JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought a Sig 522. The Rifle came with iron sights which i removed. Mounted a Centerpoint 3x9 scope on it , boresighted, got out to about 50 yards to fine tune it. And nothing ! I was'nt even on the paper. I dont sight my own scopes in because i usually go thru alot of ammo. Now mind you i am left eye dominate, i write right handed, dribble a basketball left handed, so i dunno if this is screwin me up or what. Now there is a good amount of distance between the muzzle and the recticle on the scope, which leads me to believe to drop the elevation waydown. But when i adjust the scope it doesnt go down far enough. Any solutions would be appreciated, because i am about to bang this gun against a tree, cause its useless to me if it does'nt hit where i aim.

Sounds like you didn't actually boresight it very good.

Don't know what else to say. I own a 522 and it is an absolute tack driver, very well made. I doubt anything is wrong with the gun itself. Either you didn't correctly boresight it, your mounts may be way too high, or there is something wrong with your scope.

I dont sight my own scopes in because i usually go thru alot of ammo..

you probably should get somebody to sight it in for you... granted .22lr is dirt cheap...

sorry but there's a lot in your post that suggests you may need to get somebody who knows what they are doing...

and I don't see what the reticle and muzzle reference have to do with anything... you shouldn't see your muzzle in your reticle...

I'm very confused about what you are saying...

it doesn't sound like this is your first rifle though, so please clarify what you did...

1. did you boresight it at xx yards?
2. did you shoot ammo at paper at xx yards
3. what yardage did you go to next
4. I assume you are using a benchrest or sandbags?

OP are you saying the scope ran out of adjustment and you still are not on paper? If so it maybe you can try swapping the rings front to back and then try zeroing the scope again. Another option is to get the Burris Signature Zee rings with the different elevation inserts. If it is just the elevation you are off on. You can then put varying degrees of slant on the position of the scope to give added elevation as needed.

Weapon was not boresighted by me, it was done by someone else. I do not see my muzzle thru the recticle. What i am saying is that i have 2 - 2.5 inches of difference between the muzzle and the scope, which leads me to believe that the scope needs to go down to match up with the laser boresight coming out of the muzzle. I am gonna go with mancat and say that my scope mounting rings are way to high. I was in the military for 11yrs and my m4 sights were closer to the barrel/muzzle, if you know what i mean, had no trouble with adjustments on it. I only carried that m4 for 5yrs in the Army, and once they assign you a weapon its yours while your at that unit. i sighted it dead on out to 300 meters.The other 6yrs i carried a Beretta M9, plus we had 3 M60 machine guns on our helicopter, so there was not much use for a m4 when your a crewmember on a helo. I have a tripod mounted on the weapon. I'm gonna go by a rifle rest, buy some lower scope rings, level everything up and go from there. Hell i dunno what i'm doing, but am not completely stupid, its just the first time i have ever had to sight in a scoped weapon. And i really think my left eye dominance is taking over too.......................... I failed to mention that i have a laser mounted on the side, installed the boresighter and got the laser sight sighted in. But when i look thru the scope i dont see my laser dot. ............. So what do you all think ? Lower scope mounts, reboresight it, rifle rest, and something i dont have alot of Patience......lol One more quick question then i will stop confusing you all. I have a Ruger P96 .45 pistol, and i use both eyes open to shoot it. Could that be screwing me up ?? Thanks Guys ! Let me attach a pic to show you all the setup.

How far away is your target? Is it the same distance as your bore sight target? Remember clicks aren't the same at 25yds as they are at 100 yds and finally keep in mind that you have a el'cheapo scope.

Eye dominance shouldn't be a factor, nor the habit of shooting pistols with both eyes open. Have you actually shot the rifle to see where the shots actually land or are you strictly using the laser as a reference? The laser goes straight forever and the trajectory of the bullets drop, so it maybe the scope is correct and the laser is off for the 50 yard drop.

took scope off , mounted red dot sight. boresighted, now every thing lines up. Will post with results. there was a 1/2 to 5/8 difference in height. Hopefully i will at least be on the paper this time. Thanks to all replies

Tell me about it ! Sometimes a man can't afford a Swavorski, or a Leupold. I will probaly buy a decent Nikon in the near future. Good optics, good price. I've got a high end Nikon camera and a set of binos, and love em !!

Sig 522's are easy to check a sight. Pull the Take down and Pivot pins, remove the upper and pull out the Bolt. Clamp the Upper into a vice and aim it at something about 50 yards away (I do this out my garage and use the 0 on my neighbor's address). Look down the barrel and compare to what you see through the sight.

I put a Midwest Industries flip up 522 front sight and a Magpul flip up rear MBUS. Mine was one of the originals that came with no sights.

I am such an azzhat. I was adjusting my elevation wrong, its on the paper now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dead on !!
Oh well you'll have that when you try and rush thru things.......................lol

I see you ironed out your issues. I have a Sig Sauer 522 as well, only living in a restricted state it has a fixed stock (Sig Sauer R22-SCM=Sports Competition Model). I bought for "my" birthday gift 3 weeks ago. It has the Aluminum Quad Rails, Williams Peep-Hole Rear Sight and Hooded Front Sight (non-fold able & non fold-able stock) and came with 1-10 Round magazine. I now have 8 magazines (5-10 Rounders and 3-25 Rounders). Being retired from a law enforcement agency I am not restricted with the large capacity magazines. I have been to the range 3 times, sighted it in the first time and shooting outdoors at 100' with the peep hole sight I am hitting paper all the time and 70% or better I am in the black. Being new to shooting with this type of rifle, I am very pleased and know I will do better in a short time. Shooting 22's is very inexpensive and I can do it more frequently. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too. One thing for you to keep in mind..."READ INSTRUCTIONS" slowly and perform each step as indicated with whatever you add, sights, scopes, red dots, halo's etc. and you will eventually get it correct and will understand your weapon better.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top