JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have just a couple comments, for what it's worth. I'm not a prepper, other than maybe a few extra groceries in the pantry, but I was exposed to all this same stuff as a kid. Yes, it was pretty much the same thirty or forty years ago.

Being convinced that "We're all going to die" stunted me as a young person. If your kids grow up expecting UN troops to round them up for concentration camps, they might stop making plans for a normal life. Please don't do that to them. "What if" plans are all well and good, just remember to include "what if it doesn't happen".

As to being welcomed by others during these end-of-the-world scenarios, I'm reminded of a conversation I listened to at a gun show some years ago, that made me sick.

One of the vendors with tables next to a friend I was helping was talking about his SHTF plans. He had his out of town property, and his barb-wire perimeter.
He mentioned how the "first to go" would be the infirm and those who rely on prescription medication. "Oh well" he said, "Good riddance".
As the father of a child who relies on expensive, perishable prescription medication, I had a hard time holding my tongue. He made other comments about getting in shape and working out to be able to bug out, hike for miles and live off the land, and those unwilling to do that deserve to die. In my family that's a physical impossibility, so I guess we deserve what we get, in his world.

Then he went on to talk about defending his perimeter with gunfire, how the bodies would pile up at the fence, bodies of neighbors too lazy to prepare on their own.

It made me sick to listen to. I want absolutely nothing to do with people who have that kind of mindset.

It's worth keeping in mind, if you do your end-of-the-world planning, that some of the folks you may see as "good guys" are more dangerous than the bad guys. They might share your interest in planning for survival, but they also might just be selfish morons willing to shoot your kids if they were starving and looking for help.

my mid-50s grade school years included regular 'duck & cover' as well as 'don't look at the fireball that will melt your eye sockets' type training;
the interminable fire drills and 60s era regular replacement activities of what to do in a group until the nice firemen get there, etc'.

Then a whole series of bunker-awareness Civil Defense exercises, and how to avoid the blast shadow if you have to walk home lectures. The actual days-in--the-class-room with serious teachers trying to explain where Cuba was & how the evil Rooosians were going to once again melt my eyesockets, continued the infusion of anxious anticipation.

More fruitless planning and Civil Defense drills didn't relieve the basic questions.

The social unrest and class tumult of the 60s civil rights era made any excess annoying behavior my class mates might have seem mild by comparison. I had visited Berkley when a riot arose. Moving to avoid actual tear gas in the street I was shocked to walk around a corner to discover a sandbagged position with a MaDeuce pointed at my chest.
That was a sudden reality not covered in my classroom drills.

The series of political executions of the era confirmed the FBI/CIA/etc warnings we could never ignore being ready for some form of catastrophe. The hint of camps and madness of an ever-changing catalog of either/any/both extremes of law-gone-wrong and the rise of opposition to traditional patriotic groups befuddled and confused.

Today's worries ain't nothing new.:cool:

I have just a couple comments, for what it's worth. I'm not a prepper, other than maybe a few extra groceries in the pantry, but I was exposed to all this same stuff as a kid. Yes, it was pretty much the same thirty or forty years ago.

Being convinced that "We're all going to die" stunted me as a young person. If your kids grow up expecting UN troops to round them up for concentration camps, they might stop making plans for a normal life. Please don't do that to them. "What if" plans are all well and good, just remember to include "what if it doesn't happen".

As to being welcomed by others during these end-of-the-world scenarios, I'm reminded of a conversation I listened to at a gun show some years ago, that made me sick.

One of the vendors with tables next to a friend I was helping was talking about his SHTF plans. He had his out of town property, and his barb-wire perimeter.
He mentioned how the "first to go" would be the infirm and those who rely on prescription medication. "Oh well" he said, "Good riddance".
As the father of a child who relies on expensive, perishable prescription medication, I had a hard time holding my tongue. He made other comments about getting in shape and working out to be able to bug out, hike for miles and live off the land, and those unwilling to do that deserve to die. In my family that's a physical impossibility, so I guess we deserve what we get, in his world.

Then he went on to talk about defending his perimeter with gunfire, how the bodies would pile up at the fence, bodies of neighbors too lazy to prepare on their own.

