JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm probably not the only one tired of waiting for the STHTF so we can finally learn if all this speculation will turn out!

:s0003:

So, I'm facing myself? As in, he'll look the same, sounds the same, eat the same, fight the same etc? Because if that's the case, I know full well how I'd try to kill me and a .22 certainly wouldn't be my choice counter. Interesting thing to think about, you never imagine having to fight yourself

But to answer the question of how would I defend against myself?

I would pickup a SIG 226 chambered in .40 S&W or an AK or a 12 ga shotgun - depending on which was closer - and use that firearm - because while I have a number of rimfires, I have other guns too.

If you have only one gun for SHTF, you are doing it wrong (you should have at least three - a personal defense handgun, a personal defense rifle and a .22 rimfire firearm).

But the first firearm for anybody should be a .22 rimfire. I have more .22 rimfire firearms than any other chambering. If you don't have a .22 rimfire and you are prepping, you are doing it wrong.

The rest is debatable and varies by context (your personal situation); for some people, the PDH and PDR may be a .45 ACP semi auto and an M1A, for others it might be a Five Seven and a PS90, for others it might be a 9mm semi auto and an AK or an AR. The only thing you can really do wrong is to not have a .22 rimfire in your 'arsenal' of tools - IMO, it really is that important and useful.

A basic .22 rimfire that is accurate and at least several thousand rounds of ammo (most of which should be specific hunting ammo - i.e., accurate HP ammo) is so easy to come by almost anywhere in the USA (and many other countries) and is so inexpensive that I really can't see an argument for any prepper to not have at least one - preferably one for each member of the family.

This.

I honestly can't think of a reason not to own & be able to shoot a .22lr well.

Not from a defensive standpoint, mind, but just simply to understand & maintain shooting fundamentals. Fun aside, they're so inexpensive comparatively. One would be at a disadvantage without ever having them. IMO.

Consider if the world as we know it were reduced to harvesting small game for meat (however unlikely or likely one feels). Having a tool available to do so would put you & yours well above those not so equipped.

Then, as to personal defense, it circles back to good skill & fundamentals, learned & maintained on an inexpensive platform.

I'm also of the mindset that should something go sideways with life as we know it, that what we have is it.

No plans to go out & about to gain something we should have had the foresight to plan on. That, in my opinion, is great way to end up in the dirt. Then what does your family, do without you?

The beauty part of 22LR for SHTF is that you can ditch the awkward tactical wheelbarrow for a lightweight and more maneuverable Tactical Wagon
1575516780465.png

Last Edited:
The only reason I can think of to only have a .22 rimfire is if you live in one of those places where they have so many gun control laws, that it is the only gun you can own. There are a number of those you know, and it is almost always the .22 rimfire that is the last gun left, or the last to go.

Therefore that, in and of itself, would be a very good reason to own .22 rimfires in and of themselves; because when you have lost all your other guns in a tragic boating accident, you will at least have a .22 rimfire, even if it is a single shot. If they won't let you have even that, then it is time to go fishing - with a magnet - or to be hiding behind a tree waiting for someone in a blue helmet to come along with something more appropriate.

My MT husband would have a semi automatic pistol in a 45acp caliber. He has duplicate - exact models in the same brand and caliber with SEVERAL magazines.

He could pick several rifles in various calibers:

30-30

30-06

45-70

and he has a few 22lr rifles too.

ALL of the other caliber firearms went bye, bye when he and I downsized in all firearms and calibers. Major caliber consolidation even with matching caliber handguns and rifles.

Would my senior citizen husband CHOOSE a 22lr rifle in specific situations? No. He would choose a larger caliber CF rifle and CF handgun.

What would I have chosen in the past when I was younger and did not have several physical issues? I had a few that never got better but I was still in better shape when it came to my ARMS/HANDS at the time. Broken bones/nerve damage/arthritis/range of motion.

I would have chosen and I did choose a CF handgun, later on - several CF handguns, several RF handguns and 3 RF rifles back east.

MY first firearm was in a CF caliber and it was in a handgun. GLOCK 9mm pistol. I am not talking about the 'house gun' that I used that belonged to my late husband now.

My first CF rifle was bought out west. It was in a 30-30 caliber and I/we owned several pistol caliber rifles too.

Now?

I would use my 22lr CZ 455 Lux bolt action rifle. I have extra magazines for this rifle too. This is the Main Rifle that I use now due to my arthritis, etc. It is okay if you laugh at me - no problem. I do what works for ME now and in the last couple of years.

My husband has loaded 30-30 ammunition that I used to shoot in a few lever action rifles. He wants me to try shooting them again at our range. I am not a reloader - hand loader. I NEVER was a reloader.

I used to shoot some 150 grain loads in a few 30-30 rifles too. But the one that he made with the 'cast bullets' from Idaho (30-30) were extremely comfortable to shoot until my physical issues got worse.

I like 22wmr shooting out of a lever action rifle even though I do not own the former heavier, walnut stock, lever action rifle now.

I used to love shooting pistol calibers out of HEAVIER walnut stock and steel or brass lever action rifles in several brand names too.

I personally never cared for the 10/22 rifle and I never bought one. (I mean NO offense to people who love this rifle!) I did shoot a couple that belonged to friends. They liked their rifles in 22lr, .223, .308 and 30-06 too.

I buy, bought, shoot and shot what worked for me. (Past and present.)

There were a few firearms that I owned that did Not trip my late husband's trigger and he owned/shot what HE liked. He never fell in love (LOL) with some of my former single action revolvers. He did like my Ruger Blackhawk (New Model) in 45Long Colt though. His main calibers for his VERY FEW handguns and rifles were ONLY in 357Magnum and in 22lr. Handguns and rifles. He did like the GLOCK that I owned too. He liked a few other firearms that I owned too.

I think that a 22lr rifle and a 30-30 rifle are classic and old stand by firearms to own.

And if you don't OWN or WANT or LIKE a 30-30 caliber rifle for a CF rifle - try out some sweet pistol caliber rifles in 357Magnum, 45Long Colt, 44Magnum, etc. Unless you reload, 45Long Colt got more expensive to buy. I don't know the price of it now off hand. That goes for 44Magnum/44Special too. That went up and I have NO clue what it is now.

My two top thoughts for 'survival rifles' or BASIC rifles always go back to 22lr and 30-30 calibers. Old school and old fashioned, I know. LOL

Your mileage may vary since so many people LOVE and shoot the .223 caliber in various platforms.

The ammunition is easy to find and not too expensive in 22lr and in 30-30.

That goes for the .223 caliber for those who love their .223 rifles too!

(I am NOT talking about the fake/real shortages in the past years where even 30-30 was hard to find for people who only BUY their ammunition. We all know about the RF shortages! We had some shortages in some shotgun shells out here too. ON the Montana news and not only on this side of the continental divide and in other parts of the country too. People who stocked up or replaced what they shot on a regular basis did not run short. People who had reloading stock for their CF firearms had no issues either.)

I still believe that a 22lr rifle is a great survival rifle to own. And if you are handicapped or elderly with limited range of motion - I believe that a 22lr or 22wmr is a GREAT caliber for a person to own if they only owned one firearm by choice.

And if you don't LIKE or prefer to shoot RF firearms or think that way, don't buy one or shoot one.

My MT husband would NEVER CHOOSE a RF firearm over a CF firearm in a handgun or rifle in a basic - survival situation.

My late husband would NEVER CHOOSE a RF firearm over a CF firearm in the same situation and he ONLY owned a FEW firearms, by choice, in his entire life and in ONLY 22lr and 357Magnum calibers!

My MT husband prefers to shoot CF firearms over RF firearms too. Same as my late husband. But he sometimes goes on a roll where he shoots his RF rifles for a time frame too! He does reload (Early 1970's.) and he is stocked up so he has enough reloading stock to FEED his habit in ALL of his CF firearms even if he does not compete any longer. He is retired and he has a few OTHER hobbies other than shooting now too.

There are some people on limited budgets too. And even though they PLAN ahead, work hard and smart, they shoot basic common calibers (RF and CF) in their firearms when they can do this. Many of these people have children and those children have sports/hobbies other than only shooting too.

Old Lady Cate

PS:

I knew some older people when I was younger who only owned a RF handgun and/or a RF rifle. Mainly OLDER ladies.

Some of them only owned a basic shotgun (12 gauge.) and a 22lr rifle. Plain Jane/Joe guns and they owned them for self defense. So some of you can laugh at that but I will not and I did not.

They were not into shooting as a hobby. They did not hunt. They only wanted a basic gun for protection. I say, "Good for them!"

They went to the range about 1 to 4 times a year. Some of them lived RURAL! Some could shoot on their own farm land. Some of them lived in the suburbs, city or in a small town. They only wanted something for protection and knew the basics. Some of them were married and some never married. Some may have KEPT a family GUN or been trained to use a gun by their Dad, brother, uncle or husband too.

My dear friend - retired Army, back east, who we gifted a sweet .223 rifle to (FFL to FFL) gifted his ONLY son a few firearms over Thanksgiving. An older 30-30 rifle that belonged to one Grandfather and a newer shotgun. Family guns and his daughter has gotten into shooting a few guns now too.

Cate

I have a Ruger 10/22 and a 22/ 45. The 22/45 is the most shot gun I own and honestly my favorite. Look out Jerry Miculek , it is the gun I shoot the best . That being said jams and other malfunctions are hard to clear and that is a major serious gun use fault.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top