JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, my beloved and I are up in Eugene for the very wacky cocktail party, of sorts. Alas, this one was not nearly as delightful as the last one, though we had fun together. There will be other antics in the summer months, including trips farther north, so other adventures are on the way, but I digress. Vita sic est.

Regardless, when traveling, I always think about "what if" it goes down when I'm and/or we are away from the homestead because I am vigilant, or a paranoid if one wants to to be nozzle about it. When in my truck, like the visit out to the coast, I'm well armed (AR, 1911, pocket pistol), but not on this kind of trip, in the wife's mobile. I am armed with a PPK/S (in .380 ACP / 9㎜ Corto) in a shoulder rig; mi esposita with a Beretta 3032 Tomcat (in .32 ACP / 7.65㎜ BR) in her purse. I've got a mag in the gun and a spare, she has a mag in the gun and two spares. Ya, lightly armed.

Question: if you were limited to pocket pistols or revolvers for SHTF, what would it be? (And, yes, this is one my thought experiments, so don't take it too seriously. :p)

Most likely a Ruger SP101, 3" barrel... hardly a "pocket pistol", but it's the smallest I own and usually have with me when I don't expect to target shoot. LoL
Hypothetically a Sig P365 with a spare mag, probably two.
Then perhaps a Savage 1907, for a fancy dinner party.

So, my beloved and I are up in Eugene for the very wacky cocktail party, of sorts. Alas, this one was not nearly as delightful as the last one, though we had fun together. There will be other antics in the summer months, including trips farther north, so other adventures are on the way, but I digress. Vita sic est.

Regardless, when traveling, I always think about "what if" it goes down when I'm and/or we are away from the homestead because I am vigilant, or a paranoid if one wants to to be nozzle about it. When in my truck, like the visit out to the coast, I'm well armed (AR, 1911, pocket pistol), but not on this kind of trip, in the wife's mobile. I am armed with a PPK/S (in .380 ACP / 9㎜ Corto) in a shoulder rig; mi esposita with a Beretta 3032 Tomcat (in .32 ACP / 7.65㎜ BR) in her purse. I've got a mag in the gun and a spare, she has a mag in the gun and two spares. Ya, lightly armed.

Question: if you were limited to pocket pistols or revolvers for SHTF, what would it be? (And, yes, this is one my thought experiments, so don't take it too seriously. :p)

I still have a couple older pistols that were "always carry". First one was NAA 5 shot .22. I know, I know. It was something I always had. So better than nothing. Safe queen I just for some reason held onto. When Kel-Tec hit with the P-32 bought 2. Now could pocket carry and literally forget it was there. Better. Then got a Ruger LCP II. LOVE IT! Can forget it's there but that and one spare mag are always there if nothing else. Wife now carries a Ruger SR22. I would rather something larger but she loves this and can hit what she shoots at with it so...............
I always look at this from the point of "any gun is better than the better gun you left at home". Another thing is if you are ever away and only armed with this, and all falls apart? Well you only have to shoot someone who has a better gun and take that :)

Something I knew we'll and trusted its reliability.

Sig 938/Kimber Micro . Great pocket sized pistols. Upgrade in caliber to my Colt Pocketlite in .380

M&P Shield 9mm. Slightly larger, highly concealable. Pocket carry in jeans.

Extra credit: CZ Scorpion EVO pistol. Hey, it's my road trip carry bag gun!

P365 with light tuck holster allows a dress shirt to be tucked in and the pistol concealed. This has worked for me when a suit is the dress of the day.

Not all pockets are created equal. I don't consider a Glock 26 a pocket pistol. Pocket pistols to me mean a micro single stack semi.

Sig 938 in that case. It has real sights and a 7+1 capacity in a package that is extremely small.

The Kimber Micro has smoother lines, but I did not find it to be as reliable or well designed.

You don't have a GHB in your SO's mobile?

You should (at least when you travel far from home) and it should have something more than a pocket pistol.

I finally convinced both my daughter and SIL to have GHBs in their vehicles at all times - especially when they go out to the coast.

Bottom line...

Get proficient with them and Remember that a pistol is used to get the a rifle if possible.

Be a hunter/gather.... just think of all the weapon's you may get to choose from .

LOL

Stainless Kimber Micro 9 would be my recommendation. Mine has proven to be reliable over several thousand rounds, it's 7+1 capacity with a couple of recharges should up your comfort level. It easily disappears iwb or in a pocket, full size sights and 1911 manual of arms...

542668BD-4419-4F34-A843-E2B91FF1B497.jpeg C007241D-D9D4-4D5E-B434-CDA9CFCE326F.jpeg

My small carry for situations like this is a S&W M60, 38. I keep an extra box of ammo in the GHB and two speed strips on me. It's a gun I shoot somewhat regularly and it has been with me 34 years now. As in, I can hit things with it. In a complete SHTF situation, could likely find more ammo if needed as was said prior.

Good on you for thinking of these things!

All I kept thinking was.

You drove there right?

Why isn't something better stored in the vehicle?

SHTF, fine. I've got XYZ in the car.

S&W 642 loaded with Gold Dot +P or my Glock 26 also with Gold Dots. I 'get it' that anything is better than nothing but this is what I've chosen. When I'm on the road, it's my G21 or G17 and several mags in easy reach.

You don't have a GHB in your SO's mobile?

We do in both vehicles (food, water, med kit, tools, space blankets, flashlights, et al.). Unless there is a reason not to, I have a long gun (an AR mainly these days, a Winchester 94 back in the day) in my truck along with handgun(s). My wife does not though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top