JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So if you were to buy some land that could be used as a SHTF refuge, how far would you be willing that land to be away from your place of residence?

I'm actually thinking of buying some land. My primary motive is not SHTF, but I like the idea of owning a chunk of land and the bigger the better (as long as it is usable).

In a SHTF scenario, what would a reasonable distance to travel be?

Paraguay. One of the most foolish things I have done in my life is staying put here when I know it is going to be very, very bad in the next 2-4 years. Oh well. Watch the empire fail from the inside I guess.

Worst case scenario? You might not be able to go anywhere. Riots could stop deliveries to gas stations. Gas stations would be pumped dry by panicked people. Roads would be blocked. Roving, thieving and rioting gangs could overwhelm you. Anywhere is too far unless you moved there in advance.

My personal marker would be 250km away from the largest population center. If it is a true TEOTWAWKI then fuel/long distance travel is going to be an issue. Better to be out of a day's range or more.

Best bet would probably be to be there when it happens, as said above you think the road rage is abd now or people are crazy on balck friday. I just I can one of the jobs I have been applying away from the city and get moved before it happens. Because i know I am going to have to take a lot of people out where I live to hang onto what I have stored away and that is not I am looking forward to.

If SHTF for real, then I am making my way out of here on a dirt bike. Road closures will not be an issue. Lack of fuel would be an issue for me.

I'd buy a set of motorcycle luggage with saddlebags that hang over the fender and are held by the seat. Then I find gas cans that would fit in them. Then I'd stack the rest of the larger luggage and backpack on those with tie down straps or bungees. Then I'd actually wear a better backpack.

This is just an example and I'd look around more.

7pc Leather Motorcycle Travel Bags Saddlebags Luggage | eBay

I read somewhere that all major roads would be locked down within 6 hours of a SHTF event. I would figure 6 hours on the road as an absolute maximum.

Rural people aren't going to let a city full of people converge on them. They'll block the freeways with their big farm equipment and do the same for off ramps and roads into their towns. They'll guard them. I don't think anyone is going anywhere far. I see nothing but traffic jams. The last place I'd want to be is jammed up like that in a vehicle.

Our rural but paved road is a loop up onto the hill with only two entrances. It will be blocked and guarded.

Railroad tracks are a straight shot out of every major city. Used to ride my mini bike as a kid down the center between the rails. Heck of a ride until you get up to speed and it smooths out. Quads should fit also.

I would have to say, no matter where it is you should plan on walking there.
It will be a benefit if you can drive, but planning to not be able to is best.
That also means preparing a maintained supply stash at the SHTF location.
Unless I'm flying, I assume I will be walking home every time I leave the house.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top