked a responsible person, so just relax and know that you're making and informed, rational decision. You'll be fine.
Good information the more I keep reading the more interesting the subject is too me. One of the Sig forums I believe someone said that you can always add the safety lever And grip model on a non MS to make it MS; but they advised against trying to make the MS version non MS. So maybe I get the best of both worlds??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top