JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering, why aren't the Sig 556/551 rifles very popular? I never see them for sale, or hear much about them, anymore. I know when they first came out, they were the "thing to have". I was just looking at pictures, and they seem pretty awesome, still.

Did they suck?
Do people love them so much, they won't sell them?

Well everyone wanted a real 551/552 and that did not happen on the first version.

I had one of the original 556 SWAT versions and it was a nice gun but never felt quite right to me. I am sure it was due to a lack of trigger time. I ended up buying the .22 version which was basically a 551/552 and put a few thousand rounds though it. While I liked it, picking up and AR still felt "right" and the Sig a little off, if that makes sense.

I ended up selling both for that reason.

Not sure about the 5.56 rifles, but I have a sig 716 patrol chambered in 7.62x51 and the thing rocks! Just saving the pennies to add the 30 cal can to complete everything! I also had the sig 556R, but ended up selling it because I stopped shooting the caliber.

Mostly furniture. The original ones used a lot of AR style parts on a Sig style receiver, so really didn't look/feel like what people wanted. The newer "classic" version is much closer to the 551/552, but still not quite the same. Overall function and basic feel is the same.

My 551 is just a classic for older tastes. Love everything about it and even the poly mags. It's light weight and modular. 516 is a lean towards a AR. Just love battle rifles.

I bought one when they first came out.

It was a piece of crap.

The original "fish gill" furniture was a joke. The red dot it shipped with wasn't even up to airsoft standards.

Not to mention the canted top rail, and bolt carrier peening.

The best grouping it ever had was 5 inches at 100 yards. Many brands of ammo, and bullet weights were tried.

When I called Sig's customer service, they told me to kick rocks because I was in CA, and the rifle was modified to be sold to me. How does swapping out the mag release cant the rail, cause the bolt carrier wear, and produce wild groups?

I traded it for a WASR that shots
better groups.

Unless it says Made in Germany, I will never trust another Sig.

I have an early Sig 556. SN# JS0040xx . The front and rear trunnion. Along with the bolt, carrier and all trigger parts are swiss. And marked as such. Also mine is a sub 1'' gun. Very accurate. These early guns are very nice. When they started building their own parts in the states. They turned ugly. And Accuracy went way down.
Not sure how the newest incarnation is working out?

I would say, try to get an early gun and change the ugly fish gill furniture if you don't like it.
And look for the smooth black swiss carrier and bolt marked with the four digits. Not the frosty grey carrier made in the states.
Also the really early guns did not have the little flip up rear sight. Or a red dot.

Last Edited:
Also I know people compare [even call] the Sig 556 an AR. It, and the Swiss 550. Are really based on the AK. Maybe that is what all the hype was about.

Look at the 556 and AK-47 bolt carrier, bolt, and gas piston together.
There is almost no difference in the bolt. Both have long piston gas systems. But the sig's is adjustable.
The Sig 556 also has it's return spring in front, around the piston. And the piston can be disconnected from the carrier.

Last Edited:
Mac from military arms channel had problems with his in 7.62x39. He just did a video on the new r series and first one went bolt action mode after one mag. Was sent another one it also failed to extract every 20 or 40 rounds on three different ammo types.

What is not to like a piston driven rifle that takes AR magazines ? I have not had any issues with the three I own . The only problem is that I would like more ! 233.JPG 238.JPG 254.JPG 256.JPG

233.JPG

238.JPG

254.JPG

256.JPG