JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heck, I can't even remember the Swiss ever being in a war. What difference does it make what gun they buy if they never use them? I want guns the winners use not the bench warmers.

jj

You ask what model was tested and I have not found the answer to that question yet. I am ASSUMING the P250 but I am still looking for who all was in the testing.

But what does that really have to do with the test. Are you saying only certain Sigs are good quality and can pass muster and others can not?

The Swiss put out the requirements and Sig gave them what they felt was the best choice and it wasn’t. Did cost have an issue yep; it is one factor along with the performance of the firearm and speed of delivery.

Sigs are good guns but like many I feel they do not perform so much better that they are worth twice the price of a Glock, S&W M&P or a XD/XDM.

Like the Swiss each of us have certain criteria in our minds of what a handgun or rifle needs to meet in order to feel confident in its use. For most folks reliability is the #1 factor but the price, part availability, magazine availability and accessory like holsters lights and lasers are also factors.

I have owned Sigs (P220, 229 in .357 sig and 9mm, 226 9mm) and H&Ks (USP 40, and 45) Good guns but they did not meet my needs. I live in the Spokane, Coeur d Alene area and Magazines and parts are very hard to get, never in stock and twice the price.

With Glock, S&W M&P or a XD/XDM guns I have been able to walk in and walk out with mags. Over the last 30 years of personal testing and shooting local competitions with a verity of firearms including the Sigs and H&Ks I have found two guns that meet my requirement. A plain Jane 1911 and the Glock 19 and my first choice is the Glock 19.

I do not shoot matches to be completive I shoot them to hone my skill in case I ever need them in a real world situation. In the last 5 years the G19 has never failed me but my Sig 229 9mm did twice and after getting it back the second time I dumped it. So they may be good but they are not perfect. The Swiss may have gotten some bad samples as well.

Is one better than the other it is purely opinion based on the criteria a person or in this case a country sets. If there was one perfect handgun to meet all needs then there would be no need for this forum as only one handgun would exist!

Just my thoughts

If Glocks are so ugly, why do they have so many imitators?
I was surprised to find no metal frame autos, on the S&W website, don't they make them, any longer?

I was surprised to find no metal frame autos, on the S&W website, don't they make them, any longer?

Smith & Wesson has never had an automatic pistol in production for very long. They are always seeming to change or discontinue them for poor sales, operational problems, and or all of the above. Even their Sigma Polymer framed gun met it's demise through operational issues and lawsuits from Glock for patent infringements. They should just stick to making revolvers. They do it well, and they can sell them. Bill T.

I read a post on another board a few months back. A member in the 90s was involved in selecting a new pistol for a large PD. They tested many and found Glock, S&W, and Sig to meet the needs of the PD of all the ones they tested. They requested a quote from each company for a few thousand pistols, mags, holsters.

From what I recall S&W was about half the total cost of the Sig package. Glock was about half the total cost of the S&W package.

So they all got Glocks!

That's the condensed version!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews