JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Something I've been pondering lately:

For a SHTF rifle, which would be better? A well-used milsurp like an SKS, Mosin, Mauser or Garand or a shiny new AR or AK? The Milsurps are obviously reliable and the ammo is relatively cheap and already packed in spam cans for most of them, but you can't say that they haven't already had a lot of their life used up by their original owners. On the other hand, a shiny new rifle is just that; shiny and new. Not broken in, not battle tested, and the ammo (at least for the AR) is far more expensive.

Any thoughts?

I should add: I'm not looking for advice, as I already own almost all of those guns I've listed and the respective ammo for each. It's more of a philosophical thought exercise.

SHTF best is what you are accustomed to using.
You must hit the target, in the middle of the target, in the X ring.
As a range coach and RSO at DRRC, who observes the goings-on, especially during hunter-site-in, I expect to see a lot of surplus firearms on the pavement after week one of THE DAY.

US mil spec rifles, when shipped overseas, must meet certain criteria and be able to function for 90 days in a combat environment. By combat environment think D-Day France 1944 etc.
Shinny new is just that and probably not 'mil-spec' however SHTF will likely NOT be a beach landing or 297 days of continuous combat (Audie Murphy). I am hoping that, with care and proper lubes, either type will suffice. If not it's a trip to the nearest 3-D Printer for me!;)

Yeah I would say take what you are comfortable with. Kind of also depends on the SHTF type of deal to I guess. Are you out on your own or dragging people with you....

Yeah I would say take what you are comfortable with. Kind of also depends on the SHTF type of deal to I guess. Are you out on your own or dragging people with you....

For purposes of this thought exercise I'm choosing a gun for myself. The other folks can pack around one of my Type 53 Chinese Mosins:D

For purposes of this thought exercise I'm choosing a gun for myself. The other folks can pack around one of my Type 53 Chinese Mosins:D

Well I was thinking also what are you shooting at and whats the situation. Me I have a 300 BLK I love but at the same time a 22 with a can is great as ammo is not heavy..... Have a 300 with a can also but....

It is a philisophical question or personal choice....People rave about the AK 47 as the be all and end all of modern combat rifles...and yet the Sovs came out with the AK 74 in a different caliber. For me I am guessing it will be the one I can get to the fastest or have the most BBs for.

Brutus Out

If I had money to burn....
Duplicate unfired or lightly used/tested weapons of the type I use and am most happy and familiar with.
These would be stored in two or three different locations w/ammo ready to go!

So I guess shiny new.

I don't have any money to burn though:(

:D If you had money to burn then you would learn all the weapons you would be likely to run into. Maybe study how much drop there is on each common round and even learn the takedown on different delivery systems. In a situation you guys describe there would be a number of guns with no owner. LOL LOL

My SKS hasn't hardly been fired before me if it even was. I expect it to last my lifetime and several generations past me.

That being said, I'm not sure I would choose it over an AK for combat, given magazine reliability if I had a choice.

I like AR's but I'd rather have the punch of a 7.62x39 for urban combat then .223.

All of the weapon systems are good for what they are designed to do. What you then have is a choice as to what will work best for you in what ever survival plan you have. Some of the systems are top dollar but where will you find parts?

The SKS is a good rifle and rings the 200 yard gong every shot with open sights. You can pick up an entire trigger group at a gunshow for very little money so all you have to do is learn the gun. Plus there is no need for magazines if you use stripper clips. Not my first choice for a rifle but then who am I.o_O

A lot of good choices out there, I wouldn't want to face any of them when they are in the hands of a determined man or woman.

I still like/own a mini 14 ss All Weather Ranch 580 series as one of my possible shtf guns. Good all around relatively accurate, handy rifle, no frills, common enough ammo. Not popular on this forum I know.

I still like/own a mini 14 ss All Weather Ranch 580 series as one of my possible shtf guns. Good all around relatively accurate, handy rifle, no frills, common enough ammo. Not popular on this forum I know.

Everything works if you have a plan and strategy. I have killed deer with the mini 14 when I bought my first one. Not what I would carry today but still a fine rifle. They don't make parts for the older ones so keep an eye out for parts as the gun gets older.o_O

Reliability is gold with the mini. What the gripe is, accuracy and busted eardrums. The report is horrendous on the mini, but that action is tried and true.

old beat up well used rifle for the most part. the SKS gets the nod, as does the Mosin NAgant and the M1 Garand...but realistically, I would lean towards either the M1 Garand or a .30-06 bolt action rifle, as they are EVERYWHERE out here.... well, the caliber is everywhere, and bolt actions chambered for that are everywhere....and supplement that with a 12 gauge pump or single shot, whichever one happens to be available right now (have a pump shotgun at the ready right now, so that goes)
Otherwise...there will be a lot of guns and ammo all over the place from people dying and people running and people not paying attention....if they aren't already policed up by the military or LEOs gone "rogue"...

I would try to get a .30-30 lever rifle, parts are relatively easy to work with, can find ammo pretty much everywhere......

One thing to note, I have been seeing $11 a box of 20 .223 ammo a lot more lately, so thats not much more than twice the X39 prices at Wal Mart, but just around that much from the "gouges" of a year ago... so I would say carry whatever you feel comfortable with....good chance there will be a thousand if not more of people with .22LRs and the ammo for them if the buying panics is anything to go by...

old beat up well used rifle for the most part. the SKS gets the nod, as does the Mosin NAgant and the M1 Garand...but realistically, I would lean towards either the M1 Garand or a .30-06 bolt action rifle, as they are EVERYWHERE out here.... well, the caliber is everywhere, and bolt actions chambered for that are everywhere....and supplement that with a 12 gauge pump or single shot, whichever one happens to be available right now (have a pump shotgun at the ready right now, so that goes)
Otherwise...there will be a lot of guns and ammo all over the place from people dying and people running and people not paying attention....if they aren't already policed up by the military or LEOs gone "rogue"...

I would try to get a .30-30 lever rifle, parts are relatively easy to work with, can find ammo pretty much everywhere......

One thing to note, I have been seeing $11 a box of 20 .223 ammo a lot more lately, so thats not much more than twice the X39 prices at Wal Mart, but just around that much from the "gouges" of a year ago... so I would say carry whatever you feel comfortable with....good chance there will be a thousand if not more of people with .22LRs and the ammo for them if the buying panics is anything to go by...

223/556 $8.99 all over

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads