JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want a 224 in the worst way. I would have to sell my p229 sas set to do this.

I shoot better with the 229 than with any other of the ten 9's I have shot.

How much better does the 224 conceal? Will I be able to shoot it almost as well?

What are the next best compact nines in Your opinion?

I value your feedback and will use it to make my decision. Please do not tell me about guns you have not shot yourself.

Thanks,
Rick

If you feel like the grip is a bit to long for CC, then a 224 will help. Obviously you lose some firepower..When selecting a CC I dont make my decision based on how accurate I can shoot it at the range. I don't want a little pocket gun, and I don't want to carry a brick either. Theres a balance and its something you have to figure out for yourself. Personally I carry a M&P 45c in a Crossbreed super tuck.

I shoot the 224 in .40, and its recoil feels nearly the same as the 229 in the same caliber (not sure if that holds true for the 9mm, as the .40 is the only direct experience I have). The weight seems to do a really good job of taming the kick. It's easy to get back on target quickly, and I've gone through a couple hundred rounds at a time without any discomfort at all. It's definitely concealable for me -- a woman of average size -- under just a thick t-shirt with a good IWB Crossbreed-style holster. Hope that helps.

Sorry to bother you again but first hand experience with the 224 is non-existent. I have a p229 in 9 and think that it is the best pistol made. More importantly, I shoot it better than other pistols. I couldn't find one so I bought a MP 9c. When playing with the MP and my 229 there is no comparison--the sig is totally better. I am going to sell the MP and wait for a 224. How well does it shoot compared to your 229? did you find a good holster you can recommend? The handle is much shorter statistically than most guns. Do you think a man with average sized hands can get two fingers on the grip?

Thanks for your responses to date.

From an accuracy standpoint, I haven't personally found any difference between the 224 and 229. I'm a reasonably proficient shooter, and both pistols put rounds pretty much where I want them. The shortened grip makes it a solid 2-finger gun for my husband, who said this may contribute to it feeling a little snappier to him than his 229. Definitely nothing uncontrollable, just a little more felt recoil from his perspective.

I use an IWB holster from Hidden Hybrid Holsters most of the time. It's very similar to the Crossbreed SuperTuck, except it can also be used OWB. The Hidden Hybrid version provides a little more muzzle coverage (based on the product pictures on the website), which is why I chose it over the Crossbreed.

Skagit Arms in Burlington had a 224 when I was in there a couple weeks ago. Might be worth calling to see if it's still there. Street price was $950 IIRC.

Interesting comparison you presented about the Sig vs. M&P. I'm thinking about getting either a Shield or Beretta Nano, and will be curious how they stack up in the long term to the Sig.

Last Edited:
I'm also in the market for a CC. I have a 229 Elite Dark, and the handle usualy prints. I also don't really like the beavertail diggin into the back. I was also thinking about a M&P 9mm Shield. I like the three finger grip, but it is more slim. I would miss the hammer and decock of the Sig. It is interesting that you are thinking about replacing the SAS, since I was thinking about trading for one assuming it carried better.

Cheers.

I haven't tried a 224 but I have w german 228 that is fantastic. I recently picked up a 239, which I'm very fond of. It's got a longer grip than a 224 which, I like, and the grip is slimmer than a 224, which I also like. It's something else to consider. To me, it feels much better in the hand than a real short grip. you do give up a little capacity but its all about balance and trade offs.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top