JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I searched the archives here, and found several threads on the noted topic. I thought to revive one of them, (dated back as far as 2013 with a lot of feedback) in hopes to hear responses from members that still have the P938. I've considered picking one up for a summer carry.

Those of you who have (and carry regularly) the P938, please share your thoughts.
I'm looking to pick up the Equinox. My picking up the Sig P938 will also wean me towards the potential purchase of a 1911 at a later time.

I'm hoping to get one during the 4th of July sale period, so we may be in the same boat ! :) I've had one in the past and like it, but when offered a chance to sell it at a profit, I took it. I have a pair of Colt Defenders ( 9mm and 45ACP) and a Sig P238 already, so picking up the P938 won't be out of character. I try to avoid striker fired guns, don't like the trigger feel mostly, and these 1911 style SA pistols are sweet to shoot.

Hi Brent. Thanks for your input.
Of all the shops I've looked at, the P938 (among other Sigs) are in the apparent high sales category. On several occasions, if it was in the show case, and you wanted one, I was told to buy it. At those times I was not ready (nor willing) to pay the price they were wanting. I'm a cheap skate when I can be!! Sig is PROUD, obviously. Back when the P938 was introduced, there were a LOT of problems. Back then I stayed away and forgot about them until recently. I am hopeful I can pick one up in the near future for a reasonable price.

The Colt Defenders are a nice choice also. Although when I open my wallet, it's on the squeaky side and needs oil!!

Last Edited:
Both the Kentucky Gun company and Palmetto State Armory had 4th of July sales the last couple years. I picked up a P938 SAS for under $500/free shipping , 2 years ago. Google for them, sign up for the mailing lists, and see if you ( we) get lucky ! :) I'm not interested in paying $700, either . My first P938, 2012 model, had a Main Spring Housing problem at about 300 rounds. Sig fixed it fine, but I sold that one immediately, and got a SAS model in 2014 from KyGunco . There was still talk about MSH problems, but last summer , they came out with about a 4th gen design, that seems to have solved all the problems. The problems were not universal, sort of a combination of design problems coupled with slight assembly mistakes , which apparently have been solved by this more robust design. :)

Last Edited:
Picked mine up at Surplus Ammo and Arms in Tacoma. I got it last year. It is the Nightmare P938. I added the extended 7 roung mag. Some models (Scorpion and Extreme to name a couple) come with the 7 round mag.

image.jpeg

I'm thinking of grabbing one of these too, my only hesitation is that I've heard that there are problems with the safety on them. Since my preferred method of carry is either pocket or aiwb, I'm a little reluctant to pick one up. Anyone here carry a 938 in one of the aforementioned positions? Any issues? What do you all think about carrying a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked in your front pocket or inside your front waistband? (In a holster, of course)

I think a lot depends upon your particular physique and comfort level. I occasionally carry a P238 ( a little smaller) in an OWB appendix carry, using a paddle holster that is adjustable cant. I get away with it because I'm tall and almost skinny ( 6' 5" , 215 lbs) and wear untucked shirts in warm weather mostly ( I'm retired) . I prefer OWB carry, though I have quite a few IWB holsters. If I can get away with it, OWB is my answer. Carrying a Colt Defender OWB under a loud plaid shirt has not been a problem.

I had a 938. I don't think it will sway you towards a 1911 even though they are similar they are also very different. A "true" pocket 1911 would be more like a Kimber or a Para in their Micro series. The 938 is a good little gun, although mine had just enough reliability issues for me to dump it. I just couldn't trust it to be my EDC and they are definitely NOT range guns. Your mileage may vary.

I'm thinking of grabbing one of these too, my only hesitation is that I've heard that there are problems with the safety on them. Since my preferred method of carry is either pocket or aiwb, I'm a little reluctant to pick one up. Anyone here carry a 938 in one of the aforementioned positions? Any issues? What do you all think about carrying a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked in your front pocket or inside your front waistband? (In a holster, of course)
I've heard that the safety and slide lock will "rub" bare skin and makes it something to get use too, other than that, the AMBI safety, when disassembling, and the slide is removed, DO NOT rotate the safety into the "safe" position. Apparently, (and I'll take their word on it) the detente rod and spring come flying out. Other than that, you may have heard something more?

I had a 938. I don't think it will sway you towards a 1911 even though they are similar they are also very different. A "true" pocket 1911 would be more like a Kimber or a Para in their Micro series. The 938 is a good little gun, although mine had just enough reliability issues for me to dump it. I just couldn't trust it to be my EDC and they are definitely NOT range guns. Your mileage may vary.
Right, I know the P938's are not a small rendition of the 1911. Where I was leaning towards was that the controls are very similar. For familiarity, it would be similar in the type. I looked at Kimber. Expensive buggers they are, and I may go that direction down the road. Or sooner, who knows.

I had the chance to shoot a friends, wifes P938 for a few mags. I liked it. I was told that limp wristing caused issues for her.

Other than that, you may have heard something more?
The guy behind the counter at a gun store told me that the safeties have a habit of switching off when carried in a pocket- I guess he heard a few stories of people taking their guns off at the end of the day to find the safety lever had moved- although I can't see how this would be an issue with a good holster. But his admonitions against pocket carry of the 938 were enough to make me think twice about it....

I thought the safety was pretty solid, myself. Interesting. I'd considered the P938 specifically for pocket (wallet holster) carry. Hmm

I just found this video of someone explaining how the safety mechanisms in the 938 (and 238) work- it definitely put the pistol back in the running for my everyday pocket/appendix carry now that I see how they work.. Turns out that there is an internal trigger safety as well, that is only de-activated when the trigger is pulled .. Meaning that even if the manual safety is off and the hammer somehow falls, the gun won't fire -unless you also happen to be pulling on the trigger. Which would make the gun fire anyway.

I carry my P938 as shown in the picture (chambered and safety on) in an IWB holster that I keep in my front pocket. I use the waistband clip to keep it from sliding into my pocket. I've been carrying it this way since I bought it. I recently tried putting it inside my belt but outside my waistband. It's a little trickier to draw, but still easy to conceal.

I also have the P238. I bought it first and now keep it as a bathrobe pistol. I keep it in the same condition (cocked and locked).

Last Edited:
My wife and I carry these 2 religiously. She uses a flash bang holster and I have a simple nylon IWB holster. They have worked flawlessly for us and are great shorts and tshirt kind of carries. Her SAS was purchased from a PSA black friday sale for $499 shipped, she has been nothing but smiles since then!

20150223_201219.jpg

have and carry the 938 SAS daily. Picked mine up through palmetto on the black friday sale as well for $499 with free shipping. The SAS comes with the 7 round mag and as an added bonus the SAS is the "melted" version where they rounded off all the sharp edges and hard corners for improved ease of carry. I picked up one of the DeSaints dual carry iwb/owb holsters as it has the thumb break retention and it has worked well for me so far *** note - DeSaints lists it for the p238 and not the 938 but it fits - was just a bit snug the first week or so. The controls, while similar to the 1911, do have a few differences - one to note is that you can engage the safety with the hammer down so if you carry with one in the chamber and hammer down its something to remember - with the safety on you can not pull the hammer back.

To date I have not had a single hickup - no fail to fire, fail to extract, or jams of any kind.
I have to thank my wife for requiring me to get a different carry that has a manual safety "just in case the kiddo (now 2) manages to get his mits on it somehow".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top