JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I plan to buy a 224 or 938 for concealed carry. I would appreciate any recommendations from the forum. Does anyone know which will be available first or if the 938 will ship with a holster like the 238? My 238 is one of the most fun guns I own. Carry it in pants, jacket or shirt pocket in a Desantis pocket holster.

Thanks,
Rick

... as an expectation (not a commitment!), SIG intend to release the P938 and the P224 at the same time, for June/July timeframe.

Each should come with 1 magazine, but likely not with a holster as sometimes seen in other sales kits.
The holster that is in the new sales kits for the P238 is ITAC designed and works very well for me! I use that or a High Noon IWB for the P238 carry.

The P938 should have a laser module, similiar to the module for the P238.

Which one?

Well for sure, you will have to wait until you can handle both, side by side, at your local gunshop.
The P938 is supposedly aimed at the Kimber Solo, but the price point might lure some of the other pocket 9 buyers.
And like the Kimber Solo, likely one will have to either pay for the privilege of early ownership (and personal QA) of a P938, or wait 6-12 months before seeing one at a LGS.

The P224, could also be a hot ticket item, given that there is some accessory compatibility with other SIGs in the product line up.
And the potential for some personal QA as well.

One does hope that SIG QA has done the right stuff for the P938/P224 releases.

For me, my choice is for the P938, over the P224. The P938 has a single stack mag versus the double stack of the P224. The P224 will be a little thicker and for me, that makes the difference to lean towards the P938.
I want to compare the P938 to the Kimber Solo I own ... and the P938, being .2" longer than the P238, makes for a nice pocket carry stablemate. Woof.

chris

I own a P238 and really like it. That being said, it ate recoil springs every 300 rounds until the current recoil spring was released and now it's trouble free. The P238 has had it's share of growing pains...bad mags (that cost $40 each!), soft slides in the HD model, and reliability issues. The P250 has and now the P290 is experiencing problems.

I love my Sigs (P226, P229, P220, P250, and my P238), but I won't allow myself to be a beta tester for any of their new releases. Both the P938 and P224 appear to have great potential, but my advice is to wait a year or two until the bugs are worked out.

... Xsub, I feel your grief.

The replacement flat wire recoil spring fixes a number of issues; SIG now rate the recoil spring for replacement at between 1500-2000 rounds.
Thye mags; the 1st and 2nd gen mags were problematic; the lip on the mag would result in some chipping of the feed ramp.
The new 3rd gen mags are worth the money, with the lip modified to stop the chipping.

And like you, I too don't want to be SIG's QA/beta tester ... but the P938 is, is ... well you know what I mean ...

:)

I wouldn't worry much whether or not the Sig 938 came with the kydex holster that they now ship with all of the 238's. I just gave mine to my LGS as a favor if he could make a couple of bucks off it. It's not much of a holster.

I have a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster that I use for pocket carry and a N82 IWB holster that I absolutely love for IWB carry.

I'm in the software business and brand new firearm models are like sftw. Rev 1.0 is still beta. I don't care how much testing they've done, marketing will typically drive a product to market ahead of when it should be released because the know that the true beta testers will be the first few hundred folks that buy the thing.

If you're willing to be a beta tester, God Bless You! The rest of us appreciate it. Personally, I won't buy a new model pistol until it has been out at least a year.

cougfan2 - sw engineers unite! Viva beta! LOL.

For the P938, I would think of it as in Alpha. Or DDS - draft design spec. Marketeering pressed by Sales - where's our new release/model to sell this quarter?

Chuckle.

For me, my choice is for the P938, over the P224. The P938 has a single stack mag versus the double stack of the P224. The P224 will be a little thicker and for me, that makes the difference to lean towards the P938.
I want to compare the P938 to the Kimber Solo I own ... and the P938, being .2" longer than the P238, makes for a nice pocket carry stablemate. Woof.

chris

The specs on the Sig site say 5.9" long for the P938, and 5.5" for the P238. .4" isn't much!

Oh damn, I didn't even know they released that gun. I was just thinking I wanted to go up to 9mm for my carry gun but I love my 238 so much I couldn't part with it. Looks like its going up for sale now!

I am so invested in .40 that I have no interest in the 938. As for the 224...I'll give SIG time to work out the bugs before I jump.

The folks over at NW Armory said they thought the 224 would be shipping in March, but were not certain that they would be getting any very quickly.