JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

First post (outside of the classified section....should have reversed...). Nice to be here.

I'm a recent Sig convert and want something that will be 1) a good backup gun to my issued Glock 22, and 2) something that I'll like to shoot outside of qualifications. I just sold a Glock 27 (perfect backup gun to my duty pistol....but I hated shooting it...) and want to replace it with something that 1) is more comfortable to shoot, and 2) not as bulky.

A co-worker carries a LC9, which is nice and thin but it's a bit of a firecracker to shoot and the trigger isn't my favorite. I've shot a LCP, but I'd like something a bit more powerful in a frame that fits my hand better.

I held a Sig 290RS today and really like it...it was one of the "enhanced" versions, and it was both pretty and comfortable. I think the DAO trigger is do-able...makes me focus on the fundamentals, and it's not that different than the DAO 1st shot of my P229R.

Anyway, before I go buy that P290 enhanced I figured I'd gather the input here. I've read through the threads, but some are so old they're dealing with the first generation of this pistol, which I've gathered is not as nice.

Thanks in advance.

The ReStrike is an awfully nice little gun, had I not gone the P938 route I may well have ended up with one. I've tried most of the other micro 9mms, and aside from my 938 it's about my favorite to shoot. It it very comparable in size, mostly came down to the trigger, metal frame, and general shininess of the 938, cost be darned. As DAOs go, I found the 290 to be very pleasant. Much more so that the LC9, and infinitely more that the terrible little LCP. Awful shooting (though dead nuts reliable) gun that thing is. The only DAO trigger I've liked more is the P250 and some 3rd gen S&Ws like my 3913, though it's beautiful SA pull and reset are even better. That's just happy...

I looking for advice regarding this pistol as well. I have yet to hold one, but they sure look nice. Though not a fan of DAO triggers, I feel I can adapt due to the fact that this will be an EDC weapon rather than a target shooting model. Can anyone tell me "how" the trigger feels? Crisp, long, short, nice reset? Also what about mags? Are they pretty available? Prices for mags?

Thanks....

Thanks guys. Just picked one up today....the Sig P290RS Enhanced. If it shoots as nice as it looks, I'll be pleased.

simon99, I too am not a fan of SA triggers in general, but my Sig P229R changed that. When I first shot that gun, I figured I'd be pesky and try it in SA mode first, knowing (or rather, thinking I'd know) that I'd hate it, and that I'd shoot terribly with it. Lo and behold....that first shot went right into the right eye socket of the silhouette target at 50'. I couldn't believe it. Something about that SA trigger forced me to focus on the front sight more (duh!) to keep it still, and kept a bit more tension in my hands, AND kept me relaxing the tip of my trigger finger to help use my knuckle joint more. Bam. Right on. And, deep down I figured I'd get old school eventually and work my way into revolvers, though I tried to delay that as much as possible. My P229R and this P290RS are a step in that direction, I wager.

To answer your question...the trigger on my P290 isn't that great, yet. I say that knowing that the gun needs to break in a bit, as I recognize that "new gun" stiffness/roughness. Mind you, the finish and fit is exemplary, but you know what I mean.....you know the pants fit, but as you wear them they only get more comfortable. That sort of deal, but with the trigger. I'm not a fan of "mini-guns", but figured it'd be the responsible thing to do to get a backup for my duty weapon as well as a "comfortable" carry option outside of work. I'll strip this gun down and give it a once-over before taking it to the range for a workout/break-in session, but I have no issues with it thusfar. The trigger reminds me of the DA first pull on a regular Sig....long, but not too long. The break is crisp and the reset is about 80% of the way back to the start. It's a bit rough right before the break, but I can tell that's a "break in" deal, as even in the 50 or so trigger pulls I've done already I can tell it's working itself out. The mags....don't know about availability, and don't know the price...that's one for Google to answer. It came with one 6 and one 8 round, the latter with a pinky extension. This one has the G10 grip inserts, so they flare out a bit to fill the hand, but don't match so well with the extended mag. You don't really notice it, though, and I think the aesthetic benefit is worth it for the enhanced version.

I'll try to remember to post back once I actually SHOOT the darn thing. I certainly do like the way it's built....I've recently fallen for Sigs in a big way.

