JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let me know if there is also a thread for this, but I've been kickin' around what would be a dependable shtf truck. I'm already leaning in the full-size, diesel, domestic (GM probably), 4x4 direction. But specifically I want to be able to fix the engine easily without computer-controls complicating things at all. Does anyone know for sure when the last non-computerized, diesel, full-sized GMs came out, so I can look for those or older ones? Thanks

There's a lengthy thread kicking around, but it stopped getting posted to a few months back. You should be able to find it in the Search function.

I'd say anything with points is good. My '77 Firebird had HEI, so its gotta be older than that.

Keith

I believe the latest model diesel truck is a 1998 Dodge Ram with the 12V engine with a manual transmission. There are other 24Vs that have computers, so shop carefully.

I believe the latest model diesel truck is a 1998 Dodge Ram with the 12V engine with a manual transmission. There are other 24Vs that have computers, so shop carefully.

True dat. My bro in law just bought a '96 dodge ram to convert. He said up to 98,5 there's no computer...halfway through the year they put them in.
24 valve engines switched to computer controlled...which they did halfway thru 98, but the prior ones were 12 valve, non computer controlled--I think is what he said.

Just tonight he was starting to work on the engine to convert it over to take some veg oil. :) It was interesting. Wants to get my sis a '87 Mercedes as a car version to do the same thing. Said those were bullet proof (followed by "not literally" so I wouldn't get any bright ideas). :)

Counter Of Beans--curious to know what you end up with, if it all works out.

If you're going to depend on an automobile during a shtf scenario, go with one with very high gas mileage. I'd recommend a couple of mtn. bikes with good tires, spare tubes, and a bike trailer instead

or even a dirtbike would work. Maybe quads? I would hate to be stuck with peddle power but if that was the only option a hardtail/front suspension mountain bike would be optimal for long distance offroad riding, a full suspension bike is too heavy for long travels

Here ya go.

1971 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. "It shines in all the right places."

1) Parts available worldwide. (some engine parts interchangeable with chevy).

2) Closest thing to a computer in it is the two-speed wiper switch.

3) "S" has actually hit the fan more than once on this rig. (Proven for the situation you describe).

4) Non gun-owners will know that their food was taken by somebody who arrived looking real cool.

5) Their wives and daughters will want to leave with you.

Here ya go.

1971 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40. "It shines in all the right places."

1) Parts available worldwide. (some engine parts interchangeable with chevy).

2) Closest thing to a computer in it is the two-speed wiper switch.

3) "S" has actually hit the fan more than once on this rig. (Proven for the situation you describe).

4) Non gun-owners will know that their food was taken by somebody who arrived looking real cool.

5) Their wives and daughters will want to leave with you.

Dude.... you are sooo right in my book. 1-5 all the way! btw--SWEET cruiser!

not quite complete yet, but i am driving it. powered by a cummins 6bt turbo intercooled diesel. running dana 60's with 1410 ujoints all the way through. 3.5 inch heavy wall drivelines and some other stuff. working on paint tomorrow. Waiting on a bumper sticker that says built not bought.
here is a link to my flikr page with more pics if any one is interested.

btw the dog in the f;ikr pics is my queensland heeler,Clemantine. she is my assistant mechanic along with bajablast.

Flickr: ksb556's Photostream

Cummins Ramcharger! How cool is that, I want one bad! Love to photos once I found them. That is just the way to go for the Mopar guy.

ElkFish.

:s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:

Last Edited:
Cummins Ramcharger! How cool is that, I want one bad! Love to photos once I found them. That is just the way to go for the Mopar guy.

ElkFish.

:s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:

Im not actually a huge mopar guy, just a big fan of the cummins, plus you cant beat the dana 60's, np 205 t-case, and the ease of the swap, everything bolted in, only real fab was drivelines, and exhaust. after selling the gas parts and some other extras im into it less than 5k

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top