JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will title this to allow thread drift within the parameters of the subject, but I am most interested in some of the differences of the P229 series of pistol.
For instance, do the P229 classic carry models that are listed as 13 round magazine capacity accept standard 15 round mags and are merely issued with 13 round mags, or is there a difference in the magazine well?
Also, aside from the lack of a rail on the classic carry and M-11, what internals actually set the models apart say from the Nitron or Elite?
I've heard that the old German slides are rolled and stamped, versus forged or milled like the new ones.
Any corrections or cross reference inferences are welcome.
:s0155:

The first 229's were 9mm only and had 13 rnd mags, same frame as the 228.
All 229's are a milled SS slide.
The 228 had the folded carbon steel slide.
The early 229's that have 13 rnd mags can't use the 15 rnd 229-1 mags as the mags are wider. But there are aftermarket 15 rnd mags available.

Almost all Sigs are Nitron coated.
A "Nitron" 229 is just a plain Jane 229.
The different submodels will have the different features.
Such as SRT, night sights etc.
The Elites have forward serrations on the slide and a beavertail.

As of 2020 the choice for a Sig 22x is a Nitron or Legion.
220 is legion only
226 has Nitron, Legion and MK25
229 has nitron, legion and the M11-A1
All other models have been dropped.

I have a last of their german ran 229-1 elite stainless.9mm Really nice gun . But because it is discontinued I do not shoot it... The old 229 and 228s 9mm will take 226 mags though or old 226s? I use 226 mags in my 228 . Not sure if they changed mag design on 226 . That said all internals are close to same except locking block for rolled slides vs milled slides.

Any of the 229s will take any of the 226 mags, whether .40/.357 or 9mm, but the 226 mags will fit a little loose in the later 229-1 pistols that take the wider .40/.357 229 mags - personally I can barely notice the difference. Also, of course, the 226 mags are not flush fit in any of the 229s. If you get a sleeve, then some might fit like they are meant for the pistol, but the bottom won't be flush. Ditto for the 226 and 229 mags into the 224. So there is some interchangeability there in one direction.

You can swap a .40/.357 slide (with recoil spring) onto the older 229 pistols (a lot of people refer to them as 'classic' or 228/229) if you swap out the locking insert (CDNN sells a 229 .40 locking insert for $20, which is a very good price) and use the 226 .40/.357 mags.

Lots of info on SIGTalk forum about what fits what - charts and tables and pics and posts and posts about SIGs and lots of nice SIG owners willing to answer questions.

Speaking of 9mm.....I sold off my Sig 229-1 and kept my 226, 228 and 229. Why? Because I wanted to use a common magazine for both 228 and 229 pistols without a possible mix up occurring (i.e. trying to slap a 229-1 magazine into a 228 or the older 229). BTW, besides the factory magazines..... I use Mec-Gar magazines for both the 228 and 229. They have various capacities available. And, yes...the 226 magazines will also work. Though it'll be sticking out of the mag well a little bit. Needless to say.... factory and Mec-Gar 226 magazines will of course work in my 226.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Sig has been running the 22X series for decades, going all the way back to before they were being sold as the Browning BDA and the tapered nosed-fixed sighted versions. They've gone through several flavors, starting out as the most common carbon-slided, alloy framed pistols with pinned in breach blocks. Then IIRC, with the 40 and eventually the .357 SIG (or vice versa), they brought out more the robust stainless-slided 229. That upgrade carried over to the 226 and 220 at some point, probably to simplify/streamline manufacturing processes. Along the way, they also added stainless frames to some, including the 220ST and 226ST, with very small number of 229 Sport Stocks, X-5's and whatnot. While hefty, they made for very nice shooting and very durable pistols. You also had some longer slided (5") 'Match' Guns and adjustable sighted versions (Match, Sport Stocks, etc).

Over the years, you've seen various variants, special runs, FrankenSigs, custom shops, etc. The early, and often more sought after 'West German' triple serial number guns tend to be the most desirable by the Sig purists. After those, it seemed there was a change in CQ, anodizing, etc. When you see an alloy framed Sig for sale, usually the first request is to see pictures of the frame rails.

Calibers haven't varied that much. .22 conversions, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, .38 Super and 7.65 Para (.30 Luger), and .45 ACP and more recently 10MM.

There's at least two decent books on Sigs...Ayoob Gun Digest Book of Sig Sauer and The Sig Handguns by Duncan Long.

Lots of good history/material to study.

Boss

Jan 17, 2020 Olympia 2A Rights Rally:eek::

Someone else to consider for governor:

Last Edited:
I hadn't heard they're dropping the bulk of their classic P-series guns. That is rather surprising. The P220 being Legion only really came out of left field, being the progenitor of the line. The Legion guns are sexy, but damn they're expensive. I'm sad, but not surprised to see the DAK guns gone. They were a good, but different trigger system and never really caught on outside a couple law enforcement agencies. I had a P220 in two tone finish with the DAK trigger, and I really liked it.

Now I have to wonder if the classic Sig pistols are going to jump in price, or become bargain guns? Guessing the former...