JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reloading is such a rewarding experience for me, the thrill of the chase in trying to produce the most accurate ammunition possible and the fun of being on the range testing makes for a great day. I now have been reloading 300 Blackout for some time and have documented my loads and experiences in this journal.

Wanting to try some of the heavier subsonic bullets like the 220gr Sierra Pro Hunter, Missouri Bullet Company 245gr Lead Bullet and the 203gr Palmetto Lead Coated bullet all in an effort to drive down cost I ordered small amount of each. Immediately I noticed the lead bullets would shave no matter how straight you had them aligned. Leaning on my experience of having loaded tens of thousands of lead 45ACP and 44Magnum rounds I knew right away I needed to flair the neck of the 300 blackout case. I purchased a universal Lee Expander rifle die, I have a lot of Lee dies and they have served me very well. This particular die just wasn't what I was looking for it only really flared the mouth. To keep the lead bullets from shaving I felt the expansion of the mouth of the case was extreme with the Lee Die, though I am sure it would work great on other calibers. A friend of mine who has a lot of reloading experience about 25years of it, 6 years more time behind a press than I do recommended the Lyman M Die.
DSC01441.jpg
This would be exactly what I was looking for, the Lyman M Dies expands the case mouth and the neck of the case in two stages. Please be sure to pay attention to item number on the box in the photo it is important that you get exactly this model. There is another model which won't work as well due to overall length. With the use of this die all of my troubles would go away. A great side effect I have noticed is that my rounds all seem to be more accurate as well. So I have changed my reloading routine to include expanding the neck of all my rounds including jacketed.

Being very interested in the Sierra Pro Hunter or as I would name it "The Hammer of Thor" I would load up some of these rounds with my favorite 300Blackout Subsonic powder A1680. Rounds are checked with the Sheridan Slotted Gauge to ensure fit in the rifles I test with. This powder produces great subsonic groups with 220gr Sierra Match King, this load would not prove to be as accurate.
DSC01443.jpg
DSC01435.jpg
IMG_2093.jpg
Though not as accurate as I would have liked I decided to press this round into my first 200 yard test with my Ruger American Ranch Rifle.
DSC01380.jpg
DSC01381.jpg

See the full article and results of my 200 yard testing. Leave a comment on the page and let me know what you think acceptable 200 yard groups are for 300Blackout. http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=5006

One of the largest independent 300blackout load tests - 65 loads tested across 4 rifles
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3817

Afraid? Do explain.

A bit of humor that's all.

The 300 is just soooo much bullet for that case it's like an instrument of torture. (Considering it's typical to see 55-75gr in that case).

I applaud your attention to detail. :s0152:

I get similar 50 yard groups with the 220 Sierra Pro Hunter and 208 Amax. I've only checked the Amax loads to 150 yards, but the 10 shot group was under 4". This was using a 8" pistol with a 1x vortex spitfire and AAC SDN-6.
The additional drop from 150 to 200 yards is about 30 inches, and I didn't have good enough sight picture with the red dot to shoot for groups that far. Getting old, I guess.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top