JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to see what comes out of this.. i know theres only about maybe 5 people on this forum that can say they have seen what a well train dog can due to a animal or person when it comes to personal protecion or guard dog like some people would say.. But if SHTF would you want to have a well train dog(or pack) there with you when it comes to survival..? please if u dont know its call google or youtube and look up..bubblegum all you have to do is look up (Personal Protection dogs). just because you have a gun doesnt mean you can shoot them before they get to you. you will be surpise how fast they can move..lol...
well lets see whats said.

I would have to take mine, they are part of the family. I could not bring myself to leave them. I WOULD PUT THEM DOWN FIRST. they are hunting dogs so they do work, plus they dont like strangers and are keen to sounds. might give me a second or two warning if some one or zombies are headed my way. they would defend any of my family members to the death. so plus one for taking them on a shtf senerio.

Well mine are not hunters but they are really good at telling me when someone is around. Plus the bigger one is pushing 70lbs so he is kind of scary just to look at. I know there would be problems with bringing them but as stated before I would have to put them down myself if it came down to it as I would not leave them on there own. I look at it this way also a animal might make a companion if you are on your own. Plus if it did come down to a SHTF situation they might be the only back up you have.

If I had my choice about it I think a pack of well trained dogs could work to your advantage. Yes you still need to care for them but they could hunt or track for you. Also if they were a pack type you could use that to your advantage.

If SHTF, I'm likely bugging-in and will esconce myself on my property. The flag will be upside down, driveway blocked off, claymores in place, and small arms will be at the ready. As part of that scenario ... My dog is a scary looking german shepherd who is also my first alert and will hopefully run interference for me when the time comes. He stays ... until he gets nipped by a zombie at least, then I'll have to tearfully waste him w/ my AR :(

If SHTF, I'm likely bugging-in and will esconce myself on my property. The flag will be upside down, driveway blocked off, claymores in place, and small arms will be at the ready. As part of that scenario ... My dog is a scary looking german shepherd who is also my first alert and will hopefully run interference for me when the time comes. He stays ... until he gets nipped by a zombie at least, then I'll have to tearfully waste him w/ my AR :(

Care to share where to pick up some claymore mines?

Care to share where to pick up some claymore mines?
I keep asking Santa. I know I'm on the good list. Yet year after year, no claymores, no grenades, no nothin.
Oh, and my dogs are part of the family too. They earn their keep. My house is "the one with the big crazy dogs" :). The largest is a 180# Rott, a big baby but certainly imposing.

I'm torn on this question myself. I love my Boxer, and she's tough as nails..a good protector, but If it was a bug-out scenario than no. I would not take her. Not only do dogs attract large predators, (lions, tigers, bears oh my) but they will give away your position faster than an itchy upper lip. In the end, I have to trust myself to deal with incoming threats. There are many ways to alarm an area, but when you're on the move, anything that slows you down is an invitation to disaster. I know a lot of people would argue with this, and some of those arguments would be right....I've just gotta balance this for myself, and it's important to make these decisions NOW, before its too late.....and sentimentality gets my family killed.

One dog to consider is a Chuhuahua. They hear things outside of your home or camp long before you do. They are very yakky but they might give you a few seconds to prepare for whatever. And, they don't eat much! A good survivalists dog! Let them do the barking and YOU do the "biting"!

The dog stays or goes with us. 30 pound rat terrier doesn't eat too much, hears everything, doesn't bark at everything, but sounds off when there is a threat, will (and has) attack an adult male and slow them down enough for me to do my part. In a SHTF scenario I am not too concerned about getting sued if my dog attacks my neighbor :s0025: Plus he should be capable of bringing down cats, turkeys, squirrels, etc.

Absolutely.

The dog* comes. If well trained, a dog is a second set of MUCH better ears that is on guard while you fill water bottles, crap in the woods, and sleep. In a pinch, the dog is food - but if you can survive through the initial panic/zombie infestation, your dog will become a valuable working asset when you begin growing and hunting food. And of course, a steady and loyal companion the whole time - helping keep everyone in your party a little more stable, especially children.

*We don't currently have a dog, but have had dogs all my life. We're preparing to get a puppy.

Just wanted to see what comes out of this.. i know theres only about maybe 5 people on this forum that can say they have seen what a well train dog can due to a animal or person when it comes to personal protecion or guard dog like some people would say.. But if SHTF would you want to have a well train dog(or pack) there with you when it comes to survival..? please if u dont know its call google or youtube and look up..bubblegum all you have to do is look up (Personal Protection dogs). just because you have a gun doesnt mean you can shoot them before they get to you. you will be surpise how fast they can move..lol...
well lets see whats said.

maybe a good dog could help you with your english?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top