JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We're in USDA zone 8. We can grow most things which do not require a dry or subtropical climate. The two big problems I've run into around here (growing organic, at least) are those of soil quality (which can be altered with cover crops) and local molds (which can be difficult to fight, but are not impossible to defeat).

If it's any consolation, all the fellow gardeners I talked to this year had terrible results. We had gobs of trouble here (Portland area), both with the late spring wetness and massive slug invasion. Row covers (those hoops covered with cloth and/or plastic sheeting) really help with getting the soil temperature up and keep plants going until they get established. And an old steak knife is quite effective against slugs...

Can't grow anything after the "Safe food Act" passed. Because you could get sick growing your own food.

Grrrreat! Now the FFA (Future Farmers of America) is going to be banned due to their extremist veiws of agriculture and the 4H clubs are going to be tracked by DHS for there gardening, animal husbandry and basket weaving classes.

So is the USDA going to have Gestapo like agents at county fairs for the fruit and vegatable growers? How aunt Mables pies? Are they too banned because the apples were canned first?

SF-

Depending when and where SHTF, I think root vegetables are a good bet. However, cabbage is very nutritious and at one point has fed entire armies. I think I would have a garden that could grow cabbage, carrots, potatoes and the sort. But, people here must realize that fermentation is an essential tool in SHTF scenario. Not only does fermentation preserve food, it also helps the absorption of the nutrients and supplies a good amount of probiotic bacteria, that is very good for your stomach. A healthy stomach requires an abundance of stomach flora. Anyhow, I would have mega amounts of cabbage, which I would ferment as sauerkraut. Sauerkraut can keep in the fridge for like 5 months. Even, without a fridge or ice, you can keep Kraut for like 2 months or more in a cool basement or bury it underground.

Grrrreat! Now the FFA (Future Farmers of America) is going to be banned due to their extremist veiws of agriculture and the 4H clubs are going to be tracked by DHS for there gardening, animal husbandry and basket weaving classes.

So is the USDA going to have Gestapo like agents at county fairs for the fruit and vegatable growers? How aunt Mables pies? Are they too banned because the apples were canned first?

SF-

You guys let me know when you see any of the doomsayers predictions come true....just not likely in my book ;)

You guys let me know when you see any of the doomsayers predictions come true....just not likely in my book ;)

Why do you guys come in a preparedness forum to talk about how unlikely a scenario might occurr to be prepared?

That's like me going to a PETA rally asking them if they would like me to go on a McDonnald's run for them. See where this is going? I guess since we're in a gun forum, we can talk about how guns kill people and are only meant to take someone's life...oh wait, isn't that an oxymoron?

Well since almost 40 million Americans (1 in 8) are already on food stamps (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6465E220100507) AND we just set a global record high for food prices I'm not exactly sure what you consider to be worthy of concern. Maybe its not effecting the table at your house yet but it will sooner or later and prudent planning is... well, prudent.

Cheers,

-d

Last Edited:
Why do you guys come in a preparedness forum to talk about how unlikely a scenario might occurr to be prepared?

Sorry, my comments were aimed at the "garden police" idea injected into the thread. I whole heartedly believe in being prepared for whats coming. I garden year round and plan for disaster in many other ways, just don't buy into the idea that the police are going to come yank my tomato's out of the ground and don't find it helpful when things like that keep showing up in these threads. Lots of real things to plan for, don't need the drama of the other stuff.......

Bark, I agree with you that the gestapo isn't going to be running around pulling my tomato's up and/or fining me for it but to me individual gardening is a easy solution for many and it could make a difference to many people. Just wish the gubberment was actually encouraging people to do this.

/shrug.

-d

Pick up a copy of "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" by Steve Solomon. It will save you a lot of time and frustration.

++1 For "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" by Steve Solomon.

Also Steve Solomon's book "Gardening When It Counts" gives EXCELLENT advice on SHTF gardening.

A question to those of you who have grown onions in your garden with good success....how did you grow them? I have tried the last three years to grow onions and have had zero success.

May I also add: since you're preparing in advance, why not plant fruit trees and berries. Oregon has a wonderful climate for growing them! We have apples, pears (asian and european), plums, peaches, apricots, blueberries, huckleberries, raspberries, and (of course) blackberries.

Nice thing is that they give year after year with only a little help and encouragement from us. Plus, you can plant all of the other vegetables (mentioned by all of the postings above), in between rows.

Raintree Nursery (Raintree Nursery, fruit, nut and berry plants for the American fruit grower) is an excellent source for varieties that do well around here.

Bryce

Whooooaaaaaa there barkie-bark.....

That was sarastic humor and nothing more. These black letters on white background leave much to be desired when delivering a joke. In fact I was poking fun at the dooms-dayers so lighten up sparky ;)

SF-

Now's a good time to buy your supplies for gardening like clear plastic for hoop covers or hot boxes/cold frames, grow lights for starting seeds. If ya need a project, you can start building frames for cold frame gardening, or frame boxes for vegetable gardening on your porches. Bet there's old tires that can be picked up for potato gardens. As soon as it gets a little warmer, I get free cow manure to throw on the garden area. I urge everybody to start gardening, get your hands dirty this year, and see what you can grow. I'm going to increase my garden size this year. Last year, my garden gave me tomatoes, peppers, onions, parsley, mint, oregano, beets, green beans, winter squash, kale, spinach, corn, potatoes and swiss chard. I'm eating wonderful vegetables from the freezer now. I have canned beets and green beans, and also pickled some. They are delicious! I'm in North central Wyoming.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top