Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sig P238 mag question

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by CIPuyleart, Jan 14, 2011.

1. CIPuyleart

CIPuyleart La Center, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Being that my Sig P238 is my first experience with the 1911 platform in any way/shape/form (other than running a few clips through a friend's older Colt Officer's 9mm), I've got a question on the mags that I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide some insight on.

The pistol I picked up came with two mags - one the standard 6-rnd stainless steel and the other Sig's new X-Grip extended 7-rnd made of galvanized steel. Both operate great (ran a mixed box through it the other day using both mags and have a leaning toward using the 7-rnd more just because of the pinky grip and extra capacity, but if it's in my pocket the 6-rnd does fit better).

The question is, when I release the 6-round mag, empty or full, it drops out of the pistol look nobodies business...exactly how I would expect a mad to drop. The 7-round mag, however, only pops down about 1/4" or so and stops. You have to pull it out the rest of the way. Even holding the gun in firing position, it only drops maybe 1/2" and stops.

The only difference I see between the two is that the 7-rnd has a "bump" on the left side near the top (see photo - 7-rnd on the left) that the 6-rnd does not. It does not show any wear on it though, which I would expect to see if this was rubbing and thereby causing it to not drop free. I want to get my hands on a couple more of these extended mags, but would prefer to know what's hanging them up (and if I can fix it) before investing a bunch more $$ in something that I'll ultimately not use as much (because the ability to reload quickly and efficiently falls higher on my priority list than the extra round or pinky extension).

DSCN1824_resize.jpg

Thanks for any info you guys might have...

2. mxitman

mxitman N. Seattle Member

That looks like a factory dimple in the xmag but I think thats what hanging you up. I just ordered 2 of these magazines and I'm going to be bummed if they don't just drop out like the 6 rounders do.

3. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

Get a magnifying glass and examine it closely. Apologies if you've done this. Good Luck

4. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

why dont you just buy the colt pony mags? they are half the price of the sigs and work just the same...

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

^^^ This. Sig bought the patent rights for the Colt Mustang/Pony. The Colt mags work fine from folks I have heard that have the Sig 238's.

6. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

If you want to buy two colt pony mags I have two; one w/ pinky extention; one without $10 apiece Pm me I would trade for lots of 9mm ammo or 223 ammo LOL

7. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

yea I know Sig bought bought the rights, but the colt mags still run about $23 compared to the almost $50, i used the colts in my p238 and they worked great..

8. CIPuyleart

CIPuyleart La Center, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The dimple is factory, and I give it a couple of taps with a punch (with a block inside to prevent changing the lips of the mag) and it now drops free easily when empty.

I could get some colt pony 7-rnd mags, but the pinky extension on them doesn't look/feel quite the same to me. I like the fit/feel/look of the extension on the Sig mags.

@mxitman - I had a 3-pack of 7-rnd mags on order (placed my order on Feb 2) that JUST showed up yesterday. The first thing I did was pull them out and take a look. They all have the same dimple, but it is not as pronounced (doesn't stick up as much). The first one I checked dropped free empty without any adjustment. I didn't open the other two, because I'm undecided if I'll actually use them, or put them up for sale (given the fact NO ONE has any in stock it seems).