JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided that I want to get a l'il buddy for my Sig p220. My preference would be to pick up a Sig p320 carry in 45acp. Not a 9. With all this stuff going on about Sig's failed drop test I have been browsing the 'net for reliable data about this issue. In all honesty I don't recall a time I have ever dropped my handgun. OK, there was that one time in Tiajuana but I shall not record that instance here not wanting to sully the reputation of our wonderful forum. I'll also bet there are younger folks who read these posts and I feel no need to cause them undue sleep problems. LOL I digress, again. Anyway It is a timing issue on this purchase and I regretfully have more time than money right now. Any guesses when Sig might start shipping the upgraded p320? The best I could find is that there may or may not be a 5-7 week period before these weapons begin showing up in our favorite LGS. I don't like the idea of purchasing a new pistol now and then sending it straight back to the factory for an upgrade. Sig itself says that these upgrades take 4-6 weeks. Maybe it is a good thing I have more time than money right now. But that has been the story of most of my adult life. :) However, that is another tale best left for the telling much later after several serious libations. Thanks- Pops

I honestly wouldn't sweat it. It sounds like it just needs a lighter trigger shoe or an aftermarket trigger shoe with a blocking mechanism. I'd just buy it and not drop it til you find a new trigger.

I love sigs, but I generally do $80 to $100 of surgery on each one I buy. New mainspring, SRT, thinner trigger...

Makes me wonder if the stores will try to pass off the older 320s as new to clear them out. Best to learn to identify whats physically different with the trigger...

In side=by=side comparison both on my bench and at the range, the 229/320 seem to me to be near clones. 229 has hammer, 320 is striker fired. Internals are different yet dismount slide/barrel in same simple effective manner. Both can change calibers easily. For now I prefer 9mm this configuration.

In speed steel & paper targets I could close my eyes and not be completely sure which was placed in my hand, they are that similar.

Arguments can be made, ultimately, WHAT do YOU like?
And ultimately because of the Rx red dot feature, my personal time/groups/accuracy is marginally faster with the 320. By 'marginal' I mean fractions of seconds for a string. Group size is smaller/more dense because I can see the POA better with the red dot.
And to be clear, at my 'best geezer' performance level, I remain a 'participant' far more often than a 'competitor' category.

I had earlier compact version, but after about 6000 rounds got to where I didn't like the trigger. Got a decent offer from a dealer, and off it went. Still, there were features I missed....so slide forward about 18 months & voila, the P320Rx. The trigger is even better. This one stays with me longer. Far longer. The 229 isn't traveling as much as it once did.

Same here, I have a P228 and P229. Now looking for a legion P226 but will settle for a P229 legion. Never jumped on the Sig polymer bandwagon, been working on this Sig P229 no rail. Match extended ported barrel from Bar-sto, xray sights, SRT, going to have the slide finish changed to stainless, nice wood grips. All 9mms for .45acp I have 1911s or S&W shield.
I like my firearms built not bought.

You did not mention the P227.

The big diff - IMO - between the P220/P227 and the P320 is the trigger. The P320 is striker fired, the P220 and P227 are not. The P227 is basically the P226 in .45 ACP. The P220 is single stack, the P227 is double stack. The P227 has comes with a 10 round mag that works perfectly, but some models sell with an additional 14 rd. mag that is known for having a weak spring.

I just bought a P227, almost NIB, a little over a week ago. It is the TACOPS model with threaded barrel, higher sights for suppressor, one 10 rd mag and one 14 rd. mag. Sure enough, the 14 rd. mag has FTF issues. Most people have reported that they can actually get 15 rounds in the mag, indicating a weak spring.

Last night I stretched the spring and tweaked it at the top such that the nose of the follower should have more pressure on it. I will try that again. If it doesn't work then I will do what others have done to fix it; get a Wolff spring for a Para P14 and install that - so far everybody that has done that and reported on it, has found that it fixes the problem.

Others have sent the mags to SIG and SIG replaces them. They have had about a 50% return rate on the mags they exchange with SIG. Some people have had no problems with the 14 round mags at all. It sounds like a coin flip.

I like the gun, I got it steeply discounted from MSRP and I want a suppressor host in .45 ACP, so I am going to try to get the mag issues sorted out. Kind of frustrating that SIG really markets the gun with the 14 round mags that have a 50/50 chance of working from the factory, that they don't just fix it with a better spring. The mags cost $58 MSRP, but can be found online on sale for $42 - then another $7 for a Wolff spring.

But just saying, there is a SIG that is chambered in .45 ACP that you did not mention, and I think it is probably better than the P220 or P320, unless you don't mind a striker fired gun (I do, I am spoiled now) and want the modularity of the P320 (although I seem to recall that the P320 frame for the .45 ACP is larger than the others and does not interchange with them?).

Your call.

Ultimately I prefer 45acp as in 1911 form I manage to get decent groups. And while I'd like to acquire a 227 my available stash for that was eaten up by a 10mm 220....which I have yet to become 'accurate enough' with yet.

I'm come to prefer 9mm as regardless of platform usually I get better groups than such as 40, as I have abandoned that now.

I much prefer the SIG SA/DA trigger over striker or even SA triggers.

I think SIG SA/DA is the best of all worlds - no safety to futz with, SA when cocked, smooth light (lighter than any revolver) DA on first shot if not cocked (so safe to carry with hammer down but always ready to go without cocking), DA for second try on misfire (90% of misfires are hard primers and go off on second shot in my experience) - de-cocker for safety on clearing, loading, re-holstering the gun, etc. I personally do not see any downsides.

