JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is really good to know! I know many "clinical" drugs have a very long shelf life, but didn't know if the civilian stuff did as well! Thanks for posting this!
No problem, I was a medic in the Army and gained a wealth of knowledge from being in the medical company with "non standard" docs, vets, pharmacy techs ect...

Leave it to the junkies and speed freaks to ruin a good thing for us! (I'm only half kidding- I used to have self control issues of my own). Back in the day (a couple decades ago) I used to get prescriptions for a full supply of emergency meds from my family doctor for my mountaineering expeditions and long boat rides. It used to be super easy to get pain meds and antibiotics- now, not so much. Short of going on a procurement trip to Tijuana I think we're pretty much out of luck on that front.
On the topic of the devil weed, there are 2 main psychoactive compounds in marijuana. THC, which is what get you feelin groovy, and CBD, which is the molecule that has the pain receiving properties. Hippies and drug addicts can actually be quite industrious when it comes to figuring out how to get high, and the pot growers have become more and more scientific about creating different strains that have different properties. Now there are some strains of weed that have almost zero THC but tons of CBD, so upon ingestion you won't get high but will receive the amazing pain receiving benefits of the CBD molecule. You can also find CBD tinctures, lotions, and pure CBD oil, which is obviously pretty spendsy (unless you know a grower) but is actually somewhat of a miracle drug when it comes to pain relief. My knees are pretty bunged up from years of abuse and I've found that a drop of CBD oil under my tongue completely obliterates any joint pain I may be feeling at the time, and I feel ZERO psychoactive effects from it. I honestly can't recommend the stuff highly enough. (Haha)
Stock up on high CBD, low THC content marijuana products if you're looking for a natural painkiller that won't affect your mental state.
One more thing- there's a book I ran across one time that I really really wish I had grabbed because it's now out of print and impossible to find. It's called "opium for the masses", I can't remember the author. Basically it's a how to manual describing the process of making opium and other poppy based narcotics (laudanum, etc..) from start to finish. How to grow your own poppies, how to harvest the milk, and how to refine it. Growing your own opium is another really good option for a SHTF scenario I think, and I feel like any prepper worth their salt should have a couple packets of poppy seeds in their seed bank. If anyone knows where I can find a copy of that book please let me know!

Great info on the CBD vs THC content, thanks! Might look into that as a stock up item.

I used to have my primary care doc prescribe broad spectrum antibiotics for me for my odd travels. A few 5 day Z packs, similar courses for Ciprofloxacin.

Might be worthwhile asking your PCP for a scrip. It'd surely be a no-go on painkillers though.

While I am fundamentally against Weed, I do see it's merits and it is Organic, so I would consider having some around for these reasons! I do know there is supposed to be a couple of strains that are way better for pain management, but for the life of m, I cannot find which these are, or more importantly, how can I trust someone to help me get the right stuff, and not some crap that makes me hungry and focuses the "experience" making a bad time worse! Good thoughts!
STOP THE TRAIN:eek::eek::eek::oops:
Let's all remember that there are plenty of "organic" chemicals that will kill you.(rattle snake venom would be considered "organic". Black walnut is an organic means of worming your dog but it is toxic also)
Not arguing the pot consideration,just saying organic things can be toxic.
And I am going to get some fish antibiotics. As far as pain meds,I wouldn't want a tooth pulled with just pot. A person would want to find a doc that trusts you and has the prepper gene that would understand what you are thinking.
Pain killers can be had on many street corners but there is a huge risk of arrest and not getting what you think you are.
As far as teeth,I have had to drain a couple before. Couldn't get into the dentist in a timely manner and just used oral gel and a needle. That's what the dentist does,then send you home to take antibiotics for a week before the pull

Where and how can a person Legally find and acquire high strength pain meds and anti infection, post infection meds? I have just experienced something eye opening, and got me to thinking how could I survive a like instance with out medical attention! I had a tooth shatter and it got infected and was extreamly painful, so much so, that I passed out and had to be taken to the E.R. Long story short, How can a person deal with something like this with out medical aid? If I had pain management and anti infection/post infection control, The extraction would be the only other thing to deal with. How can a person cope with an extraction? I have never experienced pain like that in all my years, and this was an eye opener to me! Beyond dental, what other pain mitigation and treatment for infections can be found? Long term storage? Your thoughts and recommendations, and advice would be greatly appreciated
Don't discount otc drugs, changing the dose. I was in Spain suffering from a severe sore throat. Went to the pharmacy and the guy sold me Spanish ibuprofen 600 mg. Said to take 2. I felt great a half hour laer. 3 times the dose of U.S. stuff but worked wonders. Generic Advil and Tylenol are Cheap at most places and stocking up is easy.

And, if you are in Canada you can pick up a couple bottles of that Tylenol/codiene/caffeine stuff. The codeine content is pretty low but it's enough to dull the pain of most injuries. I'm not sure about the legalities of bringing it back across the border but I feel like you would be fine, as it is otc up there.

Modern medicine is so often taken for granted. Severe medical or dental issues are nothing to take lightly; plenty of people throughout history have died from stuff that is thought of as a minor inconvenience in our modern world. I don't believe there are often any useable "natural" alternatives to the better pain meds that wont get you addicted to them if used in excess. The best way to cope with a lot of these sorts of things is preventative care, to cut down on the potential for minor issues become major emergencies.

While I am fundamentally against Weed, I do see it's merits and it is Organic, so I would consider having some around for these reasons! I do know there is supposed to be a couple of strains that are way better for pain management, but for the life of m, I cannot find which these are, or more importantly, how can I trust someone to help me get the right stuff, and not some crap that makes me hungry and focuses the "experience" making a bad time worse! Good thoughts!
I don't use it either. However, when the structure of society fails personal outlooks on this stuff will have to change. Survival is survival. Traditional rules a philosophies regarding pain management will have to be set aside.

Yea, I changed my outlook on the Weed thing, I still wont use that for any narcotic needs, but the Pain Oils I have fount to be a damn near perfect pain mitigation drug! I picked up some a few weeks ago and tried it out for my bum hip, man that stuff worked great! I went and purchased a few bottles to spread around my gear!

The problem is that many companies still consider the use of any kind of marijuana verboten, so when it comes time to do a drug test for employment, and you show positive, then they can deny you the job.

We still have a ways to go.

I think the oils/etc. do have some THC in them, it is just a very low amount.

I am not worried about my current employer, but should I need/want to switch jobs, there is a possibility I would need to take a screening. I did for my current job.

Don't discount otc drugs, changing the dose. I was in Spain suffering from a severe sore throat. Went to the pharmacy and the guy sold me Spanish ibuprofen 600 mg. Said to take 2. I felt great a half hour laer. 3 times the dose of U.S. stuff but worked wonders. Generic Advil and Tylenol are Cheap at most places and stocking up is easy.

When I had back surgery 600mg Ibu was my script pill from the neurosurgeon, could take up to 3 a day. It replaced the oxy script which I didn't finish because I was feeling better. For me personally they told me to take 1-2 oxy, I found that 2 of it with two barley pops was perfect...allowed me to sit up and surf the net, as much as there was in 1997.
Now if the back starts barking it's three 200 mg ibus works pretty good. Be careful though long term regular use is NOT recommended.
Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads