JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I 've had a P227 for a couple of years now. I've read about the 14 round magazines FTF issues, but never experienced them. Until now. Today at the range two mags had multiple FTFs on each set. 3 or 4 out of 14. Damn. Anyways, I'd already bought the Wolff springs a year or two ago, so I started swapping them out. Not too much information on the internet on how to do it, but it wasn't too hard. I have just one issue. The one video I found on the internet compared the Wolff spring to the stock Sig, and the Wolff spring was longer than the Sig. Mine are reversed. The stock Sigs are about an inch or two longer than the Wolffs. It does feel like the modded mags have more spring pressure than stock... the Wolf Springs are the 3 packs: model 76073.

Has anyone else seen the Wolffs being shorter than the stockers?

Thanks!

Nope. The springs I bought

76073PARA ORDNANCE STD/P14 10% XP MAG SPRING Pak of 3

Are definitely longer IIRC. Indeed, so much so that I can only get 13 rounds in the mag. Been thinking about cutting the spring about half a coil to make it fit better.

Nope. The springs I bought

76073PARA ORDNANCE STD/P14 10% XP MAG SPRING Pak of 3

Are definitely longer IIRC. Indeed, so much so that I can only get 13 rounds in the mag. Been thinking about cutting the spring about half a coil to make it fit better.
Weird. That is definitely the part number I have. Two bags of 3. All of them are a bit shorter than the stock Sig springs. My mags are all from near the end of availability; I wonder if Sig tried to fix things at the end with longer springs? Today was the first time I had a FTF. I was shooting really dirty ammo, and it started to FTF after about 60 rounds. The gun was really filthy by then.

Anyways, The 14th round is stiffer to get in than it was, but no issue at all with an upluula.

Weird. That is definitely the part number I have. Two bags of 3. All of them are a bit shorter than the stock Sig springs. My mags are all from near the end of availability; I wonder if Sig tried to fix things at the end with longer springs? Today was the first time I had a FTF. I was shooting really dirty ammo, and it started to FTF after about 60 rounds. The gun was really filthy by then.

Anyways, The 14th round is stiffer to get in than it was, but no issue at all with an upluula.

I will try to check again, but that is what I recall. IIRC I have about ten of the 14 rd mags and not all of them have been changed yet - all have been tested and all failed on the first try except one which failed on the second try. I think I have 3-4 that have had the springs swapped and then they worked. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get some more springs.

OK, I did some measurements and this was interesting stuff. First off, my Wolff springs are almost 2 inches shorter than the stock Sig springs after both have been compressed with 14 rounds. Also, the wire diameter on the Wolffs is only a tiny bit bigger, 1.25 mm compared to 1.31 mm. This concerned me, so I started measuring spring force. The force required to install the spring to 1/2" short of full installation (so there wouldn't be interference) was 100 grams MORE with the stock Sig springs. This I think is because of the longer length of the Sigs. Things change though once you start loading rounds. With one round in the magazine the force required to slightly push down the one round is 200 grams higher with the Wolff spring. 1300 grams compared to 1500 grams. With eight rounds loaded, the force required to slightly compress the stack is 500 grams higher with the Wolff springs, 1500 compared to 2000 grams. Obviously the higher spring rate of the Wolff's is making up for the shorter length.

This still begs the question though; why are my Wolff springs so much shorter than the Sigs when this seems to be the opposite of everyone else's experience? My Wolff springs are about 8.75" long, and my Sig springs are about 10.25" long. If anyone has any of these springs handy, could you please measure them? I've also ordered another set from Wolff to compare, along with the "custom" springs on the same page that are supposed to have three extra coils.