JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Agreed. But I learned from experience how plans need to change. I was developing a food self sufficient mini farm, now I'm in the city by a bus stop. I didn't give up on the idea of being more resilient, but i did have to go back to the drawing board. I guess the core idea stays the same, but when you are faced with overwhelming circumstances, they are gonna move you, not you them.

I hope you didn't take that, though, as a total loss. Did you not learn from your farming experience? Now you need to plan to bug out.

My main thing is to have multiple plans.

1st Plan- Bug out to a predetermined destination where a cache is buried

2nd Plan- Can't bug out to cache? Bug out to another location, nearby.

3rd Plan- Can't bug out there? Plan to stay as long as possible.

I hope you didn't take that, though, as a total loss. Did you not learn from your farming experience? Now you need to plan to bug out.

My main thing is to have multiple plans.

1st Plan- Bug out to a predetermined destination where a cache is buried

2nd Plan- Can't bug out to cache? Bug out to another location, nearby.

3rd Plan- Can't bug out there? Plan to stay as long as possible.

I like your ideas. I need to think about caching. I don't take my experience as a total loss, still own the property (although more as a head ache), learned alot. At the point I am in life I'm buggin in unless something like a Fukishima/Kathrina event occurs. I'm trying to make common cause with people around me. It is continually interesting to me that many people in the city are doing things that you should see happening amongst country folk - growing food , repairing bikes, DIY etc. I'm afraid rural communities are looking more and more like run-down srip malls these days - not all but the trend is there. As to guns, in the city context I'm working on my handgun and H2H skills alot more .

Everyone's situation is different
I would rather have an old Savage 24 22mag/20ga mag as a wilderness survival rifle.
failing that I'd take a 10-22 and a large handgun or maybe a pump 12ga
pistol cal carbines have a nich in confined spaces but an AK/AR will do as well and has range penetration
I would not bother w/223 bolt gun an AR is almost as good and a 223 does not have the power/penetration you need for long shots.
shots 308/300mag
A quality 308 semi will almost shoot as well as a bolt, probably better than 80% of the posters here can shoot, so to me having a bolt and a semi for one guy is over kill unless you can carry two with a complete load-out for each.
handguns:
gotta have 2, they should both be reasonably small no bigger than a Glock 17

Op i will agree with your general ideas but would like to make some suggestions.

AR - if you want to run this system in a shtf scenario it would be wise to explore affordable mil spec options. Thinking about whether your gas key is staked or not should not be on your mind if you are trying to defend yourself. Look to palmetto state armory or spikes tactical for mil spec at reasonable prices

AK - highly consider going with an ak74. Bar none cheapest ammo for an mbr now. 2160 rounds for 290 shipped. Better terminal ballistics than the 223 and rugged ak reliability.

Glock - good choice with the glock but would recommend a g19 or g17. Glock was based on the 9mm and functions most reliably in this chambering. The .40 s&w kaboom issue has largely been resolved, but it is a slightly more difficult cartridge to reload due to the high pressure.

All in all dont expect to find ammo post shtf. Definitely buy common calibers but buy it cheap and stock it deep while you can.

I reckon that I am an oddball here, but, I'd take my dad's remington model 34 bolt action .22 (takes about 13 rounds of long rifle .22, much more of shorts) for killing small game to eat.
I'll take my 5 shot .357/.38 spcl revolver for blasting evil doers up close.

A Mini 14 in .223 would be good for longer distance stuff (round here, the brush is tight, so a long shot is 100 yards)

and a 12 ga shotgun.

Don't forget to add a leatherwoman tool to the arsenal.. NEVER Leave home without it.

The rifles and pistols I have chosen if shtf are the following:
Protection:
AR-15
AK-47
870 security
Survival/BOB:
10/22
Tamer .410
.38 snubby
Hunting:
Semi-Auto 30-06 (inherited)
.17cal (small game)
870 12ga
Pistols:
H&K .40
Para-O 1911 .45
Back-up/Cache guns:
2 Mosin Nagant 91/30's (with plenty of ammo)

I really don't mind what others do, but I have spent two years selling and buying and consolidating calibers and gun types. For instance I own only Glocks because I already know how to disassemble and clean them and they fit me well. Any other good make would do too, I just happen to have Glocks.

For rifles I have only .22lr, 5.56/.223 and .308/7.62.

For shotguns, only 12 ga but a variety.

For pistols only Ruger .22lr, Glock 19 (9mm) and Glock 23 (40 SW).

When I buy another gun, it's one of those.

NOW I can buy or reload ammo cheap and stack it deep. The rifle and pistol calibers are also the ones used by NATO and police, so there "might" be a chance of picking up a weapon or ammo. Who knows.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads