JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I like about the approach these folks take:
<broken link removed>
is that they define what SHTF most likely will mean - in the near term an economic depression. They also work off the reality that most Americans have at most a few thousand dollars saved. So given many needs and very little cash, what defensive tools or tool should people consider in an economic crash? They also correctly point out that in those circumstance, the state doesn't disappear at all, but becomes even more obnoxious - i.e. the safety net features get cut but the repressive apparatus grows - same with corporate abuse of power.
So in an economic depression it's unlikely we'll be fighting in the streets with our rifles, but more probably defending ourselves from the rise of criminals of various types. They choose a shotgun because it's cheap, widely available, as is ammo. It has dual purpose for hunting and defense. My disagreement would be shotguns are hard to use, conceal, and places to practice are even harder to find.

AR-15 all day, and all night...

1) from what I understand, the US military likes the 5.56 because it has reasonable power, it is very accurate, and it is light enough to carry lots of rounds. Now there are many weapons in our arsenal that help us maintain military dominance in the world. I believe that the 5.56 AR is one of them. I assume that if it is good enough for our soldiers and marines, it should be good enough for me.

2) 5.56/.223 is a common round. So, it is one of a few rifle cartridges that should be abundant and could be scavenged for in some sort of apocalyptic scenario. And the same is true for the AR rifle and it's parts.

3) absent any SHTF scenario, I love shooting ARs. I love building them I love customizing every little aspect and making the rifle my very own. It is like a Jeep Wrangler. It's just fun! And so prior to SHTF I can have lots of fun with my AR rifles, and, if something terrible does happen, then I will have them. But if nothing bad happens, I haven't wasted all my money on some rifle that I don't enjoy now. And because I have been using them and learning them, when/if SHTF does happen, I will be very proficient. Hopefully. Lol.

So for me it's AR-15 all day and all night!
Of course, a .22 rifle, 9mm pistol, and 1000 rounds for each is also a must... ;)

Ever heard the saying "Never fear the man with many guns, fear the man with 1 gun." Whatever gun you choose it should be well used because you train with it.

Have to agree, the Mosin is, for the money probably the best value available for a serious caliber rifle.

And the ammo is cheap. And it hits hard, lots of good penetration.

Yavas lublu, Tavarich!

I also agree. Further, if you get the M44, once it's out of ammo your 'stick' has more bite as you can flick out the bayonet and continue taking out zombies.
Moreover, the ammo is not only cheap and hard hitting, it was the only ammo available during the last ammo shortage.

:D If you had money to burn then you would learn all the weapons you would be likely to run into. Maybe study how much drop there is on each common round and even learn the takedown on different delivery systems. In a situation you guys describe there would be a number of guns with no owner. LOL LOL
WARNING: NECRO-POST WARNING: NECRO-POST
^^^^^!THIS!^^^^^
Interesting, reading these words from the past and knowing how things played out since then....
Ive lived my life in such a way as to have the time and $$$$ for "Defence spending" and personal familiarisation with multiple weapon "systems" and "platforms" over the years. I suppose it has come at some social costs, but aside from my personal relationship with The Almighty, gun rights are way more important in my book than almost everything else... just the way I hang...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top