JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As my father is in the last few days of life, I wanted something to help me remember this time, to hold in my hand and bring back the memories of my father. So while I had a caregiver give me some respite care, I went into town and purchase a Sig P238 rainbow...my normal pistol would be a black side over a SS frame, but as God put a rainbow in the sky as a reminder to us about his promise, I wanted a rainbow in my hand as a reminder of my dad. I may never fire the pistol (I'm undecided on this right now) and I will never sell this pistol either... I may have some engraving done to memorialize my dad's life so all who see this little pistol might understand why I have it and to provide a legacy to his grandchildren.

This time of life has been so much harder than I can ever imagine, providing hospice care for my father, I hope is the best care he could have, it would have been easier to place Dad in a nursing home, but I wouldn't have been able to look at myself in the mirror. Should there be others on this forum going through this, I will pray for you and your loved one! To those with Mom's and Dad's still alive, cherish them, love them, spend as much time as you can because one day they will be gone and all you will have are your memories.

My father passed last night at 11:15...I sure miss him...

7517927030_91f37ff9c7.jpg

Techieguy - thanks for sharing your memorial and very personal thoughts and experience. Guessing your father was the first to put a firearm in your hands and teach you both skills, safety. I wish you the fondest of memories to help you through this challenging time of powerful personal loss.

My dad is aged and has gone through some health challenges, but doing ok. I really like your idea of a very fitting memorial to a father. Not suggesting it for you, but if I borrow your idea and eventually get/engrave a memorial firearm, I would use it for even stronger memories. My earliest shooting memories kicked in and I know exactly what it will be. Will watch for one (or look alike) on NWF.
Oh and Sig P238 - have one also - nice rig. Your rainbow memorial looks great.

Thanks for all the kind words...I still have the first firearm my Dad gave me for my 8th birthday (Marlin 39A Mountie) Its the same rifle that I used to teach my three boys about firearms and shooting. I also have a couple others firearms that belong to Dad these I will use and pass onto his grandchildren when the time is right for all those involved. All my boys love firearms and they loved their Grandfather.

Thank you all.

I'm very sorry for your loss. My Father died suddenly at 52 from heart failure. Right now, my Stepfather is in the final stages of lung cancer. Either way, it's very painful and I wish you and your family the best in this hard time.

I would also like to thank you. I never realized until this post that the first thing that I did for myself when my Dad passed was buy a Ruger KP345. I still have the first gun he gave me for my 7th birthday(Ithaca Model 49 Saddle Gun). I honestly thank you for making me realize that the pistol I purchased just after he died is actually Dad's pistol. My fondest memories of Dad are the times shooting. Good luck to you and you and your family are in my prayers. Kip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top