Thanks guys. Just picked one up today....the Sig P290RS Enhanced. If it shoots as nice as it looks, I'll be pleased.

simon99, I too am not a fan of SA triggers in general, but my Sig P229R changed that. When I first shot that gun, I figured I'd be pesky and try it in SA mode first, knowing (or rather, thinking I'd know) that I'd hate it, and that I'd shoot terribly with it. Lo and behold....that first shot went right into the right eye socket of the silhouette target at 50'. I couldn't believe it. Something about that SA trigger forced me to focus on the front sight more (duh!) to keep it still, and kept a bit more tension in my hands, AND kept me relaxing the tip of my trigger finger to help use my knuckle joint more. Bam. Right on. And, deep down I figured I'd get old school eventually and work my way into revolvers, though I tried to delay that as much as possible. My P229R and this P290RS are a step in that direction, I wager.

To answer your question...the trigger on my P290 isn't that great, yet. I say that knowing that the gun needs to break in a bit, as I recognize that "new gun" stiffness/roughness. Mind you, the finish and fit is exemplary, but you know what I mean.....you know the pants fit, but as you wear them they only get more comfortable. That sort of deal, but with the trigger. I'm not a fan of "mini-guns", but figured it'd be the responsible thing to do to get a backup for my duty weapon as well as a "comfortable" carry option outside of work. I'll strip this gun down and give it a once-over before taking it to the range for a workout/break-in session, but I have no issues with it thusfar. The trigger reminds me of the DA first pull on a regular Sig....long, but not too long. The break is crisp and the reset is about 80% of the way back to the start. It's a bit rough right before the break, but I can tell that's a "break in" deal, as even in the 50 or so trigger pulls I've done already I can tell it's working itself out. The mags....don't know about availability, and don't know the price...that's one for Google to answer. It came with one 6 and one 8 round, the latter with a pinky extension. This one has the G10 grip inserts, so they flare out a bit to fill the hand, but don't match so well with the extended mag. You don't really notice it, though, and I think the aesthetic benefit is worth it for the enhanced version.

I'll try to remember to post back once I actually SHOOT the darn thing. I certainly do like the way it's built....I've recently fallen for Sigs in a big way.

Thanks for the great reply. If its not too much trouble, PM me when you get some more rounds through it. I'd like to hear how it improves with time....

Thanks again.

Sure. I'll keep this tab open and reply once I hit the range. Maybe....oh...Tuesday or so of next week, depending on how the week goes. I like to get all OCD on my weapons and clean them up thoroughly before I get too far into them, so that should give me time.

Okay, shot the P290RS Enhanced today. It's nice. I brought along my Glock 19 (Gen 3) for a comparison, as the 19 is pretty "ideal" for a 9mm handgun.

Shooting the P290RS made me realize how LIGHT the Glock trigger is. Short, quick reset, decent break....it's not bad, and I'm realizing this after shooting my P229 and this P290RS. As much as I'd like a pistol to have that certain something that comes with higher end pistols, I have to acknowledge that the Glock 19 is a *really* good pistol.

That said, the 19 had more flip to it than the P290RS. The Sig seemed to push back into my hand, whereas the Glock's recoil had a bit more flip to it. I will say, I do enjoy shooting this Sig a lot more than shooting my Glock 27, and as well, my grouping with the Sig was noticeably better at 50' than the Glock...and that's with me never shooting the Sig before. I've shot Glocks a lot, but I'll be darned that Sig was actually more accurate, albeit at a slower pace, than my Glock. I'd say the Glock was more comfortable to shoot, as the Sig has a narrower frame and is lighter, but by no means was the Sig "uncomfortable". Actually, it was a ton of fun to shoot, and I was very surprised by how it performed. I like it.

The balance of the P290RS is such that it sits "heavy" in my hand, especially given it's size. It's balanced front to back, and has enough weight to stay down when held and fired. I experienced no issues whatsoever in the first 60 or so rounds put through the pistol, using a combination of Magtech and PMC 115grn 9mm ammo. The trigger is starting to smooth out after 300 or so dry fires, and I've had no issues with anything else.

All in all, that P290RS really surprised me. I was going to order some regular, "non-enhanced" grips from Sig to aid with the compactness for carry, but after shooting it I really appreciate the G10 grips Sig put on it. I thought I'd shoot better with the extended mag, but my groups were basically as good, and sometimes better, with the standard, short magazine. Go figure.

Slow trigger pulls aren't the smoothest, as the trigger has this little "hitch" right before the hammer releases, but then I didn't get this gun to be some exotic, high-end piece, but rather something portable, accurate, powerful, and enjoyable to shoot. That it is, and I have no regrets.

Lemme know if you have any particular questions about it. So far, it's great. I now have a new appreciation for Glock, especially the 19, but at the same time my next pistol purchase will likely be a Sig P229 in 9mm, as I'll be darned if I'm not infatuated with Sig in general.