JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
May I also add: since you're preparing in advance, why not plant fruit trees and berries. Oregon has a wonderful climate for growing them! We have apples, pears (asian and european), plums, peaches, apricots, blueberries, huckleberries, raspberries, and (of course) blackberries.

Nice thing is that they give year after year with only a little help and encouragement from us. Plus, you can plant all of the other vegetables (mentioned by all of the postings above), in between rows.

Raintree Nursery (Raintree Nursery, fruit, nut and berry plants for the American fruit grower) is an excellent source for varieties that do well around here.

Bryce
Depends on which part of Oregon you are in. I live at 3800ft and have about 70 frost free days a year.......

Try currents, gooseberries, raspberries, blueberries. There's always 1 or 2 places on the property that is warmer. I have a friend that grows snow peas every years, despite others telling her she can't grow them in this cold climate. She found a spot on her property that has been giving her snow peas every year for past 5 years, with a little TLC.

ArmedAmish said:
Raintree Nursery (Raintree Nursery, fruit, nut and berry plants for the American fruit grower) is an excellent source for varieties that do well around here.
Depends on which part of Oregon you are in. I live at 3800ft and have about 70 frost free days a year.......

The guy from Raintree was on TSP the other day, made a point that made sense: Said most people go to their nursery and get the type, say Braeburn apple, that they really like from the store, not considering that their climate isn't at all like that where Braeburns grow. He said, rather than select a plant with great fruit, you ought to select one that thrives in your climate that has good enough fruit.

Made sense to me...

MrB+
--
Working my way up to A--

I think a little diversity would be important in a SHTF garden. Fruits and above ground vegetables are nice to eat but both easy to steal and susceptible to being trampled or burned either accidentally or purposely. Root crops offer a level of protection against these perils and deserve part of any garden space.

Has anyone mentioned Jerusalem Artichokes? They grow well here in Eastern, WA and you only have to plant them once. The plant once and harvest forever is my favorite kind of garden. Jerusalem Artichoke, horse radish, rhubarb, asparagus, etc. I have a developing patch of tall bamboo and understand the rhizomes are very good to eat. Also planted sunflowers a few years ago and have more every year without planting new ones.

Food is nice to have but it can be better with spice. Has anyone considered growning plants for spice? Many of us have a laurel tree in our home but may not realize that it's the source for bay leaves. Sumac grows along side of the road and the berries are used both for spice and juice {indian lemonade}. Gotta have peppers! Dried on a string, one bush worth of peppers can last for years.

Good point TC. In addition to the spices here is a list of some flowers and herbs that help repel mosquitoes and flying insects. And yes, some of these are tasty to eat too.
Geraniums
Hibiscus
Mosquito Plant
Catnip
Rosemary
Citronella Grass
Lemon Grass
Basil
Lavender
Peppermint

-d

Has anyone considered growning plants for spice?

Sure. Bay, several varieties of sage, thyme, rosemary, and basil went in last year. Also tarragon and tea. Will see which varieties came through winter the best, and will double up on those varieties this year. Also put in a couple of cold-tolerant citrus last year as an experiment. Want to try ginger this year. It is too bad we got away from herbs for landscaping. The herb plants I put in last year have attractive flowers (just as attractive as the ornamentals), but are so much more useful.

which kind of herbs had flowers?

The basil, thyme, oregano, and rosemary all flowered this year as I recall. As Thebastidge said, they were not large flowers, but there were sure lots of them, in a variety of colors, and they lasted a long time. They definitely attracted plenty of beneficial insects.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top