JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spinach, carrots, cabage, lots of different lettues, peas, green beans. These are things that I have seen do very well in this area.
I put in a fall crop of lettuce and arugula. The slugs decimated the lettuce but left the arugula completely alone. Then that little snow put the hurt on the arugula. Didn't get in gear in time to put together some cold-frames.

I haven't been back out in the yard yet to check whether the cold just messed up the existing leaves, or killed the plants outright.

MrB

lol, I'm guessing you are about zone 5-6. Just google what grows in those zones. Red Potatoes grow like wild fire around here.

I tried some potatoes but I think I need to amend my soil more (too much clay) b/c it was a failure. What method are you using for your potatoes, Riot?

-d

Can't grow anything after the "Safe food Act" passed. Because you could get sick growing your own food.

you're right. i don't know how we made it through the old days when there were so many small family farms. i rest easier tonight knowing uncle scam is looking out for our best interests.

One year I planted a great 1000sqf of garden. 600sf of last years & 400 sf of new... Planted it with the best of love... and got nothing! I asked the 85 year old local farmer what I did wrong, I planted in beautiful soil, on a nice sunny spring day... like the book said. The farmer explained that there is a snow mountain within 30 miles, and if you plant before the snow is off the mountain, no matter how nice it is down here in the valley, you planted too early. He was right! Books are great, books with local experience... much better!
Consider having a coffee with one of your area farmers in the local "Greasy spoon" EARLY one Saturday morning when they're all sitting 'round. You'll find out what grows, and when.
If you can take a little country hazing, you might even make a valuable friend!
A1

I'm a fan of food that will live in the ground over winter. My potatoes do well and are zero effort. Leeks will last even through a mild freeze.

Most of your melon / squashes grow well, but are inedible or rotted almost as soon as they're ripe.

Artichokes are easy and keep coming back. Big though, if you haven't done them before. I always let them go too long before harvest, but you can boil the **** out of them and just eat the heart. I'm also fond of fruit trees for low effort/high output. Oh, and I have a good source of chicken poop... and eggs. Seems they come from the same place.

#1! Also Kale, Swiss Chard, Spinach, endive lettuces. A small plastic hoop house will keep these going all winter.

I've got a raized garden...to be honest I would just loosen up the sould a bit with a hand tiller and bury an eye about 4".

I'll have to try the raised bed route. I did my first round of gardening this past year and it was met with spotty success. Some veggies did alright and others mocked me.

-d

I have been growing:
Carrots, Spinach, New Zealand Spinach, Lettuce(Black Seeded Simpson, Red and Green Oak Leaf, Prizehead, Romaine, Buttercrunch, Bibb, etc.), turnips, broccoli, garlic, green beans, peas, potatoes, sweet meat squash, zucchini, pumpkin, asparagus, cucumbers, tomatoes(too many varieties), jalepenos, parsley, basil, chive, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, savory, strawberries, apples, blueberries.

All this and I am SURE I've missed a few things.

"Now I know why my egg tree wasn't growing."

Well, as a self-proclaimed expert on nearly everything it sounds like you're planting them too deep or too close together. :D
>> RIM SHOT << But seriously folks...

We have found tire gardening to work pretty well in this area. The black tires warm the soil around the roots. It also helps to start seeds/starter plants under lights or in a greenhouse early so when the weather turns clement you can have them ready to go. As far as slugs go crushed egg shells spread on the ground around the plants discourages them. My wife likes to go out in the morning with a shish ka bob stick and impale them. A bowl of beer or yeast water sunk into the ground will lure them to their demise. Be careful the PETA cretins don't find out though. I actually saw an article in the newspaper some time back in which some "expert" wanted to ban the use of fireplaces because an exotic slug liked to reside in chimneys and building a fire wasn't good for them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top