Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SHTF Firearms

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by viehmann7680, Feb 27, 2012.

1. viehmann7680

viehmann7680 Centralia Active Member

I figured since this is a firearm forum... this is a good topic. I think every prepper knows that firearms are a "must have". You need them to hunt and protect. So I figured I would go over some of my picks that have been thought out and have reasons behind them. So I have picked some rifles and pistols based on use and practicality. I own some of them and am in the process of getting the rest of them. I hope this helps some people and hopefully I get some good feedback as well. I'll break them down into category, and it might seem like a lot... but some of them I will choose certain ones over others. They are all here for reference. I picked a lot of these to use the same rounds as well.

-Survival Rifles-
    1.) Springfield M6 scout rifle- Comes in 22 hornet and 410 or 22 LR and 410. It is an over, under and breaks down into two pieces. Which in my book makes it perfect to go into a B.O.B. I would get the 22 hornet & 410 over the 22 LR. It's centerfire and faster.

2.) Henry survival rifle (AR7)- This is a 22 LR semi-automatic. it breaks down and fits in the stock. Comes with 2 magazines. It all breaks down and fits into the stock that is waterproof and floats. Once again perfect for a B.O.B.

-Protection Rifles-
    1.) AR-15.- When I say this I mean the regular AR-15. All parts are interchangeable, and widely used. I would get one in 5.56... not .223 Check your barrel to make sure. For those that don't know, you can shoot both out of a 5.56, but only .223 out of a .223 barrel. Or at least you should only shoot .223. 5.56 is a nato round, law enforcement uses it, and a lot of people use it. Feild stripping is easy, and can get magazines in any size. And you have the option of a rail system for whatever you fancy. Plus DPMS now sells the Oracle for only $500! So you can get them for cheap now. i think everyone understands this one

2.) AK-47.- Shoots 7.62 x 39. These rifles are cheaper, easy to maintain, shoot all the time and have high knockdown power. Rounds are cheaper and this rifle is also popular with people. you can get rounds for cheap so it's easy to stockpile rounds. high magazine capacity. Easy as an AR-15 to accesorize now.

-Hunting rifles-
    1.) Ruger gunsite scout rifle- .308, magazine fed, bolt action rifle. It's a little pricey and hard to find, but a very practical rifle. you can shoot almost anything with it and is more compact compared to some rifles. Also has a scope rail on top.

2.) Mossberg MVP- This is a 5.56, mag fed, bolt action rifle. Once again you have the nato round plus it takes AR-15 magazines! A little pricey, and hard to find.

*note* both of these rifles were choosen do to their practicality during SHTF and being very versitle rifles.

I would do shotguns but they very person to person and need. Plus they're pretty simple and cheap. for me the Mossberg 500 combo, comes with a home defense barrel and a hunting barrel.

-Pistols-
    1.) Glock chambered in 40 s&w- I say this because glocks are popular, its a good caliber round. And most law enforcement carries them. So it should be easy to find mags, ammo, and parts.

2.) Beretta M9- It shoots 9mm, nato round. Also a very popular and cheaper round. This gun is easy to field strip, and is what the military uses.

3.) Once again something small, light and concealable, and personal preference. Rugar LCR, Taurus TCP, S&W bodyguard.

-Optics-
    When it comes to optics, its all preference. With actual scopes, whatever works for you. My point with optics in this is combat optics. A lot of people prefer to put red dots and things of that nature. They all work good and everything, except for the fact that they run off batteries. This is why I prefer ones that have laser etched reticles and fiber optics. I like trijicon because of the tritium. But others have the reticle even without a battery. Burris, leupold, trijicon, elcan. there maybe more. But these are all good combat type optics. I just prefer to not use batteries or be able to run them after the batteries are dead.

I have one in each category... plus a little more. But I think at least going with 1 firearm out of each category is a must... even if you don't agree with my picks. I just think some people don't put much thought into their firearm picks. Like durability, ammo, cleaning, etc... Because when SHTF you don't want to be trying to find odd calibers or parts for rare or not popular guns. All of these were picked for those reasons. As I said before, I hope this helps some people, and hopefully I learn something as well.

2. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

thanks for making me aware of the mossberg mvp, theres another one to add to the wish list

Boedy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. OregonG20

OregonG20 Junction City New Member

I agree with most picks. I have a Glock 20, with a .40 short and weak barrel to go with it. I also have an M9. I go with the AK for a survival weapon, because you never know when or if you will be able to clean and maintain it, and it is a proven design, like the Glock.

4. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

Ruger 10/22 - Squirrel, it's what for dinner.

Mossberg 500a or Remington 870 - This is your protection firearm.

AR-10 - Why waste time/effort and $$ on a 308 hunting rifle and a 5.56 defense rifle. The AR10 is a 7.62x51 assault gun that can shoot and kill anything on this continent.

I do think it is a good idea to have diversified common calibers avaliable. .30-06, .30-30, .308, 5.56, .270 etc etc

Sig Sauer P220 - Why dick around with anything but the best. .45 and "maybe" a 9mm if you want to diversify calibers. .45 and be done with it.

5. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

Oh and that Beretta you have listed is a pile of bubblegum built by the lowest bidder.

6. viehmann7680

viehmann7680 Centralia Active Member

As i keep saying about preference, its all on what you like. i actually choose not to do an AR10 because parts very, they can be quite heavy and harder to maintain. This is why I like the Ruger scout rifle. I choose to stick with weapons with similar calibers based on accesibility, and performance. I did this so it's easier to prep. i can buy in bulk and not need to buy 10 different calibers. Although If you can, I do see why diversifing is good. So whatever you can scavage up has a use. I get your point with the .45 as well. But once again 9mm is cheaper and easier to find than .45. And i've had this arguement with multiple people before as well. Yes you will do a lot more damage with a .45, but you are using it for self defense. Using a 9mm, which you will still have 10+ rounds. I'm not worried about if it's a 9mm, .40, or .45. I will get the same results with either caliber. I'd rather be able to stock more ammo away. But my springfield 1911 is by far the most accurate, powerful, reliable gun I own. So it would def be used.... just not a high round count and its heavy.

As it is with the beretta, I do not agree... to an extent. They might be made by the lowest bidder but I do not believe them to be crap. I spent 7 years in the Army, and a year and a half as an armorer. They have a bad rep from service men and women do to the fact that they don't change anything on them. So they get stuck with M9's with barrels that are way passed needing to be replaced. Other than the barrels I've seen them go through some serious stuff without having any issues. And in my time using them I have personally never had a problem with them. They are a little heavy, but very reliable. And you have to worry about barrels burning out on any firearm.

7. Kaniffy117

Kaniffy117 Edmonds Member

My Mini-14, AK47, and Glock are my picks. Mini has a scope on it and several 30 rnd mags, so I can hunt with it and my AK47 is my go to protection rifle. Glock 21 in .45 cause its a glock and people still use .45. got plenty of ammo for all three

8. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Ya know I bought the Ruger Gunsite Scout as my all purpose SHTF rifle. It's a .308 bolt action rifle, Has a 10 round mag (polymer mags are MUCH better than the metal one it comes with), and a 16" barrel. The iron sights are dead on from the factory at 150yds. And it only costs you about $750.

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Why doesn't anyone ever recommend a Mosin in these threads? Abundant ammo...it is inexpensive and accurate...what is not to love? I'd rather have 7 Mosin Nagants than one Ruger Scout if SHTF.

10. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

You think 7.62x54 is easier to get than .308? If I ever in my lifetime have to get in a gunfight, I hope they have a Mosin.

In my limited experience with them they are not so accurate or reliable. But they are cheap. To each his own.

11. Norm0931

Well:
    1) I've never fired a Mosin, so unlike what I'm guessing you did here, I'm not going to bash a rifle or compare it to another I've never fired. Nor would I recommend it.

2) 7.62x51 ammo is more abundant in the United States than 7.62x54.

3) I'd rather carry 1 rifle than 7.

In any case thanks for your post. I look forward to never reading your condescending comments again.

12. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

My biggest issue with it is that it's about 12 feet long. Kind of hard to fit in the ol' b.o.b

13. Riot

I didn't bash anything, I just said I would rather have 7 Mosin Nagants over 1 Ruger Scout (pointing out that you can purchase 7 rifles versus 1, arm other people, have spares, ect.).

More guns in use and more available? Yes. More abundant? I doubt it.

Right now? Yes. During SHTF, no.

Why is that?
    The only thing to dislike about the Mosin is that they are big and heavy. That and they are picky about the scopes you can throw on them with the mounting system that will work with the platform. Don't get me wrong, there are deffinitely pros and cons for every firearm and the Mosin is far from perfect. I used to dismiss the Mosin, myself, as an antique showpiece. Now? Not so much. Now I have a Mosin in the safe and one buried in the woods somewhere in a cache. Would you do that with a Ruger Scout? I can get both my Mosins, place scopes on them and have thousands of rounds before you buy a Ruger Scout and a scope. Weighing those I say the Mosin wins, hands down. We all would want a .50BMG, but the cost of just bullets, alone, is enough to persuade you otherwise. Having said that, just because something is cheap doesn't mean it is a piece of crap. If it looks ugly, but works, it's a beautiful thing in my eyes! ESPECIALLY during SHTF.

auditrevor and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Norm0931

I'll try to break it down barney style since this is obviously a challenging concept. In my post do you see anything about, hey my ruger scout is so much better than all of your choices? No, it says why I like the rifle and that's all. It's a decent all around rifle and the cost is not bad. And then you feel compelled to post some bullbubblegum about how much better a Mosin is and how much you prefer it. That's great for you.
    So say,
    But then you felt compelled to take it further because your Mosin just felt inadequate and you needed to throw in a quick swipe.
    You just sound like a prick that feels a need to start arguments for no reason. You've never even fired a Ruger Scout so how can you compare the two??? For bubblegum sake man, grow up.

15. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

i know 20 guys with ar's and one with a mosin and tin of ammo so im going with an ar

16. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

You should have a muzzleloader of at least 54 cal. Powder is inexpensive, as are caps and lead. Probably a good idea to have a cap lock and a flint lock. If it really gets bad out there, you can always make your on black powder. projectiles can be most anything. Having run out of lead balls, a member of the lewis and clark exposition, used a projectile made of rock, to kill a bear.

17. Riot

That's a good point, you can always make black powder and lead cast your own bullets. Heck who knows, maybe in ten years the only people still totting around guns are all armed with black powdered rifles!

Funny thing is, the Mujihideen still employ Blakpowder rifles.

18. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

5.56 AR 15 is great defense weapon but for closer quarters or building clearance M 4 comes in handier.

hunting in wooded areas or small clearings you can use the AR 15 or M 4, being from Michigan Originally the number one deer rifle there for white tail is a 30 - 30.

Open range I like to use a Savage Axis xp .308 scoped.

for a compact pistol I like the Keltec P-40 .40 caliber no longer in production slip on the ankle real nice or in a jacket pocket, For close quarter cannon try the charter arms bulldog 44 special, tkae a little to get use, i shot high with the first few times, but if the first shot does not take a person down the noise from will scare a the person to death, first time I shot it it scared the heck out of me, this one not to use if you are afraid of sound traveling.

22 for critters 12 gauge for small game home defense with 18 in. barrel puts out enough of a pattern to cut a person in 1/2

19. Riot

Quick couple of questions...

How do you like your Keltec P-40? I've always seen the P-9s, do you know why they stopped making them?

And the .22lrs are another one I have to agree on. I know the AR-7 was recommended- I was looking at the AR-7 for about a year, testing it out and pricing it out. Now I just have a Ruger 10/22 with a Butler Creek folding stock. Not a fan of how the AR-7 is built and how much it costs versus the Ruger 10/22. To me the price and reliability wasn't worth sacrificing for how compact the AR-7 is....but that is just me.

20. Kaniffy117

Kaniffy117 Edmonds Member

Noob here, what does b.o.b stand for? Sorry this post isnt about what the threads about...