Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SHTF School - No real recovery (life after a SHTF event)

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ATCclears, May 23, 2012.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

There will be no recovery to previous levels after the collapse. Others have learned to continue on with only meager possessions and a barren standard of living. We will need to do the same.

Many of us will not be around a very few years from now. Most will be caught entirely off guard. Survival will have more to do with mental strength and preparedness than anything else.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

You are exactly right about the mental strength required to survive in a harsh, unforgiving and dangerous post SHTF environment, Burt. There will be starvation, deprivation, little or no creature comforts or hope. If you are not prepared for that, you're lost!

I doesn't hurt to have a years supply of food and some way to cook other than an electric, propane or natural gas stove. Oh, and alcohol!! :D

4. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

SHTF School?

Here's all the "schooling" you need to know...

*Stock up on food, guns, ammunition and water
    *Cut off all debt
    *Grow a garden
    *Live "off the grid"

If you don't know how to do any of these specific tasks (shoot guns, grow a garden, can your own food, perform first aid, etc.) then take a class in that specific field. This "SHTF School" is a sham. The entire class is all online! At least the zombie survival course teaches people first aid, how to shoot and how to hotwire a car. What is this going to teach me? That I should have saved my money and checked out a library book like One Second After?

dude young and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I thought the article was an interesting read, but I am not suggesting that one pay for his courses.

Peter

6. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

I am not an "over the top" prepper. I do have food, water and water purification methods, along with many other survival items. I am not planning on anything, but you just never know. One simple thing that I keep in my range bag, emergency food supply and any other "SHTF" stuff is a deck of playing cards. As a good example, I have been laid up now for all of this year with a broken back. I have television, cable, the internet, gun magazines, Elmer Keith and other gun writers books and, were I to be so depraved, my son's video games to keep me busy. I still have cabin fever. I can't imagine this kind of limited mobility in a pre-electricity or post-apocolyptic world. A deck of cards could go along way towards ones sanity. I can shoot with the best of them. I can tend a garden. I can prepare and store meat long term. Staring at the same 4 walls can drive you to a certain amount of "stir crazy", especially in this world of overstimulation. A deck of cards, pencil and paper and, since we have an 8 year old boy, a baggie with 4 Hot Wheels and 20 army men figures is part of our stores. I don't want to starve to death, but I also am not keen on insanity. A "SHTF" school sounds like Zombie-Slaying type marketing to me. A play on fear and emotion for the sake of profit. Speaking of which, I'd better get some Zombie bullets. These Nosler Partitions and Winchester Ranger's definitely won't work. Kip.

7. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

Good article, but like you said probably not worth the cash, if I pay for anything it would wilderness survival or advance wilderness first aid, which reminds I have to check the red cross sight for summer overnight advanced course

8. telecat

telecat USA New Member

THe graf about medications is very relevant to me and makes me re-think some of my strategy. I now believe the very first stop would be a pharmacy, where I'd grab as many thyroid meds and Dyazide as they had and then I'd move on to the next pharmacy. Both my wife and i have thyroid disease and i have Meniere's disease. I'd also grab anti-anxiety meds (helps prevent panic). Then I'd get myself to a nursery where I'd grab some smart pots for growing cannabis.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Two points to this post...

#1. If you don't already have a stock of medications prior to collapse, don't plan on being able to get any after one.
    #2. If grabbing weed and anxiety medications is above your priority to antibiotics then I wish you the best year of your life you have left.

Cheers!