JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I bought a sig 938 a while back and just got to go shoot it the other day. I don't know what the original owner did to it but I cannot hit anything with it unless it's 10feet or less in front of me I'm aiming way up and the the right. I promise you I'm not that bad of a shot, so before you suggest that I had a few other people try it and they had the same issue loll. I would like to go somewhere near Portland or beaverton area if I can help it and obviously not pay a arm and a leg to get someone to work on it. Does anyone have anyone they would suggest? Thank you ahead of time!

I'll look into it, but I honestly have no clue on how to do it. I'm also curious how the hell you would fix the elevation on a sight like mine. They are sig tritium mh3 AN sights which doesn't look like you can adjust it up or down which I believe I need.

If elevation is as far off as you say, it might be a case of having a gunsmith take a good look at it overall. I'd highly recommend @Velzey but you might be waiting a while; the best is in high demand.

I'll look into it, but I honestly have no clue on how to do it. I'm also curious how the hell you would fix the elevation on a sight like mine. They are sig tritium mh3 AN sights which doesn't look like you can adjust it up or down which I believe I need.
Sig sights are available in numbers 4-10. These correspond with different elevations. Remember, Sig sights are shipped with a "behind the sight hold." Meaning that you cover the target with the front dot. If you're using a 6 o'clock hold, it's going to shoot very low.

Sig sights are available in numbers 4-10. These correspond with different elevations. Remember, Sig sights are shipped with a "behind the sight hold." Meaning that you cover the target with the front dot. If you're using a 6 o'clock hold, it's going to shoot very low.
So maybe I wrote that wrong. In order to hit a 10" gong from 10 feet away I have to aim up and to the right of it. I will look at what you linked really quick though.

You might try calling Chad at Killer Coatings in Cornelius. He does a LOT of sight installs and removals during Cerakoting and he knows his stuff.

Edited to add: @Velzey is the real deal for any/all gunsmithing work too!

What sights are on it now, regular white dot Siglights?
They will have the size stamped on them.
The rear sight # is on the side of it and should be a #8
The front is on top of the dovetail and should be a #6

So maybe I wrote that wrong. In order to hit a 10" gong from 10 feet away I have to aim up and to the right of it. I will look at what you linked really quick though.
So the Point Of Impact is low left when using a combat, cover the target with the front dot?

Your gun could very well be shooting low. However, the strong possibility exists that the sight picture you're using isn't what the gun was set up to do from the factory.
Sigs are set up for sight image 3. If you're using sight image 1 or 2, it's going to shoot low (you will have to aim high/up.)

Buying a different sight number will change the elevation if you prefer a different sight image.

Sight-Image-1024x506.jpg

Edit: From the article on how to change POI

How Different Sights Affect POI

If you're considering changing your sights to move your groups up or down, understand that changes to the rear sight affect your 25 yard point-of-impact twice as much as an equal change to the front sight.

To figure out exactly how different numbered sights will change your POI as compared to your current sights, keep in mind that at 25 yards, each sight number change is "worth" one inch for the front sight and two inches for the rear sight. So at 25 yards:

• Raising the front sight one number raises the POI by 1″
  • Lowering the front sight one number lowers the POI by 1″
  • Raising the rear sight one number raises the POI by 2″
  • Lowering the rear sight one number lowers the POI by 2″
Again, the front sight is worth 1″ and the rear sight is worth 2″ for every number change. This means that at 25 yards, the following sight combinations should all have the same POI on the same gun:

• 6 front / 8 rear
  • 8 front / 7 rear
  • 10 front / 6 rear

What sights are on it now, regular white dot Siglights?
They will have the size stamped on them.
The rear sight # is on the side of it and should be a #8
The front is on top of the dovetail and should be a #6

So the Point Of Impact is low left when using a combat, cover the target with the front dot?
Correct, and the only numbers I see on the sights are "MH3 AN" I can double check when I get home but I'm almost positive that's it on mine. They are also tritium Night sights

Your gun could very well be shooting low. However, the strong possibility exists that the sight picture you're using isn't what the gun was set up to do from the factory.
Sigs are set up for sight image 3. If you're using sight image 1 or 2, it's going to shoot low (you will have to aim high/up.)

Buying a different sight number will change the elevation if you prefer a different sight image.

View attachment 979419

Edit: From the article on how to change POI

How Different Sights Affect POI

If you're considering changing your sights to move your groups up or down, understand that changes to the rear sight affect your 25 yard point-of-impact twice as much as an equal change to the front sight.

To figure out exactly how different numbered sights will change your POI as compared to your current sights, keep in mind that at 25 yards, each sight number change is "worth" one inch for the front sight and two inches for the rear sight. So at 25 yards:

• Raising the front sight one number raises the POI by 1″
  • Lowering the front sight one number lowers the POI by 1″
  • Raising the rear sight one number raises the POI by 2″
  • Lowering the rear sight one number lowers the POI by 2″
Again, the front sight is worth 1″ and the rear sight is worth 2″ for every number change. This means that at 25 yards, the following sight combinations should all have the same POI on the same gun:

• 6 front / 8 rear
  • 8 front / 7 rear
  • 10 front / 6 rear
Thanks man, I did take a look at that link to where it shows that actually. I might have been shooting like picture two was but I'm almost positive I was shooting like picture three.

Sight #'s
o4CMn0fl.jpg

Low left shows up more in smaller guns and is not uncommon.
I'm betting that the sights are fine and a grip adjustment is in order.

I have to work harder with my 365 and 10 round mag to keep from doing that.
The XL grip fixed that for me but not an option for the 938.

Gotcha. Yeah I'm no expert that's forsure, I was at the range with it the other day and had a couple other guys take a look at it too. They were saying they looked off just at first glance, and I really just thought it was crazy how I had to hold it to be able to hit the gong that close. It was almost like the bottom of my barrel had to be held at the top right of the gong plus the gun width to the right to hit it. Like if I were looking at the sights in picture three on that diagram it wouldn't even be on the target what so ever. If that makes sense how describing it. I'd be like shooting directly at the head of someone behind the gong and to the right that was the height of the gong taller. Sorry really hard to describe..

Gotcha. Yeah I'm no expert that's forsure, I was at the range with it the other day and had a couple other guys take a look at it too. They were saying they looked off just at first glance, and I really just thought it was crazy how I had to hold it to be able to hit the gong that close. It was almost like the bottom of my barrel had to be held at the top right of the gong plus the gun width to the right to hit it. Like if I were looking at the sights in picture three on that diagram it wouldn't even be on the target what so ever. If that makes sense how describing it. I'd be like shooting directly at the head of someone behind the gong and to the right that was the height of the gong taller. Sorry really hard to describe..

Your description is good. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top