JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted to make this thread an educational one. Someone brought it to my attention that dropping that empty mag is fine for now, but not during TEOWAWKI/SHTF.

For example- during SHTF, you might not want to drop your magazines. A coworker of mine suggested a drop pouch on your gear- otherwise you will have an expensive single-shot rifle on your hands within a month or two into TEOWAWKI.

Of course this takes training and practice...and I wanted to know what you recommend or train for differently during TEOWAWKI.

Shooting groin and head instead of center mass in case they are wearing armor?

Attaching magazine(s) to your rifle(s) so they don't fall?

Would like to hear about your suggestions and recommendations....

I've always run dump pouches in the woods, and I find them an invaluable and extremely versatile accessory to my MOLLE gear. If you practice enough to retain your magazines, then it will become second nature for shtf.

Dump a magazine!!! I'll have a hard time not picking up my brass! 42 years of accounting for every non rimfire case to come out of my firearm is not going away.

Dump a magazine!!! I'll have a hard time not picking up my brass! 42 years of accounting for every non rimfire case to come out of my firearm is not going away.

Back in the 1970s at a City Police dept they were required to dump their training fired brass from their revolvers into a nearby container each time. When one of them got in an on duty shootout he was killed while trying to pocket the fired brass

Agreed, never leave your mag(s) behind.
Also, a shoulder bag with a rock climbing clip hooked to your pants loop to avoid side to side and forward play works well too! Not knocking the new "tactical" products on the market, they work great, but essentially all are just bags with fancier forms of retention around the openings and attachment methods. I personally go for lot-tech and just as proven dump pouch and magazine carrier methods so I can put more money towards ammo. Thats not to say I cheap out on my gear, I go with rugged designs that work just as well but at half the cost. Just my .02¢ I'm a fan if everything though really! Go with what works for you!

Agreed, never leave your mag(s) behind.
Also, a shoulder bag with a rock climbing clip hooked to your pants loop to avoid side to side and forward play works well too! Not knocking the new "tactical" products on the market, they work great, but essentially all are just bags with fancier forms of retention around the openings and attachment methods. I personally go for lot-tech and just as proven dump pouch and magazine carrier methods so I can put more money towards ammo. Thats not to say I cheap out on my gear, I go with rugged designs that work just as well but at half the cost. Just my .02¢ I'm a fan if everything though really! Go with what works for you!

Run out of mags in your first month or two??? If someone is getting into that many firefights and they are not the aggressor they are seriously doing it wrong.

Another thing is IF you survive actual firefights and win, you will probably have lots of capture items

I use Magpul Pmags for my AR. Ain't no way I'm dropping that mag. I have pockets. I'll use them.

In a SHTF scenario Pmags will be worth their weight in gold. I'll use he mags from my dead enemies for barter.

We had this topic last year when someone mentioned using 550 cord to tie a mag to the AR or body so it would not be lost,,,bad juujuu in the real world.
To me $53 for a maxpedition dump pouch is just way too much, so is an Eagle canteen pouch for $50.
A 762 SAW pouch will do the job on a Molle rig and nearly any mil. gas mask or GP bag will work on an ALICE rig. make dump pouches out of the uppers of snow boots (they have draw strings at the top) with a piece of 2" webing riveted in place as a belt loop

This was the Newhall Incident where two California Highway Patrol officers were killed in a shoot out. The killer shot them while they were picking up brass during the shootout.

Back in the 1970s at a City Police dept they were required to dump their training fired brass from their revolvers into a nearby container each time. When one of them got in an on duty shootout he was killed while trying to pocket the fired brass

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top