JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bullion dealers, coin dealers, currency dealers, some banks, and some individuals will always be available to exchange hard money for paper currencies, which would then be used as the medium of exchange. Not sure what you mean when you say "When SHTF..." What kind of "S" are you thinking will "HTF"? In most cases currencies will continue to be a store of value and a medium of exchange.

Again, depending what "S" hits what fan, I would be inclined to think currency and metals would be weeks or months down the road.
Exchanging yeast for sugar or eggs for meat would happen with neighbors long before people began making longer forages.
It would seem feasible that at some point some sort of local exchange center would crop up.
Interesting train of thought, what happens after the worst case scenario.

If things get bad enough the paper money would be worthless. Just using a really bad economy with hyperinflation as a scenario, and no one will want official money because it will lose value at an incredible pace. Barter would become the most frequent form of exchange of goods and services. Silver and gold will likely be an medium of exchange as well.

I really doubt that precious metals will matter much in a true SHTF scenario. You won't likely be able to hold onto it trying to get to another country for it to be worth something.

IMHO the most likely SHTF scenario is a complete economic melt down. The US dollar well be worthless. I really think this is coming, the .gov can not keep spending money like they have been the past few years. The .gov just keeps printing and printing money with nothing to back it up. If the rest of the worlds countries get their way the US dollar well no longer be the worlds currency, things well fall apart overnight. Gas costing $100 a gallon, food 5X's or more current prices.

Having physical possession of precious metals well be some protection from this. The price of silver and gold are all time highs, you can not even buy sterling at good prices any more for melt down. If you can afford it I would recommend have a few hundred once's of silver stashed away.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top