It made me sick to listen to. I want absolutely nothing to do with people who have that kind of mindset.

It's worth keeping in mind, if you do your end-of-the-world planning, that some of the folks you may see as "good guys" are more dangerous than the bad guys. They might share your interest in planning for survival, but they also might just be selfish morons willing to shoot your kids if they were starving and looking for help.

Yes. Enjoy life. And have preparations so you can better do that.

We as Americans have developed a great system.
As long as we all keep dreaming the same dream? Things will be fine.

But when something wakes us from that common dream. And makes it impossible to continue dreaming?

Then just as an animal dose.
You better be up for a fight. Able to fight. An always looking for a way out of a fight.

You think the guy at the Gun Show hurt your sensibilities?
That's nothing compared to the certain cruelty nature exacts.

She's always been a B-tch that's trying to kill us and our family.
You and I have just been able to ignore her for the most part so far.

Now back to sleep...……….

Last Edited:
You think the guy at the Gun Show hurt your sensibilities?

More than hurt sensibilities, he simply made me realize that sometimes people you might think are "on your side" are actually on nobody's side but their own, and would actually be dangerous to be around in a crisis.

When I was in 1-4th grade, we lived in Cody Wyoming. I remember getting upset and crying one day because while cleaning the kitchen, the radio was talking about the .gov storing MX missiles in the state. I was scared to death that we were going to get nuked and my parents were going to die.
As a family, we weren't prepper minded, but we did have about a year's worth of food in the basement. Buckets of wheat, honey, c-rats, etc.
Make time to spend time with your kids doing fun things that will build confidence and make them not only self sufficient but capable of helping others in a crisis.
Prepare ahead of time for situations based on the frequency/probability of happening, and within your budget (buy a first aid kit and fire extinguisher before building your underground bunker/man cave).

my mid-50s grade school years included regular 'duck & cover' as well as 'don't look at the fireball that will melt your eye sockets' type training;
the interminable fire drills and 60s era regular replacement activities of what to do in a group until the nice firemen get there, etc'.

Then a whole series of bunker-awareness Civil Defense exercises, and how to avoid the blast shadow if you have to walk home lectures. The actual days-in--the-class-room with serious teachers trying to explain where Cuba was & how the evil Rooosians were going to once again melt my eyesockets, continued the infusion of anxious anticipation.

More fruitless planning and Civil Defense drills didn't relieve the basic questions.

The social unrest and class tumult of the 60s civil rights era made any excess annoying behavior my class mates might have seem mild by comparison. I had visited Berkley when a riot arose. Moving to avoid actual tear gas in the street I was shocked to walk around a corner to discover a sandbagged position with a MaDeuce pointed at my chest.
That was a sudden reality not covered in my classroom drills.

The series of political executions of the era confirmed the FBI/CIA/etc warnings we could never ignore being ready for some form of catastrophe. The hint of camps and madness of an ever-changing catalog of either/any/both extremes of law-gone-wrong and the rise of opposition to traditional patriotic groups befuddled and confused.

Today's worries ain't nothing new.:cool:

When I was in 1-4th grade, we lived in Cody Wyoming. I remember getting upset and crying one day because while cleaning the kitchen, the radio was talking about the .gov storing MX missiles in the state. I was scared to death that we were going to get nuked and my parents were going to die.
As a family, we weren't prepper minded, but we did have about a year's worth of food in the basement. Buckets of wheat, honey, c-rats, etc.
Make time to spend time with your kids doing fun things that will build confidence and make them not only self sufficient but capable of helping others in a crisis.
Prepare ahead of time for situations based on the frequency/probability of happening, and within your budget (buy a first aid kit and fire extinguisher before building your underground bunker/man cave).
I remember at one "duck and cover" exercise at school the teacher had us ducking and covering against a brick wall. I knew there was no 6 feet of dirt on the other side of the wall and pointed this out, asking if we were in the right place. One of the other kids started crying. Teacher told me to shut up.

We really did consider nuclear attack a real possibility. Fallout shelters were clearly marked and we knew where they were. Some folks we knew had their own shelters under their houses. Air raid sirens were tested regularly. Oh, and the Duck and Cover ad was on the TV. Anybody remember the song?

More than hurt sensibilities, he simply made me realize that sometimes people you might think are "on your side" are actually on nobody's side but their own, and would actually be dangerous to be around in a crisis.

Then there are multitudes of those reasonable & sensible folks.

Home insurance, car insurance, health insurance, retirement planning, cash on hand for rainy days. Extra food and water on hand for same. Plus simply stocking up on anything you and yours normally consume can be quite the savings in and of itself, if done well.

Far far fewer preparedness minded folks are of the zombie horde/shoot anything that moves ilk. Most are just the more self reliant leaning, enjoying the true freedoms with which that entails. IMO.

I would venture to say that 100% of people are out solely for themselves/their family.
I would absolutely rather save somebody than not, but if saving that person puts my wife/children in harm's way? Not gonna happen.
I don't mean this to sound cold, but I don't know those people at the fence, and im.not willing to let them in my home, near my family, for a meet and greet. That doesn't mean I'm going to murder everyone I see, but that does mean some of them will likely die.

I would love it if everyone could live to the ripe old age of 95. But that's not how it works for us.

I think some of you might be misunderstanding me. I understand taking care of your own and putting your family first. I can't disagree with that. I just don't personally care for the what-if games. I think a lot of that stuff is fantasy land. What set me off those years ago was some bubblegum idiot bragging about how the weak and dependent will die first but good riddance, and bodies piling at his perimeter. That's sick stuff, in my opinion. Fantasy land, someone who never grew up, and sits around daydreaming about SHTF and how he's going to be king of the hill and everyone will be jealous and want his stuff. He'll probably slay the dragon and get the girl too...

As to whether you'll shoot your neighbors kids when they come around trying to take some food because they're starving... I don't play those games. But then again I'm not a true prepper. At least not that kind for sure. My family and I will be gone for sure, because we aren't all young, strong, healthy, and ready to kill anyone, and survive everything that comes along, just like in the movies... :)

Then there are multitudes of those reasonable & sensible folks.

Home insurance, car insurance, health insurance, retirement planning, cash on hand for rainy days. Extra food and water on hand for same. Plus simply stocking up on anything you and yours normally consume can be quite the savings in and of itself, if done well.

Far far fewer preparedness minded folks are of the zombie horde/shoot anything that moves ilk. Most are just the more self reliant leaning, enjoying the true freedoms with which that entails. IMO.

This sounds like much more my kind of people, a different kind of "prepping". Getting out of debt, having some extra food, water, and basic survival supplies on hand; getting involved with family, friends, community, learn some basic survival skills. It's good to have friends in the community in law enforcement and emergency response. Help others in your community and you're more likely to have help when you need it. These are things that will be important in most emergency events, and will serve you well even if nothing ever happens.

I apologize if I've offended anyone. I don't mean to. Prepping really isn't my expertise and I probably have a rather unique perspective, having been down this road a little in decades past and watched a lot of other people do a lot of weird stuff over the years. There seems to be a strong fantasy element to prepping. If you're a prepper, make sure you let reality guide you more than fantasy.

Last Edited:
I agree with the fantasy aspect. People who want to "stack bodies" have either never been around the dead, or should not be allowed to own guns. There is no shame in killing for the right reasons, but there is absolutely shame in lusting for death, regardless your reasons.

...I apologize if I've offended anyone. I don't mean to. Prepping really isn't my expertise and I probably have a rather unique perspective, having been down this road a little in decades past and watched a lot of other people do a lot of weird stuff over the years. There seems to be a strong fantasy element to prepping. If you're a prepper, make sure you let reality guide you more than fantasy.

Oh, no offense taken.

*Some* preparedness minded folk take there opinions, leanings and thought processes to the extreme, far far more do not.

Sadly those extreme folks get highlighted and their tales told, either word of mouth, or worse case Main Streem Media. Which then unfortunately gets spun into the old "all of "THEM" are like that", so don't be like "THEM".

Self sufficiency and self reliance then gets twisted into a "bad thing", when there is untold amount of good in being so. Doesn't fit into any agenda.

