JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being that my Sig P238 is my first experience with the 1911 platform in any way/shape/form (other than running a few clips through a friend's older Colt Officer's 9mm), I've got a question on the mags that I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide some insight on.

The pistol I picked up came with two mags - one the standard 6-rnd stainless steel and the other Sig's new X-Grip extended 7-rnd made of galvanized steel. Both operate great (ran a mixed box through it the other day using both mags and have a leaning toward using the 7-rnd more just because of the pinky grip and extra capacity, but if it's in my pocket the 6-rnd does fit better).

The question is, when I release the 6-round mag, empty or full, it drops out of the pistol look nobodies business...exactly how I would expect a mad to drop. The 7-round mag, however, only pops down about 1/4" or so and stops. You have to pull it out the rest of the way. Even holding the gun in firing position, it only drops maybe 1/2" and stops.

The only difference I see between the two is that the 7-rnd has a "bump" on the left side near the top (see photo - 7-rnd on the left) that the 6-rnd does not. It does not show any wear on it though, which I would expect to see if this was rubbing and thereby causing it to not drop free. I want to get my hands on a couple more of these extended mags, but would prefer to know what's hanging them up (and if I can fix it) before investing a bunch more $$ in something that I'll ultimately not use as much (because the ability to reload quickly and efficiently falls higher on my priority list than the extra round or pinky extension).

View attachment 194026

Thanks for any info you guys might have...

That looks like a factory dimple in the xmag but I think thats what hanging you up. I just ordered 2 of these magazines and I'm going to be bummed if they don't just drop out like the 6 rounders do.

yea I know Sig bought bought the rights, but the colt mags still run about $23 compared to the almost $50, i used the colts in my p238 and they worked great..

The dimple is factory, and I give it a couple of taps with a punch (with a block inside to prevent changing the lips of the mag) and it now drops free easily when empty.

I could get some colt pony 7-rnd mags, but the pinky extension on them doesn't look/feel quite the same to me. I like the fit/feel/look of the extension on the Sig mags.

@mxitman - I had a 3-pack of 7-rnd mags on order (placed my order on Feb 2) that JUST showed up yesterday. The first thing I did was pull them out and take a look. They all have the same dimple, but it is not as pronounced (doesn't stick up as much). The first one I checked dropped free empty without any adjustment. I didn't open the other two, because I'm undecided if I'll actually use them, or put them up for sale (given the fact NO ONE has any in stock it seems).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top