Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sig P238

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by fishmagnet1, Nov 26, 2011.

1. fishmagnet1

fishmagnet1 Monroe, Wa. New Member

Looking for another small carry gun.
    Sig P238 feels nice and looks to be well made.
    Not sure about the .380 ammo vs the 9mm however.
    Currently carry S&W airwieght .38 Special.

Thoughts on the Sig and the ammo.

2. ironmike86

ironmike86 WA Member

Nice gun. I like them. Look at Rugar Lc9 or kahr Cm9 if you want a 9mm. The Sig would be my choice for .380 but you can get a 9mm for less $ that almost the same size. But if your going to get the Sig you won't be dissapointed. Some ppl recommend FMJ ammo for better pennetration with .380 Hollow points are used to prevent over penetration which you maynot get with a .380

3. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I love my P238 so much that I am selling my 9mm Rohrbaugh. It is a great little gun.

5. mookmanjdj

mookmanjdj Oregon Coast Member

My wife carries a .380 Bersa. Dont know much about the P238, but I use a P220. Sigs are great guns. On the ammo side, 380 ammo costs more on average than 9mm. I reload my own. It is the same bullet as a 9mm, I just use 95gr for 380 and 115 for 9mm and less powder of course.

6. fishmagnet1

fishmagnet1 Monroe, Wa. New Member

Kimber Solo 9mm was another thought I had but more dollars.
    Not sure if it is worth the extra money.

7. cotillion

cotillion medford Active Member

The Sig 238 is my dream gun, unfortunately I can't afford it but would highly suggest it for people who can! As for the .380 debate, a .22lr is responsible for thousands of deaths, I'm sure the .380 will serve just fine.

Imo~

8. PlayboyPenguin

If you are going to pay the money for the Solo just get a Rohrbaugh. They are superior in my opinion. They are also smaller.

9. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I had one and it was a really nice gun. More accurate than most it's size and reliable. I sold it off when I got a Ruger LC9. Someday I may buy another :)

10. Webfeet

Webfeet Vancouver, Wa Member

The P238 is a great pistol. Sig seems to have finally worked all the design and production bugs out. Just be careful if buying a used one, as some of the earlier production runs had multiple problems. My friend just took delivery on a new P238 with a laser for $460 shipped! Here's the link from the Sig Forum. He said these guys were very good to work with. He used a local FFL that charged $15 and no sales tax!!! That's $475 total for a two tone P238 with the factory laser. Here's the link...
    wts: SIG P238.....SPECIAL OFFER! / FREE SHIPPING...also, STEYR M9-A1 - Topic Notice the free shipping note in the post. :thumbup:
    If you are looking for a 9mm don't count out the Beretta Nano... It's the size of a PM9 with great quality and a low price. Here's a link to a review on Sig Forum by a very respected member.
    Beretta's Nano: First Impressions - Topic
    Those 238's are nice looking pocket guns. Good luck in your hunt. Now's a good time to pick one up with the costs where I'm seeing them.

11. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

That's a pretty darn good price, Web feet!

12. d3mo

d3mo Portland New Member

I absolutely love my P238! Still love to plink away with it, it really is a joy to shoot.

Only downside, .380 is not cheap. At the range especially, it can run you quite a bit. And, more rare than other ammo. Usually only a couple of boxes left at the local shops when I'm out to pick up a few boxes. These are the only reasons I don't shoot this gun way more often. Wish Sig had this same design in a 9mm....but I would just end up giving them more of my money.

13. bumbazine

bumbazine Newberg, OR Member

Sig is going to make a 9mm version, the P938, with an ambi safety. Why they couldn't have offered the option of an ambi safety on the P238 for us leftys is beyond me. Idjits!

14. PlayboyPenguin

I will buy the P938 when it comes to market, but I still think I would prefer the P238. The .380 is adequate for self defense and much easier to shoot accurately for me.

15. d3mo

d3mo Portland New Member

The P938 has me drooling. Been scouring the internet, but no one seems to have a picture of it yet. Just the Sig announcement and catalog update. Hopefully, we'll see something on it soon...