Plus I do not care for the grip form factor on a 1911 or Glock or most other .45 ACP pistols for that matter - the SIG grips work for me. So between my P229 and P227 I have 9mm and .45 ACP covered and both pistols have the same feel and manual of arms. Just need to get the mag issues sorted on the P227 (although the 10 rd. mags work perfectly, I do want that 14 rd. mag to work perfectly too).

agree with the Sig DA/SA/decocker solution;
someday the 227 magazine glitch may be resolved well enough I'll have to revisit my priorities;

I too have abandoned Glock as it simply isn't working well for my needs. Had sort of an ambivalent feeling, yet after many years ownership of multiple models, the complete FAIL of my ability to perform with them on such as falling plate rack (with the 34 and 36 after literally thousands of rounds) the grip angle just doesn't work, and the trigger continues to irritate. Out they went.

I honestly wouldn't sweat it. It sounds like it just needs a lighter trigger shoe or an aftermarket trigger shoe with a blocking mechanism. I'd just buy it and not drop it til you find a new trigger.

I love sigs, but I generally do $80 to $100 of surgery on each one I buy. New mainspring, SRT, thinner trigger...

That's interesting, I only own two Sig center fires but the P290rs has a perfectly decent trigger, and my P250 compact .45 has great ergonomics and a terrific trigger. The best DAO trigger that I own by any manufacturer! Both pistols sport hammers.

That's interesting, I only own two Sig center fires but the P290rs has a perfectly decent trigger, and my P250 compact .45 has great ergonomics and a terrific trigger. The best DAO trigger that I own by any manufacturer! Both pistols sport hammers.

I went from the 24# mainspring to the 19# mainspring and adding an SRT kit with the short reach trigger, it was truly perfect.

You did not mention the P227.

The big diff - IMO - between the P220/P227 and the P320 is the trigger. The P320 is striker fired, the P220 and P227 are not. The P227 is basically the P226 in .45 ACP. The P220 is single stack, the P227 is double stack. The P227 has comes with a 10 round mag that works perfectly, but some models sell with an additional 14 rd. mag that is known for having a weak spring.

I just bought a P227, almost NIB, a little over a week ago. It is the TACOPS model with threaded barrel, higher sights for suppressor, one 10 rd mag and one 14 rd. mag. Sure enough, the 14 rd. mag has FTF issues. Most people have reported that they can actually get 15 rounds in the mag, indicating a weak spring.

Last night I stretched the spring and tweaked it at the top such that the nose of the follower should have more pressure on it. I will try that again. If it doesn't work then I will do what others have done to fix it; get a Wolff spring for a Para P14 and install that - so far everybody that has done that and reported on it, has found that it fixes the problem.

Others have sent the mags to SIG and SIG replaces them. They have had about a 50% return rate on the mags they exchange with SIG. Some people have had no problems with the 14 round mags at all. It sounds like a coin flip.

I like the gun, I got it steeply discounted from MSRP and I want a suppressor host in .45 ACP, so I am going to try to get the mag issues sorted out. Kind of frustrating that SIG really markets the gun with the 14 round mags that have a 50/50 chance of working from the factory, that they don't just fix it with a better spring. The mags cost $58 MSRP, but can be found online on sale for $42 - then another $7 for a Wolff spring.

But just saying, there is a SIG that is chambered in .45 ACP that you did not mention, and I think it is probably better than the P220 or P320, unless you don't mind a striker fired gun (I do, I am spoiled now) and want the modularity of the P320 (although I seem to recall that the P320 frame for the .45 ACP is larger than the others and does not interchange with them?).

Your call.

Whats neat is my P226 and P220 can use the same holsters. Besides the grip, which sits outside of the holster, the rest is dimensionally identical. I'm curious if the P227 is the same way. I haven't been super impressed with most double stack 45s because they can be overly chunky and/or long for the extra 2 rounds over a 1911 or P220. The G21 and FNX are at least small enough to grip and give decent capacity.

Great feed back gang. My first and only Sig to date is my p220. I have come to really appreciate the DA/SA trigger. I love the hammer fired metal pistols in 45acp. I feel like I am really covered in the 9mm pistol department now with a CZ75 pcr purchased early this year. I am convinced [still] that I prefer the short, fat, slow and deadly 45 round. Maybe it because that round and several of its mag mates saved my backside a very long time ago in a steamy wet jungle. I have looked at the p227 and to me it is a p220 with a few more rounds on board. The p250 is no longer made by Sig in .45 although it is sometimes available online. [hope that is accurate] The CZ 97 holds little interest to me as does Kahr and all its ilk. Obviously not ready to purchase yet but hoo-boy would I like to. I find everyone's comments very helpful. Thanks for being willing to share your experience. I have also considered Springfield and S&W offerings but so far, meh. I did get to shoot a new Springer XDe recently. Again, meh. I have considered Glocks too. Something about them reminds me of my first ex-wife. Just didn't feel right. LOL OK I'll stop. TMI!

Whats neat is my P226 and P220 can use the same holsters. Besides the grip, which sits outside of the holster, the rest is dimensionally identical. I'm curious if the P227 is the same way. I haven't been super impressed with most double stack 45s because they can be overly chunky and/or long for the extra 2 rounds over a 1911 or P220. The G21 and FNX are at least small enough to grip and give decent capacity.

I think it depends on the holster, but the shape of the frame is the same, just somewhat thicker, especially in the grip.

Here are some dimensions (scroll down) compared to a P220:

Sig Sauer P227 45 ACP Semi-Automatic Pistol

I think it depends on the holster, but the shape of the frame is the same, just somewhat thicker, especially in the grip.

Here are some dimensions (scroll down) compared to a P220:

Sig Sauer P227 45 ACP Semi-Automatic Pistol

Wonder how that would work out in my old P220 duty rig. There is a certain amount of slop in newer duty holsters now that static retention is mostly replaced with mechanical retention devices.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews