JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1980 Toyota, locked front and rear, dual cases to climb anything, new efi engine with better fuel economy, built to take abuse and will run forever.

On Board air, full of tools, easy to work on and plenty of storage.

View attachment 32714

I agree

IMG_8024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, since people are posting about massive armored trucks as SHTF rig, what are your opinions for a good rig?

My personal choice is a 1988 Subaru GL wagon. I call it "rusty-ru". It cost me $300, runs like a champ, gets 28 MPG and has 4wd not AWD. The engine is a 1.8L and has been known to last over 500k miles.

My thoughts are that fuel economy, ease of maintenance and part availability trump the ability of a truck to haul large quantities of supplies, more people etc. I have modified the front end with a push bar, and am in the process of upgrading the tires. I am planning on building a still to produce ethanol, which would mean that as long as I have access to cellulose I will have fuel.

Thoughts?

Be sure to get yourself an alcohol carburetor. IT's a whole different animal than a gas carb.

The only thing that really makes sense here is a horse to ride and mules for pack animals. Roads will be useless almost immediately, so any vehicle short of an M1 tank isn't going anywhere.

Great Thread!

So my BOV is a 1987 F250 4x4 yes it gets horrible mileage.. but the power is amazing.. and in a SHTF situation I may not be leaving town with everyone else.. The reality is that I think you will have a VERY small amount of time that you can bug out in a vehicle before all chaos breaks out.. so your option is to hunker down and wait it out... or to get out at that "right" time.. Now I really like the idea of having bikes as a backup. When thinking about Bike bug out.. make sure you have tires, and a way to carry your weapon and your backup.. Have front and rear saddle bags and a trailer.. consider a child trailer if you have kids.. or want to carry additional gear.. child trailers also could easily carry a 15 gallon water tank.. Make sure to have a good pump and a backup.. and of course.. know how to maintain your bike.. basic bike maintenance is a easy to learn heck on youtube.. or if you live in Portland many shops have great books on it.. Stock extra parts and be careful..

On EMP and BOV I have a extra computer, coil, fuses etc.. for the truck which are buried 3ft down and in lead copper lead box.. (not too expensive and homemade) .. (i know I'm excessive) I also have a descent amount of fuel stored.. AND I have taken a all plastic hand operated pump designed for water and attached a thread on the bottom so I can add a 12 ft PVC pipe to it.. Which should reach into most station tanks.. (I'm sure and agreement can be made.. :eek:) )

Having a cool 4x4 BOV is great.. but I think a Minivan or SUV with tinted windows and a well thought out gear layout could also be a good idea.. Except for the EMP thing.. its better to not draw attention to yourself..

Either way.. Im workin on it :)

Thank for the thread..
-Joshua

Joshua,

How are you storing fuel? Gas goes bad fairly.quickly... That is why I am planning on converting to.ethanol made by me. I thought about converting to propane, but longterm its hard to.produce and startup in cold weather is difficult.

I think the rock crawler guys have the right idea. IMHO the SHTF event for this area will be "the big one" earthquake. I won't be able to drive more that 3/4 of a mile in any direction without coming to some sort of bridge. The Rock crawlers would have the best chance at fording these obstacles.

Don't put much faith in (or worry about) the EMP thing. My MacBook may not work but the F-350 will be fine.

Joshua,

How are you storing fuel? Gas goes bad fairly.quickly... That is why I am planning on converting to.ethanol made by me. I thought about converting to propane, but longterm its hard to.produce and startup in cold weather is difficult.

I have been using this product.. <broken link removed> in combination with rotation.. And I am not keeping a obscene amount about 40 gallons.. every six months or so I fill up the truck with a can or two... Take them to the station and refill them.. I use a dry erase marker to date the can..

I really like the idea of making your own ethanol.. I am also VERY into the idea of building a gasifier ( Build A Gasifier - Gasifier Home ) And run the truck on wood.. But honestly the only think i dont like about the gasifier is how much room in the back of the truck they take up.. i am trying to come up with a more efficient design to try..

-Joshua

Joshua,

I'm not joshua, but I store enough for two full tanks of my gas guzzler, I use stabil (some other product are better) but I use a double dose, and for a 5 gallon can I also put in about 4 -6 ounces of 91% isopropyl aclohol to absorb moisture. I rotate mine ever October/November, I pour two cans in the truck and fill them up next time I need fuel, my truck is a 09 gmc, 5.3 iron block no problems with any sensors or performance, I use to do the same for a boat in winter storage never a problem.

A nephew who works for marathon refinery talked to an engineer there about my method, he said it is sound to me, keep doing it.

For fuel storage a good dose of stabil is good. As for
water from the ethanol check out h2out. It's designed
for marine use but it's a desiccant that goes in the vent
line of your fuel tank. It absorbs water as temp change
recycles the air in your tank. Also the desiccant can be
dried and reused. Just a thought.

Honestly, unless you have huge tires im talking like 48"+ there are alot of areas your not going to get through even with lockers and such. And dont even get me started on parts breakage lol ( im a wheeler too ). Like the previous posters said in that kind of scenario it would probably be smarter to just wait it out and only travel when you have to. If your trying to get over the mountians what is the difference between here and there aside from the major cities? Also if your headed there so is everyone else.

Matt

The only thing that really makes sense here is a horse to ride and mules for pack animals. Roads will be useless almost immediately, so any vehicle short of an M1 tank isn't going anywhere.

If you talk to cowboys in the know ,they will tell you just the opposite.
Mules are more sure footed and smarter than horses.And cowboys actually rode mules more than horses for this reason.
Horses are just sexier,hence used in movies.

But either way would be a great concept,if you are good on a horse and can make it go down all those trails and keep you with it.
Not really practical unless you were raised with horses or have been riding for a while.

I have changed my mind on what to buy over the last few weeks . I want a 4X4 van but they are few and far between + expensive. So my next was a gas truck but for the same money or a little more I can get a cummins diesel that will burn most anything and last forever.Plus with a few modifications it can be EMP proof

Joshua,

I have always heard that the whole process of producing ethanol isn't cost efficient. ???
Or am I thinking alcohol?

Now as far a propane,how and where will you fill your truck? If we have chaos then people will be emptying the local tanks and make it harder to find.Not just something you can make yourself.

That's the reason for a diesel.Cooking oil,new and used,kerosine,motor oil,just about anything close. And better mileage than most gasoline engines

I'm still in support of bicycles in major shtf. Cheap
to maintain, dont need fuel and they don't eat. Feeding
your horse/mule might be problematic. Traveling long
distances is out for me due to my location so a bike
could get me to a good hunting area. Ok, I won't bug
ya'll about bikes any more. Merry celebration of the
alleged birth of baby Jesus!

I'm still in support of bicycles in major shtf. Cheap
to maintain, dont need fuel and they don't eat. Feeding
your horse/mule might be problematic. Traveling long
distances is out for me due to my location so a bike
could get me to a good hunting area. Ok, I won't bug
ya'll about bikes any more. Merry celebration of the
alleged birth of baby Jesus!

So just tell us what bike shop you own already lol

yeah a friend of mine had a collapsible cart/wagon for sale that is brand new and never used, so I bought it <broken link removed>

I figure for $50.00 about 1/2 of the actual value. I will get my use out of it, at the annual family reunions, around the property, when SHTF I can use it to haul caches intot he woods and if need be to transport my good when there is no fuel

So just tell us what bike shop you own already lol

I'm actually a marine service technician. No bike shop.
About the spinners, I understand why you would want to
kill zombies but pot heads? Sounds like someone just
wants an excuse to kill someone. Pot heads are kinda
dumb. I think they will fail on their own without anyone
having to resort to murder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR