JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello fellow humans , Men and Ladies . I'm a proud Queenslander from a small town called Blackbutt , and I have had a challenge issued on a mountaintop with no roads or houses in sight . convert 23 inch chainsaw bar into a machete , what do I need a machete for [edited by moderator]. but I could use a slightly longer short sword to complement my 10 in bladed short sword , long knife really from the Japanese war , I hunt with a compound recurve and javelin and I asked Dr Google here I am , so if anyone would like to share some knowledge or tips I would be extremely grateful as I've never made anything from a bar before but am tooled up and enjoy playing in my shed , I'm Aussie , I know your thinking why don't you just get a gun ? New rule I hear is you have to root the prime ministers mum and she's getting on in years . Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rule #1: Regularly take your meds.

Tip #1: There is a sub-forum here for 'preparedness & survival'.

FWIW - My opinion (after 6 plus decades) is that anyone who wants SHTF to happen or thinks it needs to happen, has never been in a SHTF scenario. But that is just my opinion. YMMV.

Tip #2: People are more likely to read your posts if you break it up into paragraphs.

I just mean we need to cull the heard once common sence has left us and politicians wheedle the minority vote , if that isn't the time ?

and taking a stroll to a friends in Outback Australia can be scary , you have a gamble this time of year, roos are in rut . emus are just stupid still dangerous .
think about like angry drunk kickboxer who wants to fight everyone . And they are starving because of the drought , so even more aggressive than usual , you can't run , a bike is no protection, eye contact sets them off .
Balls to the wall my friend .

convert 23 inch chainsaw bar into a machete , what do I need a machete for [redacted content]
For starters, we don't talk like that around here. We don't trash or bash any group as this forum is centered around our 2nd Amendment rights. I'll give you the opportunity to edit your post.

Take a deep breath and check out YouTube for videos on forging. You really need to know if that is steel and if it's able to be hardened.

Last Edited:
Meds take me regularly Im just looking for advice on a certain project I'm fairly eager to start.

G'day Deviate!

I'm married to a Victorian gal outta Bacchus Marsh. If you're planning to make a machete from an old chainsaw bar, trace out the pattern that suits you, then either take a vertical bandsaw with a metal cutting blade or a cutting torch and cut it out, then fine finish the outline and cutting edge with a bench grinder and metal files.

You may want to heat treat the cutting edge area (not the entire blade) with a gas torch and quench it in water several times so it will hold an edge longer, yet still be a bit flexible so as not to completely shatter from work fatigue.

Cheers,

I just mean we need to cull the heard once common sence has left us and politicians wheedle the minority vote , if that isn't the time ?

Oh don't worry about a cull - humans are headed towards one, and we are doing it to ourselves. The phenomena is called "peak carrying capacity"; it happens when any population (plant, animal, bacteria, etc.) exhausts its natural resources and pollutes it environment with its waste. Sometime this century there will be a die off. I may not live to see it, but given human nature, it will happen.

But I think you are hinting at something else, altogether unseemly if I am not mistaken - I think I will just drop it, and let that lay there. I suggest you do the same.

Oh don't worry about a cull - humans are headed towards one, and we are doing it to ourselves. The phenomena is called "peak carrying capacity"; it happens when any population (plant, animal, bacteria, etc.) exhausts its natural resources and pollutes it environment with its waste. Sometime this century there will be a die off. I may not live to see it, but given human nature, it will happen.

But I think you are hinting at something else altogether unseemly if I am not mistaken - I think I will just drop it, and let that lay there. I suggest you do the same.
Global "eutrophication". :eek:

Bah where's your sense of adventure ? Gosh you guys are so serious , one can long for something for a side effect of situation without actually wanting it to happen you know , but if I'd does I'll just get to work , with a big smile .

Bah where's your sense of adventure ? Gosh you guys are so serious , one can long for something for a side effect of situation without actually wanting it to happen you know , but if I'd does I'll just get to work , with a big smile .

My "adventures" have left me partly disabled and scared. Those are the "side effects" that I could do without. YMMV

No violence would be required , just let them die really , there's an increasing part of society which literally can't do anything .

But I think you are hinting at something else, altogether unseemly if I am not mistaken - I think I will just drop it, and let that lay there. I suggest you do the same.

popcorn2.gif

My "adventures" have left me partly disabled and scared. Those are the "side effects" that I could do without. YMMV
I'm sorry to hear that mate I suppose that was a little insensitive , I mean the scam artists rip off merchants that ilk need to go the 90 yo lady next door I'll still help out , I'm from a small town 800 people we all look out for one another . but the tradie that tries to charge a 90 year old lady 6k to empty her grease pit , deserves his payback , and don't worry we looked after the old gal for free just to stick it to him. good times.

G'day Deviate!

I'm married to a Victorian gal outta Bacchus Marsh. If you're planning to make a machete from an old chainsaw bar, trace out the pattern that suits you, then either take a vertical bandsaw with a metal cutting blade or a cutting torch and cut it out, then fine finish the outline and cutting edge with a bench grinder and metal files.

You may want to heat treat the cutting edge area (not the entire blade) with a gas torch and quench it in water several times so it will hold an edge longer, yet still be a bit flexible so as not to completely shatter from work fatigue.

Cheers,
Thanks for the battle plan mate , I grew up in Melbourne, st kilda , back when no one wanted to live there lol moved to qld for the weather the women and personalities as soon as I was old enough to drive .

Loved visiting Australia as a kid growing up in SE Asia but dang things must be bad there:eek:

I can get a pretty good machete here for $10-20 at most stores.;)

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Personally, I would take some time and watch some videos on those guys making kukuri's out of a leaf spring. I have one and it'll do almost any job a guy could ask from it.

I watched the videos of your countrymen's guns being chop sawed and dumped into the shredder back in the 90's.

Just sayin

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews