JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK as I have stated before,I think most on here are nutz.
But y'all have some good survival skills/knowledge

So my kid live in LaLa land.I have been talking to him more and more about the SHTF scenario. How to GTFO of LA and head north.

My thought is having either a small cargo trailer,camper,travel trailer or maybe just a car topper box

You could have it locked up with all the necessities for the exit.Guns,food,water.
If you have kids,wouldn't it be easier to just hook up the unit ,load the kids and haul ***?

Why not have something like this set up to GTFO when SHTF? Or is this normal?

Not sure if I'd feel safe pulling a trailer past gov and citizen placed roadblocks. .50 cents of gas and a rag in a bottle will take it out. Shelter in place.

If you had a trailer preplaced in an area you are sure you could get to it would be better than trying to get through SHTF traffic dragging one. People don't drive well enough to keep the roads moving in good times so imagine what it will be like in a panic.

jj

It is not a bad idea to have something like this ready to go. Government and citizen road blocks aside, think 'Vernonia Flood' and 'Katrina' from a couple of years ago. If you are pre-packed and ready to go, you are ahead of everyone else who is still trying to pack and gas up.

Keith

^ Yep, not every SHTF scenario will exclude a camper or cargo trailer. We keep our old pop up ready to go, (and we use it all the time) takes about 15 minutes to throw the last few things in it, crank it closed and we're gone. Being its an old 69' Coleman it's very small and light, we drag it behind the jeep on some pretty sketchy trails and it beats the heck out of sleeping on the cold wet ground. We have converted an awning from a big tent and it snaps to the trailer and then the rig backs up into/under it as well, its a good system for this time of year. Stay dry under there for days, its like a palace if you're used to tent camping and if we have the choice when/if the SHTF, I wouldn't think of bugging out without it.

I am more for the SUV and a roof basket approach if you are to do something like this. This way your are more mobile, can go around or over things with the 4wd, you can usually sleep in an SUV pretty easily if its a mid size or larger. I have a 4runner, but a tahoe or expedition could work too. Roof rack is nice as long as you have weather proof containers for your junk. Not the most Aerodynamic of things, but it allows you to haul a ton more junk. I really want to get another 4runner and pimp it out with a big rack on top so I can take all of our junk camping with us when we go. A trailer is a nice idea on paper, but IMO unless its a full on camper it will probably become more of a liability than an asset in more than a few situations.

The average person has how much fuel in their rig? If you figure where they will run out then that is where the roads will be blocked beyond passage in a shtf. A trailer may allow you supplies while you wait to die or offer someone a "cash cow" when they take it from you.

Just a point of view of course.

jj

I have a cargo box for the top of my 4Runner - it carries an amazing amount of stuff in it. It's also locked. Two downsides: clearance is an issue (especially with garages) and I wouldn't want to put anything combustible or temp-sensitive up there (it gets very hot in summer). Not as big as a trailer, but another alternative to consider.

^ Yep, not every SHTF scenario will exclude a camper or cargo trailer. We keep our old pop up ready to go, (and we use it all the time) takes about 15 minutes to throw the last few things in it, crank it closed and we're gone. Being its an old 69' Coleman it's very small and light, we drag it behind the jeep on some pretty sketchy trails and it beats the heck out of sleeping on the cold wet ground. We have converted an awning from a big tent and it snaps to the trailer and then the rig backs up into/under it as well, its a good system for this time of year. Stay dry under there for days, its like a palace if you're used to tent camping and if we have the choice when/if the SHTF, I wouldn't think of bugging out without it.

My wife and I have an '88 Coleman Williamsburg pop up. Beats the heck outta tent camping for sure. Two propane tanks, heat, water heater, etc, etc.. I would most certainly not leave home without it.

Not sure if I'd feel safe pulling a trailer past gov and citizen placed roadblocks. .50 cents of gas and a rag in a bottle will take it out. Shelter in place.

This can happen with any vehicle though.

And the cargo rack/box was one of the ideas.The rack you would just have the boxes ready to throw on top.

Now I have seen some trailers the Aussies use on the trails.They have some cool outback stuff.
A guy could put large diameter tires and put the springs on top of the axles for a little more ground clearance.

Now JJ,why would it be easier for someone to take a trailer than your car?
I don't see myself giving up either too easily

So besides the mollitofs? and the trailer being easily taken from you,clearance,both upper and lower are the down sides. And a little more weight/less MPGs

I guess I'm looking at making an early break type scenario.I think most on here will be leaving sooner,rather than later.
You could take more,have more bargaining chips with you.
(of coarse,with guns,the chips will fall your way anywho)

Thanks for the ideas.

I used to travel a great deal with my work and drug a travel trailer for many years (20+). I am not saying don't but I will say it takes more room to manuver dragging a trailer. On jammed roads it can get you killed if you can't turn around. Plus those propane tanks would be just like a bomb if hit right. Something to think about

Real life, folks: Your house floods when the Nehalem river overflows it banks and drowns out the town of Vernonia. For several weeks. That was SHTF for the them folks. How nice to be able to move a trailer or RV to a trailer park in St. Helens or Scappoose until the insurance covers the months of cleanup that your house requires before you can return. Not all SHTFs require marauding bikers gangs to qualify as a SHTF.

Keith

I used to travel a great deal with my work and drug a travel trailer for many years (20+). I am not saying don't but I will say it takes more room to manuver dragging a trailer. On jammed roads it can get you killed if you can't turn around. Plus those propane tanks would be just like a bomb if hit right. Something to think about

TBH.. Giant.. IF..

If it hit the fan that badly.. Propane I think would be a hot commodity, and I really don't think people would be wanting to just blow up tanks for the fun of it, or to hurt somebody... Steal it maybe..

At any rate.. Most trailers / RVs have onboard propane. If you are that worried about a tank exploding because somebody shot it, etc.. Shield them. They make covers for them put some metal in there and shield them. Easier on some trailers than others..

And I would hope, that if one would explode in the rear of my Pathy.. At most I think we'd lose the back window, maybe spare tire.. I dont think it would break the tongue..

Then I bring you ..

YouTube - Mythbusters blow up a propane tank!.

To get it to explode..

Build it and use it. Having it ready to go at all times makes that spur of the moment adventure possible.
SHTF ready is Ok, but enjoy it too. I know that I do- BLT Offroad Trailer

Our last trip over the Steens was closing in on 9500 ft again. The lack of available power and room to haul a second motorcycle meant that I am now putting together a different tow vehicle. That is still a work in progress, but coming along Ok thus far.

offroad.JPG

IMGP0178.JPG

unity1.JPG

IMGP0690.JPG

IMGP1190.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Real life, folks: Your house floods when the Nehalem river overflows it banks and drowns out the town of Vernonia. For several weeks. That was SHTF for the them folks. How nice to be able to move a trailer or RV to a trailer park in St. Helens or Scappoose until the insurance covers the months of cleanup that your house requires before you can return. Not all SHTFs require marauding bikers gangs to qualify as a SHTF.

Keith

Thank you! Shheessh.

Build it and use it. Having it ready to go at all times makes that spur of the moment adventure possible.
SHTF ready is Ok, but enjoy it too. I know that I do-

Right on, we use the heck out of ours. Parked it after last weekend, need some maintenance and we're adding a lift to it as well. BTW, love you trailer.

Exactly what I was talking about:s0155:

Have you thought of just making a rack on the back of that trailer for a MC? Or do you need to re-enforce the frame too?
Nice work BTW
OK I see you said a second MC

SHTF ready is Ok, but enjoy it too. I know that I do- BLT Offroad Trailer

Our last trip over the Steens was closing in on 9500 ft again. The lack of available power and room to haul a second motorcycle meant that I am now putting together a different tow vehicle. That is still a work in progress, but coming along Ok thus far.

offroad.JPG

IMGP0178.JPG

unity1.JPG

IMGP0690.JPG

IMGP1190.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I see you said a second MC
Yes. My KLR will ride on the back of the trailer and her TW200 can ride in the back of the truck now.
It may even be possible to haul both bikes in the truck and the canoe over the trailer. We will see this spring.

unity2.JPG

The bike on the back of the trailer in the really rough stuff may not work very well. The rack can move to the front of the trailer and I can ride the bike to scout the trail if it gets that difficult.

Ours stays stocked and ready at all times. All we need is to plug in the fridge and add perishables. In a pinch we can just hook up and go. The canned goods and dry mixes get refreshed on camping adventures. That keeps the stock fresh. We carry over 30 gallons of water when fully stocked. With any sun at all that solar suitcase will stay ahead of the electrical needs. A small generator or the connection to the truck can supplement it if needed.

I agree that bugging in is the way to go if possible, but if that is not an option, I hope we can slip away with the trailer to a good location. I don't plan to have to deal with a SHTF scenario, but I do like to get out and practice with the trailer as much as is possible :) Even if it is no more than an evening out riding the dualsports!

unity2.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads