JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so whit all this shtf talk i have been thinking about putting together a bag to carry in my work truck. what all should i carry with me and what kind of bag should i use?

i travel all over the northwest and have room for a large backpack style bag in the truck.

Any help would be great, being that i dont know much about this kind of thing.

Thanks

I don't know much about this either, but from what I've heard of others that have "go bag"s:

MREs (other food bars or storable food)
Extra ammo for whatever guns you pack
Good outdoor blanket (maybe survival/space blanket too)
Water
Water purifier
Matches
Flashlights
Candles
First aid kit
Good knife or two
Good antiseptic... which btw this may sound crazy but if it were my bag, I would totally have some good pure honey. A lot of people don't know this but honey works as a natural antiseptic and antibacterial. It also works wonders on cuts and scrapes to stop bleeding (at the same time treating against infection) as it coagulates the blood. For reals--good stuff. So good in fact that I keep honey sticks in my purse and first aid type kits for when my kids have unexpected face plants etc. It stops the bleeding so fast--it's amazing.

Ok I don't know what else... but now I want to put together a bag too. :) I want hear what others have to say now so I can learn!

It's your get me home bag. Figure how far from home you would be and what it takes to get home should you not be able to drive. Nice fold up bicycle might save your life LOL

jj

So wait a second... you have your "get home bag" that gets you home so that you can pick up your "go bag" to get out of dodge??? :s0114: Ok maybe not quite like that.

Some people I know have what they call "go bags" that they keep in their vehicles at all times. But maybe they don't like their home. ;)

Good antiseptic... which btw this may sound crazy but if it were my bag, I would totally have some good pure honey. A lot of people don't know this but honey works as a natural antiseptic and antibacterial. It also works wonders on cuts and scrapes to stop bleeding (at the same time treating against infection) as it coagulates the blood. For reals--good stuff. So good in fact that I keep honey sticks in my purse and first aid type kits for when my kids have unexpected face plants etc. It stops the bleeding so fast--it's amazing.

Ok I don't know what else... but now I want to put together a bag too. :) I want hear what others have to say now so I can learn!

So I am sitting here reading this on my iPhone thinking it was a guy writing this and then.... BAM!!... Purse??!!?? Then I read who I wrote this and then I am like... Wow my bad.

Get home bag, go bag, truck bag, blah blah blah... Call it what you want but bottom line a little something in your automobile to get you to a safe place with the basics in mind a few creature comfort items in mind. Just remember to keep the rule of threes in mind when planning (You can live; 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food) and do not get into the mindset that you can't learn something new.

Where would I get honey sticks at?

SF-

So I am sitting here reading this on my iPhone thinking it was a guy writing this and then.... BAM!!... Purse??!!?? Then I read who I wrote this and then I am like... Wow my bad.

Haha...No sir. If I was a guy, I'd be a disgrace to the human male race with my lack of knowledge in your world out there. As a gal, I've been taking full advantage of my ignorant state on this forum... and seeming to get away with my silly questions, it at least for a little while. :)

Silver Fox said:
Where would I get honey sticks at?

I generally only find them at small local produce stores, farms (berry/fruit/general produce farms) that have little stores with them, or local honey farms tend to carry them. Google comes up with something for them with puyallup/tacoma search, but I don't know where is local to you.

Now I think they say that the darker the honey (they don't usually have very dark clover in the stick form), generally the stronger fighting power it has. But just the other day my young son fell off the FJ40 and whacked his mouth on the pavement. The first honey stick I found was a blue colored/flavored one and it worked just as fast as the clover ones to stop the bleeding on his mouth by just letting it sit on it a moment. So even those seem to work if needed.

Thanks for humoring me on the honey. And should you decide to ever add it to a kit/bag etc, do take my advice and keep them in a ziploc. This helps eliminate vulgar thoughts and words, should they get smushed. :s0155:

A few good things I've heard on here about this subject...

Water, in a bottle, camelback, just make sure you have some water
MRE's (Or any other food of your choice)
Multi tool
Weapon & ammo (whether it's in your bag or on you at all times, it should be with you daily)
Decent large size fixed blade knife, 6" or more
Compass
Change of clothes
Space blanket
Firestarter kit
Flask with your choice of warming contents
Gloves
Extra socks
Pair of lineman's pliers (for cutting through fences or other possible uses)
Decent warm and water proof jacket
Rain poncho
Parachute cord
Toilet Paper
Maps of local area (paper, not in any electronic format or gps)
Two fat girls and a large tub of butter
Portable shortwave radio
Police Scanner
Various medications
Portable hard drive holding backups of important documents
Camera
Binoculars or other optics
Pair of sneakers
I'm sure there's many other things I haven't thought of that others will.

sounds good i think ill leave out the fat girls and tub of butter!

Ha!! Big plus 1 on that!

Holster chica- Puyallup is my home so if you can find them I might be able to also. Not humoring you on the honey, I think it is a good idea. Both a source of calories and first aid ointment. I wish more females where as interested in learning more about this "stuff". It isn't all about guns, camo and MRE's the traditional 'manly' subjects but about good hygeine, dressing wounds and keeping your spirits up.

Keep learning and don't be afraid to chime in.

SF-

TP
bag jolly ranchers
1L water
water purifier (Pur Hiker... now called katadyn hiker or hiker pro)
road flares
blanket
set of wool socks
old hiking boots
8x10 tarp
few bungee cords
30' 550 cord
2 carabiners
roll duct tape
dozen zip ties
leatherman wave
box of 9mm and 22
4 cliff bars
50 bucks cash
spork
1 mountain house (serves 2)
snowpeak gigalite stove and fuel
.9L cook pot
leather work gloves
first aid kit
small fishing tackle box w/travel rod n reel
bandana
sun glasses
deck of cards
6, 6 sided dice (sorry you D&D guys)
lighter
gerber LMF II
led flash light w/extra batts
emergency strobe light (orange thing from sportsman's guide)
oregon dot map.

Just a few weeks ago I went to a family reunion where the member who was supposed to bring eating utensils was late. I grabbed my spork and was the first one to eat. I also grabbed my stove and used it to help keep some food warm until someone brought the extension cord for an electric crock pot. blanket was used today when wife and i went to our daughters soccer match and it was a bit cold. Point is think about what you may need and how bad it would be needed then add it in. All this stuff above fits in a 50-60 L backpack. a few of the items are tied to the outside.

I have an extra kit I add when I head out on a long trip, go to the mountains or for winter driving.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top