Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

sig 1911 yay or nay

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by filsonhand, Jul 17, 2013.

1. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

So I am in the market for a 1911 or similar 45 strickly as a shooter.I like the looks of the SIG 1911's especially the tac ops but am curious how reliable they are,I know they have an external extractor and seems those are not a big selling point. Just curious if any one has one and what they think of it. thanks. :fishing:

2. NavyBob

NavyBob michigan Active Member

I own 4 of them and love'em. They are very reliable and out of the 4, not one hd a single problem with FTF's and shoot straight. Mine are stainless, bu the Nitron finish is strong.

Very hard to beat them.

3. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

traded my TacOps for the Nightmare, but it was very reliable.

4. Matt15

Matt15 Maple valley Member

I have the tacpac, no complaints and no malfunctions.

5. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

I have Glocks, Walthers, Rugers, Kimbers, Smiths and my Sig Tac Ops is simply my favorite handgun hands down. Not the lightest but oh so sweet!

6. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I appreciate the feedback everyone

7. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

+1 for Tac Ops!

8. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

I've had three Sig 1911s and still have two, a C3 and a special edition Ultra Compact. All the Sig 1911s come with their march grade internals. Reliability is exceptional as is accuracy. The Sigs are also priced hundreds below their equivalent Kimber and Springfield counterparts but are in many ways superior. Customer service is the best around, as well. Hard to go wrong.

9. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

I loved my Sig tradition reverse two tone model...

Weegi.jpg

c93Pr.jpg

3Qk7O.jpg

As with most 1911s the factory mags were kind of a crapshoot, but mine were good to go. Dang I miss that pistol...

Also, to be quite frank, the external extractor in my eyes is an upgrade over the internal extractors you see on traditional 1911s. There is no tuning of the extractor and it is a user serviceable part. I know someone is going to jump all over me about internal extractors being serviceable with the right knowledge, but it takes experience and skill to fit and tune an internal extractor. With an external extractor it's practically as easy to swap out as it is on a Glock.

10. SynapticSilence

Sig makes their better known 1911s, which have a slightly different slide profile, but they also make a traditional line of 1911s with the conventional 1911 profile. Just FYI. They have the lines split out so you can look at each of them at SIG SAUER .

11. SynapticSilence

I agree re the external extractor. Sig's extractors are way overbuilt and totally reliable. As for the 1911's design, don't forget Mr. Browning's next design was the Hi Power, which coincidentally has an external extractor.

12. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

I love my TacOps, never malfunctions.

13. Barachiah

Barachiah Eastern Oregon at last Active Member

Never owned one, but a friend has one that I've shot a bunch. Won't fit in some holsters if it is the non-traditional profile, but they shoot amazing. It had a Nowlin air gauged barrel from the factory, was incredibly reliable and a tac driver right out of the box. I'll own one someday, if I can stop buying all the other crap I buy.

14. 45 Sig

45 Sig North Seattle Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Own several Sig's and Colt's. Sig's out of the box shoot like my Colt 70 and 80 Series that have gone through several hours of polishing, upgrades and fine tuning. Very reliable and built tough. My nightstand gun is a Stainless Rail Sig 1911 with standard features similar to a Railed Stainless Colt, only $200+ less. My range guns will always be my Colt's. I throw away all the stock Sig mags and replace them with Wilson Combat ETM 8 rounder's for reliability.

15. phidelt208

phidelt208 Springfield, OR Active Member

Just some quick down sides to the Sigs.
    FIRST let me say they are small things, and I really like my Scorpion and I've got 7 to 8000 rounds through mine.
    -the trigger groves where the trigger bow rides was REALLY rough in mine and required sanding to have a smooth trigger.
    -the external extractor is right, in the middle of the rear serrations, which makes them less use full (Less traction)
    -SOME sigs have above the extractor is a sharp edge which can (however unlikely) catch on your hand, holster or clothing.

Just somethings to keep in mind. I didn't notice them till I started using my pistol.

extractors.jpg

16. redhippie

redhippie People's republic of PDX Active Member

For the money, Sig P227

17. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

you might want to check the 1911 forums as well. I remember seeing a few posts about the sig 1911s there.

18. Norwestr55

Norwestr55 Monmouth OR Deplorable Silver Supporter

My STX is the most accurate outta the box 1911 I've owned. Its my 1st Sig and def won't be the last. JM Browning was a fan of external extractors as he thought they were more reliable.
    Yep 1911 forums has a sub-category for Sigs.

20130214_stx_zps71341697.jpg