JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was at my local gun shop and was able to finally hold a P238.... iv always been curious of these and i really like the size... My only dislike is its a .380 (I dont have anything against, just used to my .40's:D) it was $650, but a quick search on google shows they can be had for about 500.... has anyone shot one of these or have an opinion? Im thinking i may pickone up just for the sake of a Backup...

They had issues when they first came out like the bottom of the feed ramp hitting the magazine and making a nick, but new production ones seem to have fixed all the bugs. If you happen to get an old one (not likely) sig will update it for you.

Personally they are my favorite .380 pocket gun. Fit and finish is top notch making for a beautiful little gun. Since it is recoil operated rather than direct blowback like most .380s, recoil is much less snappy and the slide is very easy to operate. Trigger is a little stiff, but very crisp with no extra travel before it engages and is single action only. Best of all, IT HAS SIGHTS! And good ones too, tritium night sights on the cooler models. Don't tell me those little nubs on your ruger count as sights. :| It is superior in pretty much every way to kel-tec and ruger .380s, but the price reflects that. Definitely worth the $ imo.

You know how little .380s are usually a pain in the rear to shoot and not enjoyable at all? This one is totally the opposite, I feel I can effectively engage targets out to 50yds just like a full size handgun.

My wife bought a 238 and we both love it. As spengo says, the sights are great, low recoil, easy to operate the slide and feels good in the hand. I also like that it slide locks on the last shell. A bit pricey, yes, but worth it. I was tempted to buy one for myself for summer carry and winter back up until I read about the S&W bodygaurd 380. I purchased one about a month ago and am very satisfied. Good/full size sights (not tritium, too bad). I don't even use need to use the laser but I will train with it soon.
My $.02 for what it is worth. My wife may comment soon.

Totally agree with Spengo and Brickman. It's the only .380 I've shot that I really like. Great size for concealing either as a primary or BUG. As you mentioned my only qualm is the caliber size, but if you're gonna go .380, it's been well worth the extra $ over those others.

I was originally going to pay up and purchase a Kahr p380, but once I found this little Sig, my mind was changed. For a cheaper price tag I feel like I got much more in quality of feel with the steel vs. plastic type when you hold them side by side. Awesome with the (fiber-optic front) night sites on mine. I was able to buy the equinox for only 550-575 compared to the p380's over 650 at the gun show. All that pointed me away from the Kahr, coupled with Kahrs "don't call us about jamming issues until after 200-400 rounds have been fired" motto. How much more cash is that to break it in??? And compared to little Keltec/Ruger LCP type... there's no competition. I can't stand my LCP--unless it's my last resort, since it jams a lot and isn't comfortable shooting.

Shooting this Sig... it's a fun little gun and quite accurate and feels so smooth with so little recoil as everyone stated. No jamming issues on mine yet.

The last thing I'd mention is that the handle is so much nicer than many of those others... it's not huge but easier to hang onto than LCP types. And I probably don't have as big of hands as most of you fellas, being a girl and all.

Well I was going to buy a S n W CS .40 but after holding the P238 I think it will serve a better purpose then the Smith... and very small and my Wife can even carry it and not feel like she was carrying a brick... Now if I can find one in the $500 range

Well I was going to buy a S n W CS .40 but after holding the P238 I think it will serve a better purpose then the Smith... and very small and my Wife can even carry it and not feel like she was carrying a brick... Now if I can find one in the $500 range

Usually the ones with plastic grips and basic 3-dot sights (no tritium, still nice sights though) will go for around that. Go to your local gun store and ask if they can get one for you (if they don't have one in stock already that is, they disappear fast lol).

Ya well my local gun shop wants 660 for them ( according to them they all come with tritium night sights) from my reasearch that's a lil spendy correct?

Ya well my local gun shop wants 660 for them ( according to them they all come with tritium night sights) from my reasearch that's a lil spendy correct?

Ouch, yeah, unless it is one with nice wood grips. Maybe ask how much they charge to transfer, find a price online, and tell them to transfer that one (or if they want to match prices that is cool too). You can probably get one for under $600 I bet.

Also For those of you that Do own a P238 this may be of interest to you... A recall on some of them.

P238 Upgrade

Also I have read that the P238 accepts and uses the Colt Mustang mags... Which are about half the price of the P238 mags

I have been extremely with my 238. I have only fired a couple hundred rounds through thus far, but it has been flawless. The sites are great, it is light weight and fits a pocket nicely. Even in the summer months it slips into a pair of cargo shorts no problem.

The compact size has made it enjoyable for the wife to hit the range as well. Very little kick to it when firing and easy to handle.

I was able to pick up the two tone with blackwood grips for $550. Great little purchase.

I like mine, it's one of a couple .380's that I would actually carry.

P238Gun.jpg

I've had two of them.
Last year they were available with standard 3-dot sights for a hundred bucks less. This years they all appear to have night sights, and are more expensive. I like night sights, so sold my first one, and bought one with NS.
Good pocket gun with one caveat: When carrying cocked and locked, which makes sense with this gun, I always carry in a holster that covers the trigger. Just my $.02.

They're a nice looking piece..but I wouldn't get one.. For me..a .380 is purely a last ditch back-up..and a single action pocket gun makes no sense.. If you're going to carry it as a back up..you have two choices.. Hammer down..which means you're going to have to draw and cock it..in a critical situation..or cocked and locked..which means it's going to snag..and you're trusting the safety to stay on.. And..no offense..but as far as engaging a target at 50 yards..as was mentioned.. I'm takin cover..and gettin outta Dodge...

Just my :s0159:

They're a nice looking piece..but I wouldn't get one.. For me..a .380 is purely a last ditch back-up..and a single action pocket gun makes no sense.. If you're going to carry it as a back up..you have two choices.. Hammer down..which means you're going to have to draw and cock it..in a critical situation..or cocked and locked..which means it's going to snag..and you're trusting the safety to stay on.. And..no offense..but as far as engaging a target at 50 yards..as was mentioned.. I'm takin cover..and gettin outta Dodge...

You just saved me some typing!

What I meant was, it is a pocket gun that you can actually aim and get off fast, accurate shots just like a full size handgun. .380ACP is *plenty* powerful if you have good shot placement and this is a gun that makes that very easy. At 50 yards, looking for cover would be my first choice as well.

As for the single action trigger, it isn't a super light competition 1911 trigger you know. I think sig's website lists it at around 8lbs. It is a somewhat stiff trigger, but it is very crisp with little to no creep or over-travel. Just another factor that lends towards accurate shooting. :) Cocked and locked is fine for me, the safety is very solid. A big improvement on the old Colt Mustang safety imo. Does not seem likely to disengage in a pocket. And snags? Just don't put anything else in that pocket lol. I think they make a version that has all the edges rounded if it concerns you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top