JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There will be no recovery to previous levels after the collapse. Others have learned to continue on with only meager possessions and a barren standard of living. We will need to do the same.

Many of us will not be around a very few years from now. Most will be caught entirely off guard. Survival will have more to do with mental strength and preparedness than anything else.

You are exactly right about the mental strength required to survive in a harsh, unforgiving and dangerous post SHTF environment, Burt. There will be starvation, deprivation, little or no creature comforts or hope. If you are not prepared for that, you're lost!

I doesn't hurt to have a years supply of food and some way to cook other than an electric, propane or natural gas stove. Oh, and alcohol!! :D

SHTF School?

Here's all the "schooling" you need to know...

*Stock up on food, guns, ammunition and water
*Cut off all debt
*Grow a garden
*Live "off the grid"

If you don't know how to do any of these specific tasks (shoot guns, grow a garden, can your own food, perform first aid, etc.) then take a class in that specific field. This "SHTF School" is a sham. The entire class is all online! At least the zombie survival course teaches people first aid, how to shoot and how to hotwire a car. What is this going to teach me? That I should have saved my money and checked out a library book like One Second After?

I am not an "over the top" prepper. I do have food, water and water purification methods, along with many other survival items. I am not planning on anything, but you just never know. One simple thing that I keep in my range bag, emergency food supply and any other "SHTF" stuff is a deck of playing cards. As a good example, I have been laid up now for all of this year with a broken back. I have television, cable, the internet, gun magazines, Elmer Keith and other gun writers books and, were I to be so depraved, my son's video games to keep me busy. I still have cabin fever. I can't imagine this kind of limited mobility in a pre-electricity or post-apocolyptic world. A deck of cards could go along way towards ones sanity. I can shoot with the best of them. I can tend a garden. I can prepare and store meat long term. Staring at the same 4 walls can drive you to a certain amount of "stir crazy", especially in this world of overstimulation. A deck of cards, pencil and paper and, since we have an 8 year old boy, a baggie with 4 Hot Wheels and 20 army men figures is part of our stores. I don't want to starve to death, but I also am not keen on insanity. A "SHTF" school sounds like Zombie-Slaying type marketing to me. A play on fear and emotion for the sake of profit. Speaking of which, I'd better get some Zombie bullets. These Nosler Partitions and Winchester Ranger's definitely won't work. Kip.

I thought the article was an interesting read, but I am not suggesting that one pay for his courses.

Peter

Good article, but like you said probably not worth the cash, if I pay for anything it would wilderness survival or advance wilderness first aid, which reminds I have to check the red cross sight for summer overnight advanced course

THe graf about medications is very relevant to me and makes me re-think some of my strategy. I now believe the very first stop would be a pharmacy, where I'd grab as many thyroid meds and Dyazide as they had and then I'd move on to the next pharmacy. Both my wife and i have thyroid disease and i have Meniere's disease. I'd also grab anti-anxiety meds (helps prevent panic). Then I'd get myself to a nursery where I'd grab some smart pots for growing cannabis.

THe graf about medications is very relevant to me and makes me re-think some of my strategy. I now believe the very first stop would be a pharmacy, where I'd grab as many thyroid meds and Dyazide as they had and then I'd move on to the next pharmacy. Both my wife and i have thyroid disease and i have Meniere's disease. I'd also grab anti-anxiety meds (helps prevent panic). Then I'd get myself to a nursery where I'd grab some smart pots for growing cannabis.

Two points to this post...

#1. If you don't already have a stock of medications prior to collapse, don't plan on being able to get any after one.
#2. If grabbing weed and anxiety medications is above your priority to antibiotics then I wish you the best year of your life you have left.

Cheers!

I still do not know lot of things, I do not know how to operate 20 different weapons, I am not ex special forces member, I do not know how to survive in prolonged period in wilderness, and I am still learning lot of things from different kind of people, on internet and forums and in physical courses too.

But I know how I survived SHTF and how real SHTF looks like, and the real problem is that it definitely does not look like majority of preppers imagine it.

Full Circle…? – SHTF School

Good article, but like you said probably not worth the cash, if I pay for anything it would wilderness survival or advance wilderness first aid, which reminds I have to check the red cross sight for summer overnight advanced course
Ive been looking at the book tables at gun shows for books to have on hand for reference should we have a SHTF event. The Foxfire series for example. Its one thing to go out and 'practice' for a long weekend of being in the woods, but its a whole other thing to be in the woods with no place to go back to, ever... The books may never be needed but thats why we carry too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top