Kinda reminds me of the old adage when we backpack-"Hike your own hike...". Matters not what anyone else decides to carry, and for darn sure we aren't worried about others thoughts on what we are haulin'.

Holds true in everyday life as well.

I've actually known two different people who have gone to prison over weird prepper-related stuff.

One guy was a friend of a good friend. I met the guy once and afterwards told my friend he might want to stay away from that guy because he was going to get himself into trouble because he had a screw loose. He eventually ended up in prison for hinky gun stuff. Another acquaintance did the whole freeman-no tax thing and ended up in prison. We all saw that coming a long way off. Another acquaintance had a secret cabin way out in the boonies with booby traps and everything. I'm glad I never heard about that one until it was ancient history, because the booby traps alone would have been jail time.

I've never been a prepper, but have been around enough friends and acquaintances that have gone down that road at one time or another that I've seen or heard some weird stuff. I just shake my head and keep my distance. I have no problem with reasonable prepping, just be careful to not get too caught up in the extreme.

So... I've been informing myself about all the new gun laws that are going to pass. It might sound paranoid but... Is there a place everyone meets up at with their families when shtf?

Like in the movie "Defiance" with daniel craig? Any prepper camps i could get to with my family when the civil war starts? I would like to be hanging around people with lots of NFA items and such in case of emergency.

Please don't laugh, this is a serious question and my kids are freaking out too thinking they will take us away to a KZ.

This is a good question. Keep in mind the liberals are passing unconstitutional laws, betting on the local government to enforce them.

ArticleVI aka (Supremacy Clause) within the US Constitution reminds us that the rights within the constitution are "Supreme Law of the Land" and that anyone "Not in Good Standing" with the US Constitution from the President, Supreme Courts, State Constitutions, Inferior Courts, all the way down to Locales are to be de-funded and removed from office. (ANYONE: President all the way to locale Judges, and Local Enforcement and Regulators). Anyone who has sworn and anyone under the jurisdiction of the United States of America.

All we need to do is demand Article VI is enforced. It would be best to start with President Trump, and work our way down to local reps. If you read the US Constitution, you can see the courts violating the right to bear arms are null and void. The "elite" has been stretching the courts to their needs for many decades since the nation was founded really. What makes the 21st Century different? Simply we have access to information and knowledge, and we know our constitutional rights. All we have to do is demand adherence to ArticleVI. But doing so means getting off the couch and at least sending emails and letters to our reps.

The Second Amendment guarantees the right to form a regulated militia and the right to bear arms period. So joining your local militia/or starting one, is your constitutional right, and like all rights we should exercise them or we will lose them... Let us know which militia you think is the best option in your area?

My favorite part is how all the fkn bridges will be intact for everyone to get to their cabins. And how WASHINGTON ABLEFORT is your best group option with recommendation.

This is a good question. Keep in mind the liberals are passing unconstitutional laws, betting on the local government to enforce them.

ArticleVI aka (Supremacy Clause) within the US Constitution reminds us that the rights within the constitution are "Supreme Law of the Land" and that anyone "Not in Good Standing" with the US Constitution from the President, Supreme Courts, State Constitutions, Inferior Courts, all the way down to Locales are to be de-funded and removed from office. (ANYONE: President all the way to locale Judges, and Local Enforcement and Regulators). Anyone who has sworn and anyone under the jurisdiction of the United States of America.

All we need to do is demand Article VI is enforced. It would be best to start with President Trump, and work our way down to local reps. If you read the US Constitution, you can see the courts violating the right to bear arms are null and void. The "elite" has been stretching the courts to their needs for many decades since the nation was founded really. What makes the 21st Century different? Simply we have access to information and knowledge, and we know our constitutional rights. All we have to do is demand adherence to ArticleVI. But doing so means getting off the couch and at least sending emails and letters to our reps.

The Second Amendment guarantees the right to form a regulated militia and the right to bear arms period. So joining your local militia/or starting one, is your constitutional right, and like all rights we should exercise them or we will lose them... Let us know which militia you think is the best option in your area?

Oof.

tenor.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews