JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
38-55 is a great cartridge and still available factory new
I agree - never owned a rifle in the caliber but always thought it would be great in a Sharps or High Wall.
Just thinking a 30-30 MIGHT have been a better idea due to more 'popularity' of the round.

Last Edited:
Let's be honest, Henry's are poor quality and dupe people with the "Made in America" nonsense. Anyone familiar with lever guns will tell you the Winchester's, Brownings, and Italian copies are superior. You are free to like anything you want, but that doesn't mean it's better, the historical track record, and the fact that you rarely see Henry's in competition speaks volumes. My .02

Henry's are poor quality
I will agree on this as of more recently with what what seems to be an effort by Henry to throw out more rifles in a shorter period of time than nearly any manufacturer in history.

It is my opinion they are concentrating on 'special interest' and the 'collectible' market more than actual 'shooting' rifles - but I hardly see Henry's as collectible.
Some of their rifles are downright hideous with the 'American Eagle' version being about the worst - the 'Eagle' on the stock looks like a hungover pigeon rather than the noble 'Eagle' image we are used to.

I'll be the first to admit Winchester made some pretty gaudy commemorative rifles in the mid to late '60s but nothing like what Henry has.

With all due respect however My BBB .357 (2013 DOM) is excellent - wood to metal finish is on par with high grade guns and the action and accuracy is excellent.

I do however believe their stepped up production and the wide variety of models they are producing will NOT be a long term undertaking IMHO - with a potential uncertain future.

The American Eagle:
HENRY.jpg

Last Edited:
I had a gate loading .22 once and it'd bend all the bullets when you loaded it.

Not really, lol. I do prefer the drop in loading actions over the thumb pinching kind though.

I had a gate loading .22 once and it'd bend all the bullets when you loaded it.

Not really, lol. I do prefer the drop in loading actions over the thumb pinching kind though.

My first gun ever was a Browning BL-22 Grade II lever action that had the loading tube. I didn't mind it. Never shot myself unloading it or anything.

My first gun ever was a Browning BL-22 Grade II lever action that had the loading tube. I didn't mind it. Never shot myself unloading it or anything.
Mine was a marlin model 60. Never got into speedloaders for it but did occasionally load like 25 in the tube with the charger not home and shoot it uphill until you could seat the charger.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top