JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I was out shopping around for my first handgun purchase for this state, and a lone Sig caught my eye, it was a 2022 9mm...and I impulse bought it.

Now after looking online I hear lots of good things about it, which is awesome, because I've never owned or shot a Sig in my life. The problem arises that there seems to be hardly any aftermarket support for this firearm. A couple of extended mags and that pretty much sums it up.

I would like to hear from other owners out there what their experiences were/are with the pistol. Also any modifications I don't know about would be nice, now due to this states laws I won't be taking possession of this fine piece of equipment until sometime...next week? Maybe?

Welcome to NWFA, WA, and Sig ownership.

I wouldn't bother modifying the 2022. I have a few... 9mm and 357 Sig.... both are excellent. Only complaint I have ever heard about is the "false" reset. You can get a reset like click in the trigger before the full reset. I don't shoot to reset so it isn't a problem for me. Some people online have suggested a Galloway trigger mod, but I wouldn't bother: SP2022 SP2340 Performance Parts :: Sig Sauer® Performance :: Galloway Precision

Save your mod $$$ for the next Sig. Like the P229.

The 2022 kind of fits in 229 holsters depending on how tight they are. My kydex holsters for 229 support the 2022 but the leather 229 holster doesn't fit.

I have one in 40 cal. It came with night sights and 2 magazines. It's just a basic work horse. It shoots every bit as good as my Sig P229 in 40 cal. Actually better since the sights don't follow Sigs combat sight picture. With the 2022 you just lollypop what ever you want to shoot and you're good.

That is good news about the holsters, that does expand some options. Kinda sad about mods, I learned on the 1911 platform and love to tinker with stuff...all the more reason to buy more guns then :D!

That is good news about the sight picture, reading online I hear constantly about the POA on the Sig, I've also hear that you can change the font sight to also fix this issue...and that you have to take it in to a smith to do so.

The only pistol anywhere near 1911 in aftermarket support and tunability is the Glock.

The Sig is better left untouched, mechanically speaking. In its untouched state it'll be reliable as all get out. I can't vouch for how good it will be with an upgraded trigger.

One other thing comes to mind and it is a nitpick, the decocking lever snaps back with force. Enough force that it'll pinch like a motherbubblegumer if you use the side of your thumb close to your nail when pressing it down. Use the pad of your thumb to press down the decocker.

P229s don't do this. There is some sort of catch that the hammer spring falls on when the decocker depressed on the metallic frame P series pistols. The SP doesnt have that catch and the entire might of the hammer spring makes the decocking lever pop up with a bubblegum load of force.

MrRob, thanks for the advice! as that is some that could only come from someone who has obviously done that very thing.

I have plans to use this pistol to shoot some competitions (not that I'm good enough for any upgrades to actually help at all) and like I said I love tinkering. Anyways from what I gather should be a good reliable gun to get into shooting sports/bedside and that's the plan.

Finally!!! After 16 calendar days I was able to take home my Sig!

Took her to the range, and she shoots good enough for my skill level. Trigger felt smooth on the double and crisp on single...kinda a lot of take up on the single action, but for a duty gun more than good enough.

I tell you it's a dang sickness I've already been eyeballing the 365xl and I haven't owned this for longer than a few hours!

8EF1EB8F-55ED-48C3-A9CA-A82F3CB623AB.jpeg

Thank you! I do like the stainless slide which suits the environment it will be in quite well. I haven't even seen any 2022's in real life before this one.

Yeah I had to wait the full amount of time, not unusual for my situation as anytime I go through a BGC it always takes much longer than most (last one for a job took nearly three months to clear)

ETA: I bought the pistol three saturdays ago the 27th of July hence the 16 calendar days

I have a 2022 in 9mm. I bought it early in my SIGness, before I started buying SIGs in .40 instead and getting a 9mm conversion barrel.

It is ok. Definitely lighter and different balance, especially empty. The recoil is different due to the polymer frame - not unlike other polymer guns. The trigger is not as good as my other DA/SA SIGs IMO - I have read that the parts are a little different.

All in all, I won't be buying any more polymer SIGs, DA/SA or not. Not that it is bad, certainly better than striker fired guns IMO, just not as good as the metal framed SIGs. If I wanted a less expensive SIG like DA/SA gun, I might buy a CZ instead.

YMMV - all of my dislikes about the gun are mostly personal taste and subjective.

I definitely agree with you about a metal frame preference in a general aspect, as they do soak up quite a bit of felt recoil especially with the snappy .40. I did get a chance to rent a 226 navy and it shot fantastic with excellent feel and heft.

As far as the trigger goes yeah it's not perfect the take up on SA is a bit excessive, as is the over travel. fourtunatly I don't have the false reset that was a major complaint on these. Coming from a 1911 background it is hard for me to judge triggers fairly as very few are going to stack up. But for what it is as a duty gun I think of it as adequate and definitely much better than anything else in its price range (that I know of at least)

I will say this in the defense of a striker fire gun, I shot a 365xl just the other day and it has hands down one of the best striker triggers I have ever felt!

Never had a chance to shoot a CZ or variant always thought about it, I'll give one a go next time around at the gun counter

The P2xx pistols are superior, but it's an incremental improvement over the 2022s. There are diminishing returns for all that extra sunk cash.

You get 90% of the way to amazing with the SP2022 at ~$450-500. The P2xx gets you to 95% with ~$1000+. Maybe some whizz bang SA/DA Korth gets you to 99% for ~$10k.

I'll stay at 95% personally. There's nothing wrong with 90% guns and you get twice as many of them. For people stashing them here and there, that makes a lot of sense.

The P2xx pistols are superior, but it's an incremental improvement over the 2022s. There are diminishing returns for all that extra sunk cash.

You get 90% of the way to amazing with the SP2022 at ~$450-500. The P2xx gets you to 95% with ~$1000+. Maybe some whizz bang SA/DA Korth gets you to 99% for ~$10k.

I'll stay at 95% personally. There's nothing wrong with 90% guns and you get twice as many of them. For people stashing them here and there, that makes a lot of sense.

I have bought slightly used and ANIB metal framed SIGs for well under $1K. IIRC I paid about $450-500 for several of them. That was after I bought a slightly used 2022 for about $450 (including FFL fees) because I thought it would make a good stash gun (it would) but even the very well used older 226 I bought for the same amount feels better to shoot.

A slightly used 226/229 for about $500-$600, then sent off to be Burked is probably good enough for most people. It will be for me.

But yes, if you must buy new, then the 2022 is a good deal, but there are new 226/229s out there for well under $1K unless you want an Elite or Legion.

I have one in 40 cal. It came with night sights and 2 magazines. It's just a basic work horse. It shoots every bit as good as my Sig P229 in 40 cal. Actually better since the sights don't follow Sigs combat sight picture. With the 2022 you just lollypop what ever you want to shoot and you're good.
Would your 229 barrel fit and function in the 2022?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top