JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings, I just purchased my second SIG, and I went with a 229 carry. From what I understand these are a bit of a unicorn. It is a 229 with a shorter barrel and slide. There are a couple resources that suggest it is the 224 slide with a 229 frame. I was wondering if anyone has one of these I would love to hear about holsters, magazines, and the like. Lastly can anyone confirm the general E-2 magazine thing. From what I gather you can put E-2 grips on any sig, can not put standard grips on an E-2, can use standard mags in a E-2 but not E-2 mags in a standard gun?

IMG_3473.jpg IMG_3472.jpg

That doesn't look like a P229 Limited Edition Carry, it looks like its a P229 Carry, which is a no-rail, G10 Gripped, full grown P229. That gun should accept any grips made for a P229. If you take the grips off and the hammer spring retaining tube is short and plastic, it will fit e2 grips (less than an inch). The hammer strut is longer and is shaped to fit in the E2 grip.

This is the shorter gun you were referencing:

E0F7EF09-58E3-4A26-B379-7547ED11DFDA.png

Notice how the slide barely extends past the dust cover and uber thin grips?

Your gun used P229-1 magazines. Its a 9mm magazine made P229 357-40 sized. It holds 15 rounds instead of 13.

Very helpful, the sigs are awesome, but staying on top of the models and generations is a full time job. My mags are marked 13 round? What mags do you think I should be shopping for? When looking at a holster should I look at the ones for the M11-A1?

All three are marked 13rd, the gun also has the short extractor, and NIB, which surprised me. I was looking around and found that there is a term the sig folks use "legacy slide"?

By the way I loaded them up and they only hold 13.

What you have is a special edition built on their "Legacy" frame and slide. Its basically a 228 frame that was being used with a stainless slide that is stringer than the original 229 slide. At one point, all 9mm 229s were like that. Then, Sig simplified the lineup and used the same frame size for 9mm as they do for 357/40. These are 229-1 frames and use 15 round magazines.

The M11A1 holster should work. Not sure if the slide dimensions are different than the 228. The 228 is lighter because the slide was stamped steel rather than milled stainless. They are shaped differently.

You have a cool gun!

I paid $725 for the gun and they gave me $350 for a well loved 220. If you are ever in Gresham OR stop by "Advanced Firearms Training" they had great line up of SIGs and SW, both used and new. they had some really interesting stuff I had never even seen before.

I have read that folks ca make them on a 3D printer. Also this craft SOB made his own

Yes. Seen talk about these on SIGTalk. Haven't seen one for sale yet that has good reviews (some use poor materials and the sleeve falls apart). Don't want to buy a 3D printer just to make one. Might use something like moldable rubber/plastic to make one for myself instead.

That is a P229 Classic Carry and those are not rare.
It uses 13 round 228 or early 229 mags. 229-1 mags won't fit but you can get 15 round mags for it.
Some have a skeleton hammer and it should have an SRT.
The grips are made by S.C.I and are unique to that gun. That one has the later grips that aren't chopped off at the rear. They follow the E2 grip pattern and I found them to be to small for me.
I see those grips for sale on E-bay for $150, I traded a set that had the chopped rear for a set of Hogues.
Hogue 229 grips will fit and are thicker front to back.
If the skinny trigger is a biter there are more than a few different triggers out there.

There is a P226 Classic Carry as well, no rail and no tail with the same kind of grips.

Lastly can anyone confirm the general E-2 magazine thing. From what I gather you can put E-2 grips on any sig, can not put standard grips on an E-2, can use standard mags in a E-2 but not E-2 mags in a standard gun?

As for mags. I get all my stuff from Greg Cote.
These are the 15 round mags for that gun. Sig Sauer P228 P229 9mm 15 RD flush fit nickel Mec-Gar MGP22815N [MGP22815N] - $23.95 : Greg Cote, LLC
They are out of stock on the blued mags.

As for grips and the E2 thing.
E2 refers to the enhanced 1 piece grip and E2 hammer strut. Which is a long strut and short spring base.
There was the old style strut assy.
Then new style strut which is a short strut and long base.
Now it's the E2 long strut and short base.
New style and E2 strut use the same spring.
Just about all grips will fit a gun with the New style or E2 strut now days.

Grips for older guns that had the old style strut will not fit the E2 strut and will have to be hogged out.
My P220 had the old style strut and I upgraded the hammer and strut assy to an E2.
The original grips won't fit but I use Hogue's so it's a non issue.
I seen a set of Pachmeyer grips for a 226 and wasn't thinking when I bought them and it was a "Duh" moment when I went to put them on.

Here's some grip difference pics on my P229 Select with an E2 hammer strut assy.
Hogue
0WooIcfl.jpg
S.C.I. Classic Carry
g8OWFNVl.jpg
S.C.I Select
KdBm5t7l.jpg

My M11-A1 had New style short strut assy and I upgraded with a Superstrut from the Sig Armorer.
E2 style but better.
zthFhmBl.jpg

As to holsters, I like Stealth gear.
RHSaZL3l.jpg
molHcpQl.jpg

As for mags. I get all my stuff from Greg Cote.
These are the 15 round mags for that gun. Sig Sauer P228 P229 9mm 15 RD flush fit nickel Mec-Gar MGP22815N [MGP22815N] - $23.95 : Greg Cote, LLC
They are out of stock on the blued mags.

As for grips and the E2 thing.
E2 refers to the enhanced 1 piece grip and E2 hammer strut. Which is a long strut and short spring base.
There was the old style strut assy.
Then new style strut which is a short strut and long base.
Now it's the E2 long strut and short base.
New style and E2 strut use the same spring.
Just about all grips will fit a gun with the New style or E2 strut now days.

Grips for older guns that had the old style strut will not fit the E2 strut and will have to be hogged out.
My P220 had the old style strut and I upgraded the hammer and strut assy to an E2.
The original grips won't fit but I use Hogue's so it's a non issue.
I seen a set of Pachmeyer grips for a 226 and wasn't thinking when I bought them and it was a "Duh" moment when I went to put them on.

Here's some grip difference pics on my P229 Select with an E2 hammer strut assy.
Hogue
View attachment 624438
S.C.I. Classic Carry
View attachment 624439
S.C.I Select
View attachment 624440

My M11-A1 had New style short strut assy and I upgraded with a Superstrut from the Sig Armorer.
E2 style but better.
View attachment 624441

As to holsters, I like Stealth gear.
View attachment 624442
View attachment 624443
Stealth gear has the P228 (M11-A1) and P229 with no rail listed, which do you think would be the best fit. Also tell me about that trigger you have on your M11-A1.

I'm pretty sure the 229 no rail is for the Legacy slide 9mm.
I have a legacy .40 slide and it fits in either holster. I would verify with them though.

The trigger is a Grayguns EDC trigger kit. Grayguns EDC Enhanced Daily Carry Trigger Kit - Sig Sauer P Series - Top Gun Supply

Grayguns has just a straight trigger as well that's a bit cheaper but the EDC kit is pretty freaking amazing and worth every penny IMHO.
I had an Armory Craft trigger in it but it's in the Select now. I had a Grayguns curved adjustable trigger in the Select but don't like it.

I like the EDC trigger though.
fSF8VICl.jpg

It was the second one, I put one in my Legion first and had to get another one.
6waEIzdl.jpg

Armory Craft hammers in the 229's and 226

With a 20# mainspring the M11-A1 comes in at just over 6lbs DA and about 3.5 SA
The 226 is about the same with a 19# spring.

I picked up a nearly nib 229r recently for cheap, 450. It's a dao.Have the parts coming to change it to da/sa, $80 from mgw. It replaces one i sold a while back. I prefer the 40 s&w, you get used to it. I bought somo 9mm 10 round mags in error, loaded 40 in them just to see, oddly they fed just fine but could only hold 8 rounds. Sent them back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top